Guys, keep in mind I know nothing about acoustic guitars other than how to play them.

The story:

I've been playing for a LOOONG time, and I've always used a guitar handcrafted by my friend. Sure, it was no three thousand dollar guitar, but the action was unbelievably low, and the sound was crisp yet smooth. The guitar itself wasn't too big or cumbersome either. Around April of this year, the guitar started to crack near the bridge, probably due to my not-giving-a-**** about humidity since all my other wooden instruments are just fine sitting in my room. So I spent $300 to buy a brand new Epiphone Dove. After buying it, I noticed the action was unbelievably high, and decided to do some modding. Then my busy job got me all caught up for about 2-3 months, and I just got a chance to put my hands on the Dove again in the beginning of this month. But man that thing sounded and played HORRIBLE! It was a nightmare. I did some lowering of the action by sanding down the saddle and the nut, but the action is still quite high when I go above fret 5, not to mention the worsening tone. I took it to a guitar shop, and they supposedly fixed it, but it's not that much better. So I'm stuck with a piece of crap, and don't have anything playable to use (besides the guitar from my friend which is about to break in two).

I want a new acoustic guitar (regular, not classical):

I know nothing about what wood makes what tone on acoustics if they're different from electric guitars and basses.

I know nothing about brands other than I don't want an Epiphone, Gibson, Fender, or Ibanez.

Looks are important! Natural finishes only, no sunbursts or anything w/ artificial colors.

Preferably the action is as low as possible.

Used for playing folk stuff. And a lot of Jack Johnson.
(Jack Johnson uses a Cole Clark FL2A in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3AsjB0XwSM, how's the FL1 compared to the FL2?)

Budget: $800, but I really want to say I have no budget. If it's a great guitar I can rely on, I will spend more.

I've been looking at the Taylor 214e, and it's $799 on MusiciansFriend, and read some good reviews.

None of that crazy Satanic-shaped guitars.

Any recommendations?
Last edited by AGP423 at Aug 15, 2008,
Didn't you say you have been playing a LOOONG time? [what do you reckon is a LOOONG time?] And you know nothing about what woods make good guitars? Give us a break. Buy something Asian as you'll pay for what you get in the guitar, not half of your money for the US names mentioned [noted that you don't want them if I read you right].
With your budget you will get a solid top of nothing special in US famous brands. For the same price you will get a superior sounding Asian guitar of solid woods that are already far superior $ for $ than any US brand.
Last edited by Akabilk at Aug 15, 2008,
Quote by Akabilk
Didn't you say you have been playing a LOOONG time? [what do you reckon is a LOOONG time?] And you know nothing about what woods make good guitars or what brands are good? Give us a break. Buy something Asian as you'll pay for what you get in the guitar, not half of your money for the famous US names mentioned.
With your budget you will get a solid top of nothing special in US famous brands. For the same price you will get a superior sounding Asian guitar of solid woods.

I know rosewood fingerboard on a bass sounds warmer than a maple fingerboard. I know a mahogany body sounds warmer than a ash body on an electric guitar. I don't know about acoustic guitar constructions. I know Epiphones make cheap copies of Gibsons, I know all Ibanez string instruments have low actions compared to other brand's equivalents. I know I don't want an Epiphone because the one I have is crap. I know I don't want Gibson because it's way too expensive, I know I don't want Ibanez because the tone is nothing compared to high/mid end guitars. I know I don't want a Fender because the only Fender products I can stand are their electric guitars and their straps. I know what brands are good, but given the fact that I've never bought a good guitar, I have no idea even if a brand is labeled "good." There are lots of expensive instruments that people from Guitar Center say are "the best," but aren't necessarily as good as other brands'.
Please at least try to help me, I'm not trying to brag about how good a guitar player or musician I am, I'm just here, sincerely, looking for help.
OK. sorry for the ambush. For your budget I'd look at the Larrivee and Seegull brands for superior quality guitars [you should get a solid wood for your price]. An Aust. Maton would also be the go [google them] but might be a bit beyond your price range in the US. Their dreadnought and OM size guitars [Tommy Emmanual plays OM size Maton] are fantastic. I've been playing close to 40yrs but I'm amazed as to what is available now a days. Wish I had the same choices in guitars when I was 18yrs.

New, I'd go for a Cedar top [warm] not Spruce, unless you wan't to wait 10yrs or so for Spruce to mellow out. By god they are just too 'bright' new!
Last edited by Akabilk at Aug 15, 2008,
How's Bunya? I've never heard of the wood type but some guitars have that as a top. Oh and anyone have any experiences with Cole Clarks? I heard they're pretty amazing.
I've bought a Seagull S6 myself and they are friggin sweet.Very nice sound and feel. Plus, and I don't know why, this guitar is one that has character in it and just feels unique.

Can't go wrong with a Seagull.
I play a Cole Clark FL2AC. I love it. Maybe not to everyone's taste, it has a distinctive sound which may suit some and not others. Cost new is probably outside your range, but if you can spend a bit more and you like the sound, do it.
I played more or less the whole Cole Clark range before settling on this one. I prefer the Bunya to Spruce tops, the sound is a bit more mellow. Only difference between an FL2 and FL1 is wood quality, that doesn't neccesarily mean sound is any better on an FL2, it will vary a little between the individual instruments.
My second choice would have been a Bunya Maton, can't remember the model - a lot cheaper but sounded and played brilliantly.