Well I'm a high school junior and I am concerned about college

This year I am doing the running start program which means that I go to a community college for free for my junior and senior year

Now the main reason I'm doing the running start program is that I can take music theory and recording clases that otherwise I would not be able to take at my high school

So basically my plan is to get my feet on the ground before I attend a technical school for audio engineering.

My parents are extremely unsupportive of this idea, and they think that becoming an audio engineer is harder than becoming a succesful actor, obviously they don't know **** and living right next to seattle with enough determination and hard work I can make this dream a reality

The problem is is that I'm afraid I've set the bar too high. My high school gpa is a 3.8 and my parents expect me to start a family and make a lot of money while all I really want is to have a nice apartment or condo and enjoy my music and live a simple life.

So seeing as how my parents are not going to support what I want to do in life, are most scholarships for people going to a university?and how much state funding will I get if I continue to keep this GPA up? Will the state fund my schooling if I'm only going to a technical school only for audio engineering?

I live in washington if it matters

If you don't want to read wall of text just read the last paragraph
You Are Now Aware Of Your Own Breathing
Last edited by conquistador at Aug 15, 2008,
Don't worry about what your parents expect. It's not their life.
Quote by smb
Don't worry about what your parents expect. It's not their life.

Exactly....

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

If you have all of the right resorces and everything go for it. Your lucky you live in Seattle wa, I live in Vancouver wa and it sucks. Most of our radio stations are crap and theres nothing to do.
Quote by Trefellin
Anyone with half a brain knows that Jesus is way more metal than Satan. Lucifer was the worlds very first emo.

Quote by glowinghamster4'

i just want to let you know that made my day.

Quote by Weaponized
Solid state master race
im with smb. its your life. dont let your parents bring you down. and you can definitely go to whatever school you want. apply for as many scholarships as you can and then take care of the rest with student loans.
Quote by conquistador
If you don't want to read wall of text just read the last paragraph

this would have been nice if it wasn't the last sentence. haha

what're your sat/act scores? if you've taken them. cuz with a 3.8 and good test scores, you won't have a problem getting in anywhere, and you'll probably be able to get out of state fees waived, or possibly a half to full scholarship.

*i'm too awesome for a sig
Yea I mean even though I could make so much more money I just can't see myself working 8 hours a day doing something I hate...lifes too short ya know? I don't want to spend my whole life putting bacon on a table for a family

Does anyone else feel the same way
Wow, we are like the same person. I am also a junior with a 3.8 gpa looking at schools for music and audio engineering. I must say I am equally confused. I have no idea where to begin! I have seen all the tech schools for recording, but I want a four year degree in music. I heard about the University of Memphis from my friend who is going there starting this coming semester. According to him, they do both audio engineering AND music classes. I checked it out, and it seems like they have fair music and audio engineering programs, but it didn't seem like the a.e. course was as in-depth as a tech school. Sorry if this doesn't help you very much, I just thought it was cool to see someone else with the same dream as me, so I shared what I knew.
Hey I live in Seattle! How about that.
Isn't audio engineering a pretty broad field?
Quote by conquistador
Yea I mean even though I could make so much more money I just can't see myself working 8 hours a day doing something I hate...lifes too short ya know? I don't want to spend my whole life putting bacon on a table for a family

Does anyone else feel the same way
Absolutely. Do what you want to do. You won't get a second chance at being young.
Quote by Moose1309
Wow, we are like the same person. I am also a junior with a 3.8 gpa looking at schools for music and audio engineering. I must say I am equally confused. I have no idea where to begin! I have seen all the tech schools for recording, but I want a four year degree in music. I heard about the University of Memphis from my friend who is going there starting this coming semester. According to him, they do both audio engineering AND music classes. I checked it out, and it seems like they have fair music and audio engineering programs, but it didn't seem like the a.e. course was as in-depth as a tech school. Sorry if this doesn't help you very much, I just thought it was cool to see someone else with the same dream as me, so I shared what I knew.

Yea see from what I've heard is that audio engineering is a field based solely on experience and in most cases a degree in the subject doesn't mean anything becuase you arnt going to get any hands on experience with making music for clients, I like the recording connection program because it allows you to work with a real audio engineer with actual clients, it really gets your foot in the door

Search recording connection on google and you'll find it

And yea its a broad field my parents have never played an instrument, think rock music is the devils work, and that recording music is a hobby that will never get me anywhere in life haha I don't know how I'm related to them but I'm gonna do what I want to do anyway so whatever

Haha I wonder what they will do when they find out I'm athiest hahaha