ok so im wondering y ever one says that metal is played through the bridge pup casue i always use the neck pickup my gibby SG for metal cause it sounds "deeper" for lack of a better word. So y does every one say to use the bridge and also y does every one say that high output 'buckers belong in the bridge?

sorry if this is a noob question but i cant figure this out.
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
yea waht he said. also using the neck pickup can make it sound muddy. using the bridge pickup make it tight and crunchy.
Quote by StevoIRL
Hetfield what a man bit of belly but still what a man

Gear

Gibson Slash Signature LP
B-52 AT-112 60 watt
Digitech Rp90
Quote by sandman-105
ok so im wondering y ever one says that metal is played through the bridge pup casue i always use the neck pickup my gibby SG for metal cause it sounds "deeper" for lack of a better word. So y does every one say to use the bridge and also y does every one say that high output 'buckers belong in the bridge?

Higher output pickups go in the bridge because the strings vibrate more over the neck area, you put a higher output pickup in the bridge so you don't get a huge volume/gain drop when you switch pickups.

Generally you'll find that the bridge pickups sounds sharper and crunchier for palm muting and pinch harmonics are much easier to sound, so metal = bridge.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Generally, but sometimes for solos they go neck for creamier sound
Lots of shredders use the neck pickups for sweeps because it sounds smoother. The bridge pickup should be hotter for balance purposes.
Personally, I favor the mid position for riffs and leads, I've never been a fan of super-bright sounds. Middle position gives me crunch and lets it sing without excessive treble. Using the neck pickup can muddy the sound, though, and it certainly won't work for low riffs in a band situation because it crowds the bass.
Quote by sandman-105

Without going into deep specifics.

If you were to look at your strings, the location above the bridge position would vibrate less violently compared the location above your neck as it is where closer to where the strings are anchored to the tremolo. Due to the less violent vibration of the strings, you'll need a Pup which is more hotly wound to produce a higher output. In comparison the location above the neck pup has more room to vibrate, therefore less coils are needed to transmit the mechanical energy into an electrical signal. So a bridge pup need to be hotter compared to a neck pup.

In terms of the higher treble and lower bass response in the bridge, and higher bass and comparatively lower treble response in the neck, its also similarly related, but I'm not entirely sure how to explain it.

Sorry if this sounds messy, I just woke up.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty

If you were to look at your strings, the location above the bridge position would vibrate less violently compared the location above your neck as it is where closer to where the strings are anchored to the tremolo. Due to the less violent vibration of the strings, you'll need a Pup which is more hotly wound to produce a higher output. In comparison the location above the neck pup has more room to vibrate, therefore less coils are needed to transmit the mechanical energy into an electrical signal. So a bridge pup need to be hotter compared to a neck pup.

yeah i guess it does make since when u say it like that
thanks man

Side question what pickup would i use a neck or bridge for a master of puppets ish tone?
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
It doesn't matter as much as the amp; go for a modern high-gain tube amp.

Seeing as how you're planning to get a tube amp in your sig: EMGs. Either an 81 or 85 in the bridge, I can never remember which.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by sandman-105
yeah i guess it does make since when u say it like that
thanks man

Side question what pickup would i use a neck or bridge for a master of puppets ish tone?

The bridge for most of it, and neck for the solos.
Gear:
Ibanez RG570 circa 1993
Ibanez S2020XAV
Carvin DC127
EVH 5153 50w
Orange PPC112
AxeFX II
I like to use the bridge pup because (like said) it's easier for pinch harmonics, and for that "not so muddy" sound

and I also found it works better for pick slides
Do you like Bagpipes?

Good for you

Quote by postmortem2006
Perfect metal stereotype;

If you have long hair, apparently your music goes RAGHHHHHRAGHRARGHRARGHHHHHHH.

Quote by Lt.DustyBanana
The bridge for most of it, and neck to hide the mistake.s

Fixed. Remember the days when the neck was the rhythm and the bridge went on for the solo/lead to cut through and so everyone could hear what you were playing? Yeah man, those were the days...

When looking for a bridge pickup for metal with a high gain amp, just remember these things: you want it to be clear, and you want it to be quiet. Now if you're going for a mid-gain amp ala Marshall, you'll want something higher output to push the amp a little harder.
You want Master Of Puppets tone?

You'll be needing an EMG-85 in the bridge.
And an EMG-81 in the neck.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
actually hetfield uses the EMG 81/60 combo, and uses his neck pup (the EMG 60) for his rhythm sounds
I'm talking about Kirk.
Not James.

Lol.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.