ok so very very recently (like today) i have realized my alternating picking technique is not the right way of doing it, i realized it after my arm was hurting and wanted to figure out what the problem was so i played what i had just played again at the speed i was palying it the slowed it down to see if there was a difference and it turned out as i speed up my alternate picking stops being a wrist only action and becomes my whole forearm, and i think i subconsiously lock up my arm so i dont sound sloppy. i mean i have no problem right now other than my arm hurting after im done playing, which i know isnt good for me, and i also know that if i keep playing this way my manueverability on the neck will suffer. so does anyone have have bits of help on how to change my alternating picking.
thanks
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
wrong sub-forum, but anyways, you should just do that which everyone keeps getting as a response. slow it down till you wanna kill yourself, and practice it accurately, with absolutely no mistakes.
Quote by RCalisto
wrong sub-forum, but anyways, you should just do that which everyone keeps getting as a response. slow it down till you wanna kill yourself, and practice it accurately, with absolutely no mistakes.

o sorry whats it suposed to go under, just for future referance.
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Quote by RCalisto

oh my god
im seriously thinking about just not going to this site anymore.
im sick of everyone going "oh its in the wrong forum"
"oh wrong sub topic"
"your in the wrong spot"
just ****ing shutup about how hes in the wrong spot and give him the answer so then he wont have to ask in a different spot!!!
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Quote by RCalisto

oh my god
im seriously thinking about just not going to this site anymore.
im sick of everyone going "oh its in the wrong forum"
"oh wrong sub topic"
"your in the wrong spot"
just ****ing shutup about how hes in the wrong spot and give him the answer so then he wont have to ask in a different spot!!!

EDIT: yes i realized i did a double post and to be honest i dont care.
this site has good stuff, good tabs and alot of good people to help out.
but some people are just total *** holes, never give answers.
everytime they answer its "wrong forum n00b"
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Last edited by musicTHEORYnerd at Aug 16, 2008,
^ lol at you.
he DID post in the wrong forum and i did answer his question.
lol at you.
lol at you.
turns out i was talking about the wrong technique i meant tremolo picking. i can alternate very strictly if i have to and my wrist movement is perfect but my high speed tremolo picking involves my whole forearm and i dont use my wrist
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
@MusicTheoryNerd

1. People try to point people to the right section of the site so that one, the forums are more organized, and two, they get better answers.
2. RCalisto gave him an answer, so stop botching about people not helping when:
3. You have contributed nothing to the thread.

F8, personally I reccomend trying to use the same motion for alt. picking and tremolo picking. It will give you more consistancy, and it will be easier to practice them.
Quote by TheShred201

F8, personally I reccomend trying to use the same motion for alt. picking and tremolo picking. It will give you more consistancy, and it will be easier to practice them.

Yes! Picking-wise, the two are exactly the same thing.

The only way to break any bad habit is slow it right down, and spend some time getting used to the new habit. Practice in front of a mirror. Especially when you're picking up speed with your new technique, elbow picking can sometimes creep in without you noticing it.

Don't worry about using some elbow to cross (and especially skip) strings. That's good. Think about your wrist as Paul Gilbert's drill rapidly picking a string. You use the elbow to move the drill from string to string, but never to do the actual drilling. Hopefully that made sense!