wow. that was an awesome story.

btw Kevin Smith saw a screening and said it was amazing. him being a big comic book fan, I now am confident the movie will be great.
Quote by Graveworm
The whole muagy thai or whatever crap is just meh to me.
who else has read it.

ending blew my mind
Quote by Graveworm
im on the last chapter now, ill finish it after im done reading this, but i just watched the trailer after reading most of it and wow, is that robert downey junior as the comedian?
excellent story

im really excited for the movie actually

it must be really hard to make movies out of graphic novels. since theyre pretty much storyboards already it leaves very little room for any creativity from the director, and any such creativity will be viewed as bad by the hardcore fans
The novel opens with the October 1985 murder of retired New Yorker Edward Blake. An introductory narrative and investigation by a pair of police detectives yields nothing conclusive: Blake, formerly affiliated with the United States government, might have been murdered by Communist Russians, but this could be suicidal considering America's current superiority in the arms race; also, Blake kept himself in excellent physical shape, raising the question of who could have overpowered him in the first place. The detectives conclude that, above all, they want to keep the murder quiet, for fear of attracting the attention of the last publicly active "costumed adventurer," the vigilante Rorschach.

Rorschach does investigate, however, and discovers that Blake was also a costumed hero: The Comedian, one of only two costumed adventurers who accepted government patronage under the Keene Act, which otherwise forbade costumed adventuring from 1977 onward (hence Rorschach's status as a vigilante). Believing that Blake's murder is part of a greater plot to eliminate "masks," as Rorschach calls them, he warns others: Jon Osterman, also known as Dr. Manhattan (the other government-sponsored hero and the linchpin of American nuclear superiority); Dr. Manhattan's lover, Laurie Jane Juspeczyk (the second Silk Spectre); Daniel Dreiberg (the second Nite Owl and Rorschach's former partner); and Adrian Veidt (Ozymandias, reputedly the smartest man in the world, who retired in 1975 and built a commercial empire).

Within the fictional context of the story, the United States and the Soviet Union have been edging toward a nuclear showdown since the 1959 nuclear accident that transformed Osterman into the super-powered Dr. Manhattan. Dr. Manhattan had disrupted the mutually assured destruction doctrine by possessing the power to neutralize most of the Russian nukes in mid-air. With this trump card in hand, America has enjoyed a distinct strategic advantage, allowing it to defeat the Soviet Union in a series of proxy wars, including victory in Vietnam. Richard Nixon used this success and, unmarred by Watergate (in a flashback, the Comedian alludes to having assassinated Woodward and Bernstein), encouraged a repeal of the 22nd Amendment, removing Presidential term limits allowing him to serve an unprecedented fifth term in office during the events of the novel.

Dr. Manhattan's existence has accelerated the nuclear arms race and dramatically increased global tension. In seeming anticipation of global war, American society has assumed a general sense of fatalism about the future. Signs of this in daily life range from "Meltdowns" candy to graffiti inspired by the Hiroshima bombing to the designation of many buildings in New York as fallout shelters.

As Rorschach continues his investigation, he is framed, captured by the police, jailed and subjected to psychiatric examination. Meanwhile, Adrian Veidt is attacked by a gunman in a public assassination attempt that he survives.

Dr. Manhattan, though supremely powerful, suffers from a decreasing ability to relate to normal humans. He accidentally upsets his lover, Laurie, and she leaves him, seeking solace in the company of Dan Dreiberg. Soon afterwards, evidence comes to light that a number of his co-workers, including his former girlfriend Janey Slater, have come down with terminal cancer. Manhattan feels that he poses a threat to others, and he exiles himself to Mars, in a chapter that reveals that he experiences time in a non-linear fashion. His break with the U.S. government prompts Soviet opportunism in the form of an invasion of Afghanistan (a delayed version of the real-life event), greatly aggravating the global crisis and prompting Nixon to consider nuclear reprisals.

These events are colored by commentary from a bevy of secondary characters, such as a teenage reader of the Tales of the Black Freighter comic-within-a-comic, the newsstand vendor from whom he purchases said comics, the psychiatrist evaluating Rorschach, the police officers from the first chapter and others.

Dreiberg, who believes his attraction to Laurie is unrequited, offers her room and board. They foster in one another a desire to re-explore their former lives as masked adventurers; while patrolling New York in Dreiberg's air ship they rescue the residents of a tenement building that has caught fire. In the aftermath of their heroism, their affection is revealed, at least momentarily, to be mutual.

Dreiberg's belief in Rorschach's theory about an unidentified assassin who attacks former costumed adventurers leads him to insist that he and Juspeczyk break Rorschach out of Sing Sing Penitentiary. Unfortunately, the news that formerly retired adventurers have gone rogue leads to the hate-crime killing of Dreiberg's mentor, the still-retired first Nite Owl, Hollis Mason.

Dr. Manhattan briefly returns to Earth to bring Laurie to Mars, as a discussion between them (which he has foreseen) is scheduled to take place at this time. In this conversation, she begs him to return to Earth and save humanity, an effort in which she is successful. This discussion has a profound effect upon Laurie, who realizes that the Comedian, whom she hated for attempting to rape her mother, was later her mother's consensual lover and, in fact, Laurie's biological father.

Meanwhile, the reunited duo of Rorschach and Nite Owl prowl the New York underworld, searching for hints on who commissioned the hit on Veidt. The trail leads to none other than Veidt himself, who has been orchestrating events all along. The company that commissioned the hit, owned by Veidt, also employed every associate of Dr. Manhattan's that had developed cancer.

Rorschach and Nite Owl travel to Veidt's Antarctic fortress, Karnak, to confront him. In a lengthy monologue, Adrian explains his early worship of Alexander the Great, which later turned to admiration of Rameses II (whose Greek name was Ozymandias); his realization that the current arms race and disregard for the environment would lead to cataclysm by the 1990s; his belief that someone must save the world, and that only he could do so; and finally, that the crux of his plan is to teleport a genetically-engineered telepathic monstrosity into New York City, a process that will kill the monster and cause it to emit a massive psychic shockwave that will kill half the city and drive many of the survivors insane. Adrian believes that America and Russia, perceiving an extraterrestrial threat, will abandon their arms race and unite in defense of their planet.

Veidt also reveals that The Comedian was killed because he happened to stumble upon the island where the creature was being bred. The murderer is revealed to be Veidt himself. Finally, he establishes that he is not prey to one major weakness of arch-villains: the tendency to ramble about their plans before they are executed. At the end of his explanation he reveals that the monster has already been teleported as intended. At 11:25 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, the monster arrives in New York, creating a cataclysmic shockwave that kills millions, including most of the secondary characters.

Laurie and Dr. Manhattan arrive in the devastated city and then teleport to Karnak, where Veidt watches the news and exults as his plan comes to fruition. Only these five former costumed adventurers know the truth of the matter, as Veidt has killed everyone else who knew anything incriminating about the project. Dan, Laurie and Jon agree to keep silent, sickened by the deaths of millions of New Yorkers but willing to countenance it for the sake of averting nuclear holocaust. Only Rorschach—who does not believe that the ends justify the means refuses to comply, and he prepares to return to America. Jon attempts to dissuade him, but Rorschach makes it clear that he will not compromise and demands that, if Jon wishes to stop him, Jon must kill him too. Jon does so, then returns to Veidt's fortress.

After destroying Rorschach, Dr. Manhattan talks briefly to Veidt. He plans to leave Earth for the time being to go to another galaxy for unknown reasons. (Musing about his new found respect for life, he hints that "perhaps I'll create some.") Betraying his guilt and doubt, Veidt apparently seeks closure from Dr. Manhattan: "I did the right thing, didn't I? It all worked out in the end." Dr. Manhattan, standing within Veidt's mechanical model of the solar system, smiles and replies: "In the end? Nothing ends, Adrian. Nothing ever ends." He then disappears, leaving the entire orrery framed by a residue appearing distinctly similar to an atomic mushroom cloud.

The ending of Watchmen is ambiguous about the long-term success of Veidt's plan to lead the world to utopia. Prior to the confrontation, Rorschach had mailed his journal detailing his investigation and suspicion of Veidt to The New Frontiersman, a far right-wing magazine he frequently read. The final page of the series shows a New Frontiersman editor contemplating which item from the "crank file" (to which Rorschach's unread journal had been consigned) to use as filler for the upcoming issue. The final line of the story is that of the editor's superior, indifferent as to which piece from the crank file is selected. He tells his subordinate—who has been established as not particularly bright—"I leave it entirely in your hands" with the subordinate's hand over Rorschach's journal.

Teaser Trailer:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/watchmen/high.html

...Can't fucking wait. This is my most anticipated film right now.
-\_/-
Quote by Fred1000000
BlackZeppelin is like Ghandi. With a bigger sense of humor.
it's the silence between the notes that makes the music.
Quote by gnpwdrtreason
im on the last chapter now, ill finish it after im done reading this, but i just watched the trailer after reading most of it and wow, is that robert downey junior as the comedian?

DID YOU FINISH YET LOLZ?
Quote by Graveworm
well, i was reading it. I'm more than halfway through. but now that BlackZeppelin has posted that, i may just read his post haha.

seriously though. it's a good story, and the movie looks good.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Watchmen is amazing. Worried about the movie though. Considering how movie studios have raped other Alan Moore works, it's difficult to muster up the enthusiasm for the Watchmen movie.

... That being said, I still think it is possible for this one to come out okay. It is the pinnacle of Moore's career, and one of the greatest works in comics, so it might be pretty difficult to screw up (or incredibly easy). The way I see it, the only way it can be good is if it either adhere's exactly to the novel, or if it alters it entirely so that it is impossible to compare the movie to the novel.
I hear that the rape scene is going to be intense.

That's right, a rape scene.. eat your hearts pitmonkeys.
-\_/-
Quote by Fred1000000
Repor
-\_/-
Quote by Fred1000000
^god i hate you... *reported*

EDIT: not you zep, though i can imagine you know what i'm talking about

Traynor YCV50 Blue
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Last edited by psychokiller99 at Aug 16, 2008,
I've never read the book, but the trailer is really badass. I normally hate superhero movies, but if this is as good as I think it might be, then I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

Does anyone know what this'll be rated? I'm assuming it's a PG-13 type movie, right?
Quote by KetchupLad14
Does anyone know what this'll be rated? I'm assuming it's a PG-13 type movie, right?

Boy are you mistaken. This is going to be VERY, VERRYYY violent.

Strong R, no doubt.
-\_/-
Quote by Fred1000000
Quote by KetchupLad14
I've never read the book, but the trailer is really badass. I normally hate superhero movies, but if this is as good as I think it might be, then I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

It'll be an R, for sure.

Also, it's not REALLY a superhero movie. Yes, "superheroes" are the main characters, but it's not in the same vein as, say, Batman, Spiderman, Iron Man, etc.

Seriously, read the book. Just do it. You won't be sorry.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by I_hate_kyle
Watchmen is amazing. Worried about the movie though. Considering how movie studios have raped other Alan Moore works, it's difficult to muster up the enthusiasm for the Watchmen movie.

i saw pictures, and it looked like zack snyder is going all out. like every little thing in the novel is in the movie. i saw the thread on imdb, but now i cant find it
Quote by Graveworm
Can some that has read the series explain Rorschach's final line inthe trailer? I just finished the series, and i find that it goes against what he stood for
My Gear:
MIM Jazz fretless
180W Ashdown 12"
GAS:
NOTHING
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
Boy are you mistaken. This is going to be VERY, VERRYYY violent.

Strong R, no doubt.

Oh wow. Huh. Damn, I'm a huge pussy when it comes to those things.

Quote by fallenangel20

Seriously, read the book. Just do it. You won't be sorry.

I've been planning on picking it up. Maybe tomorrow.
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
I hear that the scene is going to be intense.

Ha, just kidding. My friend is reading it, and I shall borrow it when he's done.
ok, yeah. my name is silly because I signed up when I was 13.

BEDBUGS
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
I hear that the rape scene is going to be intense.

I knew my rape sense was tingling for a reason...

And would Barnes & Noble have the book, or would I need to go to some obscure place to get it? Because I want to read it...
Quote by The Silent Fool
Where oh where can I get my hands on a copy of the book?

Borders should have it.

I remember I got my copy about a week after the trailer went online, and there were only about two copies at any given time.

Now they're stocked with about 10+ copies constantly, just from buzz about the movie.

Any big book store with a graphic novel section should have it, though.

Saxo-Walrus

Quote by Dirge Humani
I knew my sense was tingling for a reason...

And would Barnes & Noble have the book, or would I need to go to some obscure place to get it? Because I want to read it...

Barnes & Noble would for sure have it.
ok, yeah. my name is silly because I signed up when I was 13.

BEDBUGS
amazon has it for like 10-15 bucks
Traynor YCV50 Blue
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
"Quis custodiet
ipsos custodes"

I'll certainly watch the movie, the graphic novel was fantastic.
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

Last edited by Rust_in_Peace34 at Aug 31, 2008,
I just finished the Graphic Novel...

and I'm speechless. It was absolutely mind blowing.
-\_/-
Quote by Fred1000000
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
I just finished the Graphic Novel...

and I'm speechless. It was absolutely mind blowing.

Welcome, young one.

Welcome.

Saxo-Walrus

I just read it about two weeks ago. Kicked tons of ass!
Why I Love Spanish Women

I'm hoping by "crack" you mean cleavage unless you have some kind of bizarre ass-chest.

Quote by Kensai
Dude, relax. Don't be so rape about things.
Quote by fallenangel20
Welcome, young one.

Welcome.

A STRONGER LOVING WORLD.

...amazing. this movie will be a masterpiece just like the novel.
-\_/-
Quote by Fred1000000
I want to see this, and I never heard of the comic book series before this.
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
A STRONGER LOVING WORLD.

...amazing. this movie will be a masterpiece just like the novel.

you're right about that. i just read the novel. really, really, really ****in good. can't wait for the movie. hopefully fox backs the **** off.

but i think i need to read it again, i need to get a better grip on the ending. it just kinda fell on me. i was like "what the ****?" haha. it was really good though.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
"Heard joke once: Man goes to Doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says 'Treatment is simple. Great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up'. Man bursts into tears. Says 'But Doctor...I am Pagliacci.' Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains."
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

What's Alan Moore's take on the movie? He was really displeased with the V for Vendetta movie, if I recall correctly.
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
Alan Moore doesn't support any decision the movie industry makes. No matter how badass it looks, he 's just against it.
-\_/-
Quote by Fred1000000
i read it. It was my second book that i read by alan moore, the first being v for vendetta, and my 3rd graphic novel that i read. I abosolutely loved it. Can't wait for the film.
"I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for whom I am not"-Kurt Cobain