I have a guns n roses song book and for the song Civil war the key sig has no sharps or flats so that means its in key of C right? So how do u know if its Major or Minor?

Also, it says in the book the solo is played in E minor pentatonic. How the hell can u play an E minor in a song thats in the key of C
It would be c major or a minor. c minor would have 4 sharps.
Perhaps they just didn't put the key signature in and put accidentals in instead? That happens sometimes.
EDIT: em pentatonic has the same key sig as C major, since there is no second scale degree in pentatonic. Thus the b2 doesn't matter. There's the answer to the other half of your question, and I'd guess the whole thing's in em pentatonic with some accidentals in the music.
I think the should be in C#, because E minor is the opposite key.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Dean Michael Schenker Custom
Ibanez MTM1
Ibanez Canary Chorus
Ibanez Shark Distortion
Boss CS-3
Dunlop DB01 Dimbag Crybaby From Hell
actually i just looked at it again and for the solo part i think the song shifts to key of G cause the key sig has one sharp for the solo section
Quote by metallica1222
I think the should be in C#, because E minor is the opposite key.

You have it backwards. E major is relative to C# minor. C# major would be relative to A# major, though Db and Bb work better.

And the whole song is in E minor, by the way (really Eb minor, because it's slack tuned.)
Oh yeah. My mistake. Sorry.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Dean Michael Schenker Custom
Ibanez MTM1
Ibanez Canary Chorus
Ibanez Shark Distortion
Boss CS-3
Dunlop DB01 Dimbag Crybaby From Hell
um i dunno how u say the song is in E minor lol cause the book has a key signature of no sharps or flats
Quote by Unreal T
um i dunno how u say the song is in E minor lol cause the book has a key signature of no sharps or flats

First, all these tones should be a half-step down, I'm not accounting for the tuning.

Anyway, look at the notes and chords in the song; the main riff is based around an Em-G motion (there's an F# in the end of the main riff, actually), the solos are all in the E natural minor scale and the little lead riff at the beginning is based off Em pentatonic.