I just wrote this for fun while I had a couple of things uploading to the net.

I believe in freedom of speech. I think that it is a very wonderful thing for individuals to be able to express their opinions and thoughts in any number of different forums to receive feedback and compare their values and beliefs with other like minded, or different minded, people. However, as with any discussion, there is bound to be someone who has very strong opinions about things they do not understand. Anti-whatever protesters come to mind in that they move in a herd with their "clever" slogans about a cause on which the only reading they have done is strictly a one sided rhetoric, without bothering to look at and consider the OTHER side. Despite what I might think of these people, I chalk it up to inevitability of the human condition and while I wish they would do some extra research, I figure I may be asking for to much from the common populous.

A conduit into my main contention would be the "Letters to the Editor" found in the daily papers. I don't know which inbred grotto from which these people have sprouted but I don't think it would be too much to ask for the government to reconsider their ethical code and bury these people alive for the sake of society. However, they are faceless as only their words are published.

Therein lies the devil, anonymity. Being anonymous on the Internet is certainly not a new phenomena, but in recent years it is becoming increasingly dangerous to the sanity of people who can read above a grade 1 level. For the purpose of this essay, I will use YouTube as a primary example, however; these ideas and opinions can easy spread and be applied to other website where people are allowed to post responses to media etc.

Anonymity is clearly going to be the downfall of the Internet. No longer will innocent surfers be able to go online and find information such as recipes which they are looking for because of the rampant stupidity which will be dominating the coaxial cable the late information was supposed to be passing through.

There are a number of examples that I can cite for the purpose of backing up my opinion, but I believe that it is an experience which is best lived. Go to YouTube, and specifically search "VS." or "Versus" videos in which someone compiled a video pitting two people against each other to gather opinions on who is the better ____________.

One recent example which I had unfortunately tripped over on my innocent hike through the cyber-woods was a video on who is a better guitar player - Slash (formerly of Guns and Roses, currently of Velvet Revolver) and Buckethead (also formerly of Guns and Roses and a number of other projects). This is a prime example of why you should never collect opinions online, unless it is a closed site of trusted people which YOU HAVE ACTUALLY MET IN PERSON, or have had regular, INTELLIGENT correspondence with (in case you're actually chained to your computer and proper social interactions have become a thing of the past).

The comments are back and forth, people disagree. This in and of itself is not bad, from opposing opinions emerges debate. But then 13-year-old self-proclaimed experts start "flaming" (which for those who do not is another Internet phenomena in which someone, the flamer, will hurl insults at another to exemplify their passion for their own standpoint, or against the person who is being flamed, aka the flamee).

The question I have to ask is why? This online argument is not based in any fact. At no point is musical theory of FACT brought into anything. When someone does try to bring in real information they are generally promptly flamed. In all of this, I fail to see HOW saying whatever you want to say FOR THE SAKE OF SAYING IT adds anything to a discussion.

Another example comes from my personal file. I recorded a video and posted it on YouTube (despite its inherent evils, I remove dumb comments to save the brain cells of other who may view my videos). I leave CONSTRUCTIVE criticisms but I digress. Someone left me a comment saying "I could do better than you, you suck". I might have the exact words off as it was a while ago, but there is the gust.

I thought to myself; "Hey, why not?" So I checked out his YouTube channel looking for his better version but I was met with emptiness on the channel, and sure enough, whoever it was was 13.

The Internet is supposed to be a society, a large global community in which we can all gather from our computer and greet one another across the world. It's like having the ability to stand out on your front porch in Canada and say hello to a neighbour who may be in China. Societies and communities all have their source of shame which they can sweep under the carpet, but I fear the Internet's carpet is no longer big enough to hide the mess which it has become.

Would this happen in real life? I can speak from personal experiences that it does not, but why? Again from my personal experience, when someone says something without any evidence to back it up or are just saying something so they can hear themselves speak, they are promptly told to shut up ... because people KNOW who is saying it. On the Internet, you never know who is saying it.

But where can we find a solution? We cannot ban young people from the Internet (because there are just as many highly opinionated "adults" as well). The Internet can be saved, the obituary is being written as we speak, but we have the power to prevent it from being published and rendering it a reality.

IQ tests. Everyone should be submitted to an IQ test before they are allowed on the Internet. Upon passing said test, you'll be presented with a licence. These licences would have to be controlled and regulated (thus creating jobs for the economy) and it would save honest, information seeking people from reading mindless posts from a young child who has nothing to do that trying to start arguments on the Internet so they can "flame" someone who in REAL life they would be frightened to make eye-contact with.

The Internet is a safe zone for stupidity but we need to make it dangerous for morons. Am I elitist? I don't think so, however; I am not afraid to speak out against the inherent evil which is slowly infecting the Internet like cancer killing both the Internet, and our brain cells.

R.I.P sensible online conversation and debate, you will be missed and forever in our hearts.

FOR THE RECORD, this obviously does not apply to all 13 year olds, and I did cite stupid adults as well, so please lets no get up in arms about age.

Also, this is just for fun, for it to be proper, I would have included a bibliography and proper citations of the source material with hyperlinks to the source but it was simply written as an observation.
Last edited by Travis Tricky at Aug 15, 2008,
Wall of text. Write an abstract please.

PS Since when is the internet anonymous
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Hey y'all!!! Me and my friend were over at her house. I we were wonder what guys think when they see a hot girl at the mall or whatever walk by. (We're both pretty as y'all would say "blonde" sometimes).

Quote by rabidguitarist
I just look like some homo.
Quote by yoshixxx7
Wall of text. Write an abstract please.

PS Since when is the internet anonymous

The Internet is anonymous if you want it to be. I could sign up for an account here at UG, MySpace, Facebook, etc. without giving any of my proper information. I could have a Facebook or MySpace account and ad decades onto my life, there is nothing which says I have to verify this information.

HOWEVER, there is a limit to this, you cannot do this for every site on the Internet as some will require a secure transfer of private information, but for site which are UCC (User Controlled Content) there are no stipulations in regards to this.

A person of any age could start a YouTube account and create a false persona and say whatever they want to say and people will think its some 45 year old woman spouting off about gender issues, when it's a younger male (or a male of the same age) who set up an account like that to have an online persona for kicks.

It's anonymous if you want it to be, I don't have to tell you anything about myself if I don't want to, and as such, I can say whatever the hell I want regardless of how stupid it is without people knowing for certain it's me.

PS - I don't write an abstracts for 1 page essays, I reserve them for longer scholarly papers, but since this is just a once page rant/joke, it can be read in no time whatsoever.
you're forgetting this is the internet, we need cliffnotes in 3 lines or less
Quote by seljer
penny arcade summed it up nicely: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/3/19/

just sit back and enjoy the ensuring chaos (The Pit is a prime example)

people have been arguing IRL just as stupidly as on youtube

Very true, it's all over the place! I don't expect anything to change, more of a rant for kicks as I find it very easy to entertain myself.

AND, I have never seen that comic before, it is simply brilliant! Thank you for sharing it.

Quote by seljer
you're forgetting this is the Internet, we need cliffnotes in 3 lines or less

That's the beauty of it, it's phase one of the proposed test - how much text can someone handle before they get bored and go searching of Flash games or a video which they can watch the first few seconds of and pass judgement. If they cannot make their way through a 1 page essay it's time to worry.
I saw it and immediately became tired.

It's quite girthy.
Flap it and enjoy yourself...

Xbox Live GT = The Donkey Fly
'...and those who fought on that day of honor, the day of victory shall be forever remembered as Lime Green' - Oct 31st 08
I agree man. It pisses me off knowing that one of the few places left for intelligent conversation is the pit (If you find the right people in the right thread).
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty
Through sounds that make on cringe
The dogs only hear us now

Quote by Travis Tricky
That's the beauty of it, it's phase one of the proposed test - how much text can someone handle before they get bored and go searching of Flash games or a video which they can watch the first few seconds of and pass judgement. If they cannot make their way through a 1 page essay it's time to worry.

call me cynical but it can be done

1. People on the internet are immature cocks
2. Mandatory IQ tests for the internet
3. ....
4. Profit?

did you really have to write all that to get your point across?
Write a blog on it. The pit won't take heed to a wall of text a paragraph or larger.
Quote by Kensai
I know a good joke:

Women's rights.
Quote by Chubbychunks
I know a good joke:

Kensai's life.
Quote by Dimebag Dave
Write a blog on it. The pit won't take heed to a wall of text a paragraph or larger.

Yeah.

This was posted on another site of mine and I just posted it here for kicks, this certainly wasn't composed for the pit as I understand it would be a complete waste of my time to do so. but, it does prove my point when people pop into the thread, see more than 5 lines of text, post a comment that it's too much to read (and really, why post at all? If you can't read it, I don't care to know about it.)

Another reason why I posted it here is too see what kind of reactions I get here as compared to another venue and compare some of the responses.

My Hobby: Writing nonsense and extrapolating very loose data on said nonsense :P
Ok well I skimmed through it and I'm sorry to say it's nothing more than a fairy tale because

1 The internet is a business so ISP's would never agree to a minimum intelligence requirement. They want to provide their service to the maximum number of people regardless of intelligence.

2 Your idea is unenforceable. What's to prevent an "idiot" from borrowing a "smart person's" ID to use the internet? How exactly would this "License" work? Furthermore, you would have to regulate it across the globe. Every nation would have to agree to a uniform system to regulate internet "log-in" privileges.
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Hey y'all!!! Me and my friend were over at her house. I we were wonder what guys think when they see a hot girl at the mall or whatever walk by. (We're both pretty as y'all would say "blonde" sometimes).

Quote by rabidguitarist
I just look like some homo.
Quote by yoshixxx7
2 Your idea is unenforceable. What's to prevent an "idiot" from borrowing a "smart person's" ID to use the internet? How exactly would this "License" work? Furthermore, you would have to regulate it across the globe. Every nation would have to agree to a uniform system to regulate internet "log-in" privileges.

also, just because someone is smart, it doesn't mean he'll be any less prone to initiating flamewars
Quote by yoshixxx7
Ok well I skimmed through it and I'm sorry to say it's nothing more than a fairy tale because

1 The internet is a business so ISP's would never agree to a minimum intelligence requirement. They want to provide their service to the maximum number of people regardless of intelligence.

1. Obviously

2. Of course it's unenforceable. That's why this whole thing was a JOKE, I don't actually mean there should be licences and IQ tests, it's merely a hyperbole based on exaggerated claims within the essay itself. There is no way to enforce this. If there were a way to enforce and prevent everything, there would be no crime.

Relax, this wasn't meant to be taken seriously, I am not out to singlehandedly change the Internet through an essay posted in the nonsense forum of a guitar website which I don't even have my proper name or geographical information posted.