I have a really picky spec set-up that i want and i wanted to know how hard it will be to make a guitar.

Specs:
Mahogany Body (explorer shape)
Mahogany Neck
Bolt-On Neck
Ebony Fingerboard
Reverse Headstock
EMG 81 & 60
Volume, Volume, And Tone Knob

Those are the main things i want my guitar to have. I also want to paint it orange.

I want to know if 1. I can do all thiss with roughly 700 bucks. 2. How i could get the tools. 3. Where to buy the parts, wood, etc.
Obsession! Obsessive! Obsessed! Abscess!
Last edited by Dimefan69 at Aug 15, 2008,
here would be a good place to begin, http://www.warmoth.com/

i don't think seven hundred would cover everything, just keep saving money and go all out.
I think therefore I shred.

My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez VBT700
Fernandes Vertigo Elite
Ovation Celebrity Deluxe
Digitech GNX 4
Mm... Warmoth is a LITTLE expensive for what you want to do.

Do you have family good with woodworking and such, with tools? It's cheaper, and more rewarding to have a neck you built yourself, with your brutal hands.

If not, it's probably gonna cost a lot more than 700
Pick flowers not fights.
Make love not war.
Drop acid not bombs.

this sounds almost exactly like the ESP-LTD EX400...
SMALL CLONE of the EHX User's Guild

Quote by Ishiga
NOSOUPFORYOU.

Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
this is barely a question. only an idiot would buy a zune.
yeah its possible. im 15 and just got the first box of parts for my build. and $700 wont cover it if u use a pre-made body and neck, but u can get alot of hardware cheaper from this site:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/

u will hear bad things about that site, but its really not as bad as everyone says. not the best stuff, but fine for a first build.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Obviously im willing to save more. I know it will take some time. I will probably get the Body and Neck from Warmoth and the pickups from wherever. That will be the 700 and then ill save up and gradually get my parts.

And the guy that said its an EX-400, it is. lol. i just want to put my spin on things.
^puttin ur spin on things is always fun, isnt it

hell, thats why alot of us build guitars anyway! right?
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
How long is a peice of string?

(Devil's Rejects quote)
Breakfast; the most importent drink of the day.
good. Luck. You'll probably either burn, cut, scrape, jab or stub atleast one finger and unless you have experience with tools.... it'll end up like austinzor's build for better or for worse.
If you have a woodworking class in school: TAKE IT!
You will learn so much from it that you can merge with guitar making.
You seem to know what you are talking about by your specs and all. As long as you have the time, the money, and the drive what is stopping you?
Quote by ESP_Shreder
good. Luck. You'll probably either burn, cut, scrape, jab or stub atleast one finger and unless you have experience with tools.... it'll end up like austinzor's build for better or for worse.

christ you love yourself eh? i wouldnt say your build was a luthiers masterpiece
Quote by ESP_Shreder

Lmao!!! Well my first build was done when i was 15-16, mine turned out amazing, but that was with some good advice ad proper tools. If you dont have either I'd say its gonna be a pretty tough task, and trust me you don't want yours to turn out like austinzors... you want something remotely playable. I would suggest buying a pre-made neck, and lumber is pretty cheap. Making a body blank isnt very hard just make sure you have all your proper measurements and your set. Remember theres lots of factors when building a guitar/bass scale length is a BIG factor, probably the most important if you want the guitar to play in tune. Always work off the scale length and have a center line that way everything is in proportion to each other. Feel free to ask me any questions.
if your buying a pre made neck and body i'd go for ebay. Trust me its cheaper. I have just bought all my parts for 2 strats of ebay total $530 (thats for all the parts for 2 guitars including necks and bodies!) And no your not to young haha im 13
Quote by Bass-man43
Lmao!!! Well my first build was done when i was 15-16, mine turned out amazing, but that was with some good advice ad proper tools. If you dont have either I'd say its gonna be a pretty tough task, and trust me you don't want yours to turn out like austinzors... you want something remotely playable. I would suggest buying a pre-made neck, and lumber is pretty cheap. Making a body blank isnt very hard just make sure you have all your proper measurements and your set. Remember theres lots of factors when building a guitar/bass scale length is a BIG factor, probably the most important if you want the guitar to play in tune. Always work off the scale length and have a center line that way everything is in proportion to each other. Feel free to ask me any questions.

I will deff. get a premade neck, and probably a body, just because they have the routing done. i dont have alot of tools so anything i can get out of the way i want to. plus since this is my first build i just want to get the hang of things. the hardest part will be the wiring for the pickups though.
by the way your age doesnt matter
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Quote by hans the lefty

i just meant that for getting a hold of the tools, cause i cant drive and stuff.
yeah. Unless you have full access to a school or university/college's woodshop and they are pretty decked out you might have a fun time finding tools. It doesnt sound like you have any at home?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
Not really. just your basic hand tools.
ya a body should be fairly is to make with simple tools if you take your time, a router is nessicary. you can buy necks fairly cheaply of stewmac i think or ebay with the paddle headstocks so you can do your own head shapes. Im intending to make a bass soon but my dad Knows alot about woodwork and stuff and i have enough tools to make one. Get some books on making these and read over them.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by Dimefan69
I will deff. get a premade neck, and probably a body, just because they have the routing done. i dont have alot of tools so anything i can get out of the way i want to. plus since this is my first build i just want to get the hang of things. the hardest part will be the wiring for the pickups though.

Wiring the pickups is one of the easiest parts. All big name companies that I know of include wiring diagrams with their pickups, they are easy to follow and its a pretty straight forward process.
Quote by Bass-man43
Wiring the pickups is one of the easiest parts. All big name companies that I know of include wiring diagrams with their pickups, they are easy to follow and its a pretty straight forward process.

If you can use a soldering iron it's not very hard.
Quote by Phazer
christ you love yourself eh? i wouldnt say your build was a luthiers masterpiece

I don't know where you get this **** from, but I don't. I truly believe what I said. You get cut scraped and have your hands beat the hell out of and guitar building is not for the timid. If your bad with power tools, you could get seriously hurt. I have been around power tools for a few years and had a lot more (than I would have liked) close calls with either a band saw, dremel or something else.

It was no masterpiece, but I am damn proud to be sure. For a first ****ing guitar it was fine.
Getting a little defensive here eh?

TS, you can buy plans for making an explorer body online.
For cheap parts check out www.guitarfetish.com as well as www.guitarelectronics.com

If you don't have the tools definately check your school for them, and a teacher who can show you how to use them properly. If you have a teacher like mine you can do almost anything with his help.
Quote by thegrungyhippie
Getting a little defensive here eh?

TS, you can buy plans for making an explorer body online.
For cheap parts check out www.guitarfetish.com as well as www.guitarelectronics.com

If you don't have the tools definately check your school for them, and a teacher who can show you how to use them properly. If you have a teacher like mine you can do almost anything with his help.

I wouldn't actually use www.guitarelectronics.com if it's your first build.
They're extremely uninformative in the website descriptions, which will leave hasty guess work and/or thousands of emails and phone calls to them to make sure you're getting the right parts.
Pick flowers not fights.
Make love not war.
Drop acid not bombs.

Quote by ESP_Shreder
I don't know where you get this **** from, but I don't. I truly believe what I said. You get cut scraped and have your hands beat the hell out of and guitar building is not for the timid. If your bad with power tools, you could get seriously hurt. I have been around power tools for a few years and had a lot more (than I would have liked) close calls with either a band saw, dremel or something else.

It was no masterpiece, but I am damn proud to be sure. For a first ****ing guitar it was fine.

okay. the way you said it seemed like you were implying he wouldnt be able to do as good a job as you. peace.
Quote by hans the lefty

Agreed! On the other end, there are kids and adults who will never be comfortable with woodworking. For example, Calum started his Double Neck Build from Scratch at 13. This type of build is dependent on your woodworking skills and access to the tools.

Dimefan69, what you're planning to do is an assembly from parts which makes it way easier than a Build from Scratch. This is the best way to get started, IMO. The $700 that you have is more than enough to assemble a guitar with the specs that you want.

To put this into perspective, I was able to assemble a hybrid Fender PBass for my buddy for less than $200, including refinishing supplies. Good Luck!

www.stewmac.com is an amazing site for first timers. They have a great instructional section and also. Peace. I hate it when people criticize my work... :-( A school shop is a great place to start... I did and forgot to mention it! Go super slow while cutting the neck and body though. You can easily snap a blade. I did, but thankfully the teacher didn't care at all.

ebay is excellent for wood though.
in reference to the subject title... it's as easy for a 15 year old as it is for a 30 year old with no experience... age doesnt matter. I was holding tolerances of .0001" on a manual engine lathe when i was 15"

oh and the only problem with stewmac is the "stewmac screw". their prices suck
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Alright I'll basically sum things up for you and inform you of some observations I've made over the past year and a half or so. At 15 you should have the knowledge and common sense to build a guitar. 15 is a tough age because you aren't able to drive which just prolongs the process. Not having experience with tools is usually no problem if you are willing to learn how to use them correctly. If you take things slow and don't just learn as you go you will end up with a much nicer guitar. Making detailed plans and thinking before you do any cutting is always a good idea. I can guarantee you will not end up with a flawless masterpiece after your first build, it takes time, experience, talent, and skill to build professional looking instruments. If you mess up don't sweat it, 99 percent of the time there is some solution (one of my builds ended up in 10000 pieces in the fireplace because I was upset with some small details, looking back Those details really wouldnt have been that important). I am yet to see someone with an impressive first build that I couldn't find flaws in (not counting people who currently build professionally).
Ummm, never been the fan of the explorer body, but you can but luthier kits of ebay that are explore style for like 200 bucks. Great start in my opinion. I am into frankenstiening a guitar so yeah my say is useless here. and fro your knobs, I would do one volume, one tone, and one a afterburner since there EMG's. But thats me also. So yeah.
Guitar
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gretsch Electromatic 5120
Amp
Crate V33H head w/ Berhinger B412S
Effects
Crybaby
Keely BD2
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is my pet bunny. Will you play with my bunny?
(")_(")