Ive been playing getting up to a year now. my birthday is coming up and i have 400 bucks saved up. im wondering whether its worth it to upgrade gear. I really wanted to but now im having second thoughts mostly brought on because my parents didnt wanna get me anything. so here i have 400 bucks (spendable) and i was planning to get a roland cube 30x/60 and an ibanez fixed bridge. for the amt of time ive been playing and stuff is it worth it for me to upgrade now? I feel like I can justify it but i dont know if it will be worth it.
i would first save up like $600 and buy a tube amp cause the amp is like 80% of ur tone and then buy a guitar that gives the 20% a huge impact. BTW whats ur current rig?
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
400 isn't enough to get both an upgraded amp and a guitar. In reality it's barely enough for a more than entry level guitar. You could get quite a nice low wattage amp for that though. What do you want more? A better guitar or a nicer amp?
Moving on.....
you misunderstand. im playin a squier strat off a frontman 15g. i have 400 bucks on my own. i might be able to get money from my parents for my b-day or i can just have them buy me something. so maybe another 3/400 bucks if im lucky. im sure i also have some money hiding somewhere. and i dont want a 600 dollar tube amp cuz im playin in my bedroom. the 60 cube was suggd because its supposedly loud enough if i wanna jam/gig with a drummer eventually. i just wanna sound good for myself and maybe later on ill play with other peopl.

EDIT: to make it clear i can go for about 700-800 bucks for both amp and guitar. (800 if im really lucky)
You don't need a tube right now, and to get a tube amp you would need to save WAY more than that. I think buying a roland cube 60 would a good idea, I mean, if you wanna play in a band you just need an amp that's loud enough play over the drums, the guitar doesn't really matter for now. And the cube 60 is pretty versatile too.
so I say buy the cube then buy a better guitar when you have enough money.
dude the bugera 33xl is only $650 and it kicks ass man. THe only reason its not 1k or higher is because bugera isn't a big company like marshall.
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
maybe you didnt read the beginning... I DO NOT WANT A 600 DOLLAR AMP.

Sorry for the caps lock. its just i thought that should be highlighted. i decided a long time ago that a 600 dollar amp tube or not is way too much for me at this point. its like 3 times the price of my current beginners rig.
Last edited by nolifeXD at Aug 15, 2008,
can i get some help here? will this setup be able to hold me for a while?
dude my b i thought i was arguing with some one else sorry for the confusion TS

Also the rig u suggested is 50/50 not great not bad but if u buy that then u will more than likely end up upgrading again.
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
ok thanks well i like mostly metal/rock. anywhere from metallica to all that remains to dream theater (not playing that of course) led zepplin, iron maiden, etc. also interested in shred but sadly not quite there T.T
For an amp, a Mesa/Boogie F-30? They go for around $400-$500 used and it seems like it would suit you well.
damn sounds kinda expensive. remember im only playin bout a year XD

cant find that. is it on gc/ musicians friend? i searched mesa mesa boogie and stuff and all it came up with is a bunch of random stuff or nothing at all. which is weird cuz i know of mesa. so... anything else? i dont mind upgrading in the future i just want this to hold me over for a while. preferably a few years.
They don't make it anymore, so you have to buy it used. And Mesa/Boogie don't use online retailers either.
ah ok. do you think the guitar im plannin on will do me though? i was thinking like ibanez rg3exqm1 or something similar. ive heard a lot of good stuff about rgs except for the trems. so everyone said a hardtail would fix it.
Lower end RG's don't have that great a trem system. Go hardtail if you won't be using a trem all too often.
well yeah haha that was the general idea. so it is a good idea then?