Alright, I've been playing for about 6 months and I play an Epiphone Les Paul Standard and am still a beginner.

My question regards humbuckers on other guitars (unless I am mistaken). The pickups on my guitar have a metal covering over them, but when looking at some other guitars in my local guitar store I see some guitars with humbuckers without the metal covering.

Is there advantages/disadvantages to having the metal covering on/off, does it change the sound?
Or am I mistaken and the pickups on the guitars in the shop not humbuckers at all?
Sorry, if this is a newbie question, I'm just curious.
your guitar has the covers , but if you take them off, it's just plain humbuckers an humbucker looks like ... dual single coils I don't know if I'm making myself clear .

I don't think there is any big advantage or disadvantage in removing the cover, and I don't know how much would the sound be affected, but I hardly doubt it would be very different

The covers can roll off some of the treble in the tone but it's nothing you can't EQ out.

They are still humbuckers but more often than not the covering is a purely cometic choice.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
there still the humbuckers,,it doesn't realy matter if you have covered pickups or uncovered.
~Vince~
Fender MIM Telecaster ('06) [Modded]
PRS S2 Custom 24 ('13) [Modded]
Squier Affinity Fat Strat [Modded]
Yamaha F310

Mesa/Boogie Lonestar 1x12 Combo
Mesa/Boogie Mark V:25

SD Vapor Trail
Xotic SL Drive
Xotic BB Preamp
Boss BD-2
Boss DS-1 [MonteAllums]
MXR 10-Band EQ
I think the cover gives some class to the guitar. I have a Peavey HP and I wouldn't think of not having the covers on either my EX or EXP.

The penalty for having them is minimal. If you are curious, take them off and try it. In the end, I bet you find little to no differance other than gaining a little treble and as someone already said, that can be EQ'ed or pedal'ed out.

Just my .02

Chris