im building a 1x12 cab because im new to this thing and decided a 1x12 wud be an easy place to start, and i get it all finished, but the speaker is so quiet, even compared to my combo's native speaker, which is only 8"

why is it quiet?
-does guage of wiring affect resistance (should i have thinner or thicker wire)
-does my closed back design have something to do with it?
- are there any extra components i need other than a basic input to speaker wire connection?

sorry for the noob question but please help.
Schecter Emo-7--->Various Boss Pedals--->Peavey XXX 120watt head----->Marshall1960AV
Quote by -MintSauce-
Do I look like I need a team of helpers and trained animals to carry out my daily activities?
Quote by Invader Jim
You didn't port it, did you?

That may be it. You need to cut a couple small holes in the front (about 2 or 3" dia), below and to the sides of the speaker.

yea i got one in each bottom corner
Schecter Emo-7--->Various Boss Pedals--->Peavey XXX 120watt head----->Marshall1960AV
Quote by -MintSauce-
Do I look like I need a team of helpers and trained animals to carry out my daily activities?
did you cut a hole for the cone itself? Post some pics and we may be able to help you!
Does anybody know whether the guage of wire is an important factor? im just wondering in terms of resistance
Quote by -MintSauce-
as long as it doesn't go too far on either extreme it doesn't affect it too much. 16AWG would be plenty. I think even 20 would do.
this is gonna sound stupid, but how are u plugging ur amp into the cab?

and:
whats the power rating of the speaker?
whats the power of ur amp? (in watts)
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
this is gonna sound stupid, but how are u plugging ur amp into the cab?

and:
whats the power rating of the speaker?
whats the power of ur amp? (in watts)

well its a 15 watt hybrid amp and im running the cab from the line out in the back of the amp, and i beleive it is a 30 watt speaker
Quote by -MintSauce-
well from my knowledge, the line out jack cuts the volume so it doesnt overpower the recording rig (what the line out was meant for). i think.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
hmmm so is there any way i CAN run this cab at normal volume? the reason i wanted to make it in the first place was because i could get that little bit more volume and bottom end out of a larger driver...

when i actually first tested the cab i ran my stereo out of it and it ran at normal volume, is it all about the line out cutting volume?
Quote by -MintSauce-
probably. id say u probably have to mod the amp to have a speaker out....buy an output jack (like $3), and wire it up to the same wires on the current speaker...other people can describe that better than me....
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
probably. id say u probably have to mod the amp to have a speaker out....buy an output jack (like $3), and wire it up to the same wires on the current speaker...other people can describe that better than me....

Hmmm do headphone jacks also have a lower output? because my amp has just one line out which is headphones, speakers etc, i might just try the cab out with a friends orange tiny terror head and see what happens, thanks for the help
Quote by -MintSauce-
ya headphone jacks do also i think (idk about u, i dont want the amount of volume my amp puts out channeled directly into my ear!)
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Sounds like you're running a Vox AD15VT. The problem you're having is that the Line Out is pre-power amp. It's like running a preamp straight into a speaker. The power amp is what does the most part of the amplifying.

You would have to open up the combo to detach the existing speaker and reattach your new cabinet.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
^ yes.

The way I would recommend is to add a speaker out jack to your amp. (Note that this will likely void your warranty.)

Disconnect or desolder the two wires from the speaker in your combo, noting which is "+" and "-".
solder the "+" wire to the tip connector of a new output jack (female 1/4 inch), and solder the "-" wire to the sleeve connector.
Then wire a new speaker cable to your speaker in the combo , soldering the "+" to the tip connector of a male 1/4 plug, and the "-" to the sleeve connector.

This will allow you to plug in either the combo speaker or the cab at any given time. Just make sure that the impedance of the cab matches that of the combo speaker.
Quote by Sendrith
Sounds like you're running a Vox AD15VT. The problem you're having is that the Line Out is pre-power amp.

WHOA!!! ur magic!! how did you know what amp i have????
hmmm ok it makes sense, can i open up the combo and just install an input like, along the wire on the WAY to the native speaker so that i can have the option of either just the native speaker or both the native speaker+extension cabinet?
Quote by -MintSauce-
Quote by cedricsmods
Just make sure that the impedance of the cab matches that of the combo speaker.

hmmm well the combo speaker is 8 ohms and the cab speaker says 4-8ohms

will it work?
Quote by -MintSauce-
Quote by Ashervallen
can i open up the combo and just install an input like, along the wire on the WAY to the native speaker so that i can have the option of either just the native speaker or both the native speaker+extension cabinet?

That would alter your total impedance. If you connect the speakers in parallel (which sounds like what you are talking about) then your total impedance would be (Z1xZ2)/(Z1+Z2). If both speakers are 8ohm, your total would be 4 ohms. If both are 4ohm, your total would be 2 ohms. If one is 4ohm and one is 8ohm, your total would be 2.67 ohms (which could fry your amp). If you wire them in series, your total impedance would be (Z1+Z2).
Before using any speaker setup, you should know what speaker impedance your amp is designed for and match your speakers to it.
Quote by Ashervallen
WHOA!!! ur magic!! how did you know what amp i have????

I've got a Vox DA15, basically a ****tier version of the AD15VT
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Don't ever run a cab from the headphone jack. It'll burn up your amp. I learned that the hard way.

Also from experience: Run the speaker wires to a DPDT switch so that the speaker ground is isolated from the chassis ground or it'll hum like a tree full of bees.
lol so i should never ever run the cab from the line out?
Quote by -MintSauce-
Is it really that hard to understand? Just hook the speaker outs (from the PCB) to the poles of a DPDT switch and hook the amp's speaker the one set of throws and a 1/4" jack to the other set of throws.