I've been looking at getting a Jem for quite a few years now, and now that my savings are approaching a comfortable level, the idea of getting that Jem is that much more realistic again.

I've been to a few shops and while I've not tried out any of the Jems just yet I have been visually shopping around. So is there a significant difference between the Made in Japan Jems and Made anywhere else Jems.

I've seen Jems made in Indonesia, and from the horror stories and personal experience I have with Ibanez made Indonesia, I wouldn't even go near any guitar made in Indonesia.

What about Jems made anywhere else but Japan, I have seen the 7Vs which were made in Japan and then other 7Vs made somewhere else (Korea I think) and the price difference was quite scary. Almost double in price I think.

Does its location of manufacture justify such a price difference?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
yes, actually i think almost all JEMS are MIJ, excluding the (i believe) JEM555, which was Korea. I'd distrust a JEM if it wasn't made in Japan, but that's jst me.
^ Yeah pretty much any JEM that isn't made in Japan (like the 555 and 333 I think it's called) is a non-prestige quality guitar priced higher than prestige guitar.

Avoid them they're crap.
OK, but what are the aspects and differences which justify such a drastic difference in price?

Any information would be great, maybe warping of the neck or weak hardware, complete difference in tone, bad wiring etc... anything would be helpful
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
yes, pay the extra for the good JEMs; you'll find a guitar that'll be a great workhorse and last for years, just like any quality guitar
The non-MIJ JEMs are all-around inferior versions of their MIJ counter-parts. Inferior parts, inferior build quality, over priced, etc...

If you want a JEM don't cut corners.
And dont listen to people when they say Jems are a waste and just as good as a prestige.

My jem is a cut above prestige. The action is so godamn low, and the neck is so comfortable.

Jem necks are like a Wizard Prestige with a very subtle rounding at the bottom, so its still very thin with just enough rounding to make it no so flat. It makes all the difference!
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Quote by T!AN
^ Yeah pretty much any JEM that isn't made in Japan (like the 555 and 333 I think it's called) is a non-prestige quality guitar priced higher than prestige guitar.

Avoid them they're crap.

+1

the trem won't be as good (that's the major one- if the trem won't stay in tune and generally isn't good on a guitar which, odds are, you're buying for the trem, it's a bit daft to buy it), also the generally quality of the guitar and hardware etc. won't be as good. if you can only afford a jem 555, get an rg1570 instead and replace the pickups, that'll be much closer to a "real" jem than the 555 will.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1

the trem won't be as good (that's the major one- if the trem won't stay in tune and generally isn't good on a guitar which, odds are, you're buying for the trem, it's a bit daft to buy it), also the generally quality of the guitar and hardware etc. won't be as good. if you can only afford a jem 555, get an rg1570 instead and replace the pickups, that'll be much closer to a "real" jem than the 555 will.

+1
only "real" jems are made in Japan no where else.
2009 Engl Powerball 100watt
1985 Marshall 1960a 4x12 with G12-65s
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400