Page 1 of 2
or something...

basically my idea is: A lot of people immediately say a song is crap because of its genre without even giving it a chance (i.e. Rap) So i wanted to try to fix that.

Here's how it works. Post a genre you hate and then someone has to reply to you with a song in that genre that you like. If you don't then someone else tries again. The point is to like at least one song in that genre.

edit: don't get too specific or this probably won't work
Last edited by vartanspartan at Aug 15, 2008,
Blackened-Doomcore.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by metaldud536
Bananacore

Toledos y Peixotos

Thrashgrind-Electronicore
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Great idea for a thread mate.

Death metal
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
My despised genre (besides rap)............

Glam/hair metal.
Schecter Tempest Custom
Squier Jagmaster
Epiphone Les Paul Jr. (Modified)
Crafter D-8

DOD FX50-B > EHX Little Big Muff > Digitech Whammy 4 >
Dunlop Cry Baby > Zoom G3 > Boss DD-7 > Digitech Digiverb

Orange OR-15
Marshall Valvestate VS100
Where's my Thrashgrind-Electronicore rec?
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Damn I don't dislike any genres...uhhhhh I guess Rap is my least favorite...maybe not. How about...yeah I guess Rap.
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
grindcore
Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE.

starter of the nadsat group
public enemy - harder than you think.

Its one of the few rap songs i can stand, along with most of flobots songs.
Quote by shredmeiser101
I tried BAGDAD tuning once, it actually was quite alright.

Quote by Meths
Do you have to actively try to spell words that wrong or does it come naturally to you?

Quote by MedicreDemon
You are very clever.

I invented this literary device I call sarcasm, that was an example of it.
I listen to music that's supposedly death metal influenced but whenever I try listening to something thats pure death metal I feel like shooting myself. So yeah.. recommend something.

And as much as I really don't want to like it, were trying to be open minded here so how about country?
Quote by redh0tchilip3pp
Aesop Rock - Daylight

It will change your whole perception of rap music.

That's frigging awesome . Anymore recommendations?
I hate Alternative rock ( nirvana, foo fighters **** like that ) show me some good alternative rock with a unique riff and a good solo ( fast and creative NOT like the one in In BLoom )
Quote by Machine Gun Cat
I hate Alternative rock ( nirvana, foo fighters **** like that ) show me some good alternative rock with a unique riff and a good solo ( fast and creative NOT like the one in In BLoom )

Jane's Addiction - Oceansize
Pearl Jam - Alive
Quote by Machine Gun Cat

well snow by rhcp has a unique riff
and dani california by rhcp has a pretty good solo, but its short and the beginning copies the riff to purple haze, but the wah wah part is sick

i hate death metal, and screamo and all that stuff
likee i hate slipknot
the only song i think is ok is before i forget, and i only like the chorus of that song
Slipknot isn't death metal, far from it, in fact I hate slipknot too, watch Invocation of the Continual One by Morbid angel that's real death metal and it's ****ing awesome
Quote by stratdud39
and dani california by rhcp has a pretty good solo, but its short and the beginning copies the riff to purple haze, but the wah wah part is sick

+1

For rap i think a good one is Sing for the Moment by Eminem

Quote by Machine Gun Cat
Slipknot isn't death metal, far from it, in fact I hate slipknot too, watch Invocation of the Continual One by Morbid angel that's real death metal and it's ****ing awesome

this is what i meant before; slipknot aren't anywhere near "pure" death metal but (especially on Iowa) they have a pretty prominent death metal influence. fyi I don't really like Iowa but I do like a few slipknot songs, mostly from Subliminal verses.
Expanding your musical horizon should require more than just liking a song or two. To truly get to know the music, one has to understand the musical cultures and values behind it. In other words, if you don't know what you're supposed to be listening for in the music, it doesn't do much to simply like a song or two.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Expanding your musical horizon should require more than just liking a song or two. To truly get to know the music, one has to understand the musical cultures and values behind it. In other words, if you don't know what you're supposed to be listening for in the music, it doesn't do much to simply like a song or two.

But it's definitely a start.

No need to take the title too literally.
Quote by vartanspartan
But it's definitely a start.

I think it's better to learn and get an understanding as well as listening to a few samples. Again, if you don't know what to listen for it, you could interpret the music in a wrong way.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by stratdud39
likee i hate slipknot
the only song i think is ok is before i forget, and i only like the chorus of that song

Slipknot is not death metal. They are nu-metal. And yes, they suck. They only have a few songs which aren't horrible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UFcqCESwZ4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SRD6mjrUMo

Please try to look past the growling. If you don't like it now, and you keep an open mind, it will grow on you. Just listen to the entire song.
Last edited by Masonpwiley at Aug 15, 2008,
Quote by Masonpwiley
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SRD6mjrUMo

Please try to look past the growling. If you don't like it now, and you keep an open mind, it will grow on you. Just listen to the entire song.

The guitar is amazing but I just can't stand the cookie monster vocals.
Sorry if this is a stupid question but does death metal imply that there are absolutely no melodic vocals?
Quote by vartanspartan

The guitar is amazing?!?! They are all amazing!

Give it some time. I used to not like it either. Just keep an open mind.

EDIT: You couldn't have listened to the entire song in the time between my post and yours. You need to hear the solo!
Quote by stratdud39

likee i hate slipknot

Death Metal is, like, Morbid Angel, Death, late-Behemoth, Nile, etc. Try "No Love Lost" by Carcass for a simple, catchy song with death metal aesthetics.

I haven't ever gotten into shoegaze...any suggestions?
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Well, I can't find the last person who actually contributed, so:

Black Metal
Quote by Masonpwiley
The guitar is amazing?!?! They are all amazing!

Give it some time. I used to not like it either. Just keep an open mind.

EDIT: You couldn't have listened to the entire song in the time between my post and yours. You need to hear the solo!

I didn't hear the whole song straight through but I skipped to the solo.
Quote by Sooopo
Well, I can't find the last person who actually contributed, so:

Black Metal

I don't listen to a lot of BM, but I'll try:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9FYIkuNnKc

Quote by vartanspartan
Sorry if this is a stupid question but does death metal imply that there are absolutely no melodic vocals?

No. Haven't you heard of melodic death metal?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_metal
listen to radioheads entire catalogue. you're musical horizons will be broadened ten fold.
Quote by Graveworm
The whole muagy thai or whatever crap is just meh to me.
Quote by Oguchi Onyewu
listen to radioheads entire catalogue. you're musical horizons will be broadened ten fold.

That's a pretty exaggerated claim.. they're basically just Alternative Rock.
I hate Metal.

EDIT: I love Metal!
wham, bam, thank you ma'am!
Last edited by DunnySun at Aug 15, 2008,
Quote by DunnySun
I hate Metal.

Then you're probably not going to be swayed. Go listen to some Metallica, probably the most accessible metal ever. Or if it's just really heavy metal, try the Carcass song I listed a few posts up, catchy, simple and the vocals aren't too extreme.

I still want some shoegaze (I don't hate it, I just want a reccomendation).
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by vartanspartan
That's a pretty exaggerated claim.. they're basically just Alternative Rock.

the bends = pretty much a alternative rock album
ok computer = little more experimental, comparable to dark side of the moon
kid a = much more experimental, good introduction to electronic/ambient music
amnesiac = similar to kid, much more jazzy influence

hail to the thief and in rainbows are pretty much a mixture of those 4 albums.

my claim was overly exaggerated, but radiohead as just basically being alternative rock? i wouldnt say so.

but its a great way to broaden your musical tastes, i know of so many people who just passed on Kid A and Amnesiac because they were very close minded to music.

good songs to start with are "Pyramid Song" such complexity for a "simple" sounding song.

and "Dollars and Cents" great dark jazzy type song.
Quote by Graveworm
The whole muagy thai or whatever crap is just meh to me.
Im Listening to the necrophagist and black metal recomendations at the same time .........freaken sick
Quote by Slaytanic1993
I still want some shoegaze (I don't hate it, I just want a reccomendation).

Try the classics, such as; Slowdive, My Bloody Valentine, Ride, The Jesus & Mary Chain, and such.

This also seems more like a B&A type thread.
Page 1 of 2