Since I got a special offer from guitar center for some prefered buyer exclusive discounts on tons of stuff in the store, i figured I could get a new guitar for a really good price, and since i've had my eye on the Schecter C-1 Hellraiser for like 6 months now (the only guitar I really want outside of a dozen Caparisons), I've got to ask the basic questions.

- Reliability issues?
- Battery Life of EMG?
- Playability over time (any neck warpings, etc)?
- Intonation, tuning issues ,etc?

From what I remember of playing it, it sounded great, and played insanely well, and since the new ones have tappable EMGs, I'd imagine they'd sound even better than the last time i played an 07 model.

I'll be going tommorow to see about the discount (since it's happening sunday, but i'm leaving sunday for a week vacation), so any info between now and then would be great.

- RG_FANMAN

EDIT: By the way, I'd be using this guitar for assorted Rock and Metal, and switching between various tunings, but I prefer A440, Drop D, D Standard, and Drop C (ocassionaly Drop B) if the tunings figure into it. Amp's in the sig.
Last edited by RG_FANMAN at Aug 15, 2008,
Battery life on EMGs is approx. 3 months depending on how often and how long you play. (Note: Input jack on guitars with EMGs are like inputs on FX pedals. The battery starts running when a cable is inserted into the jack, and doesn't stop until the cable is taken out.)
My friend has the 07 model. its an amazing guitar. ive played it a few times and it always never ceased to amaze. for the battery life i would assume its the same as whats listed on musicians friend for the emg pick ups. which is about 1000 hours. the guitar is also super light and easy to play. i would go for it
I'm not a fan of the guitar, but I have played them. I don't think you need to worry about reliability issues or anything.

And if you go on the EMG site it tells you how long there pickups last I beleive.

EDIT- I looked up the battery life question. Supposably an EMG-81 battery last 623 hours of playtime.
That's just what I found anyways.
Last edited by caraluzzo at Aug 15, 2008,
nvm. its about 3000 hours for each pick up. but with only one 9v battery supplying the power. that probably cuts in in half. make its about 1500
According to EMG, if you never take your cable out of your guitar, the batteries will last for a month, but if you play a "normal" amount, you should only change twice a year.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
I've never been knocked over by the fretwork or nut work on Schecters, plus they tend to feel a bit sterile to me, but that is my preference. As for actual issues, I can't think of any.

EMGs will last a long time if you take a cable out of the guitar. I went a year on one and it's still kicking.
wow, cool; it seems like a really cool buy. and i'll probably go the 18 volt root for the EMGs, since they do seem to give em more headroom and an even sweeter sound. thanks for the help guys.
I've actually got another question; looking on guitar center's website, they list that there is a tap for the 81TW in the bridge, but it doesn't mention anywhere about a tap for the 89 in the neck. Can you tap the neck pickup? Having access to a tapped coil in the neck would really make me happy.
instead of starting a whole new thread on it i figured id just ask here since its pretty on topic. how hard is it to change the batterys on the emgs? is it likee a opperation where i gotta like take my guitar apart lol?
well but like how do you get to the place oyu put the battery. lol like do oyu have ot take the pickups out or somthing? i wanna put em on a shechter tempest custom if that matters
No, there's a little cover on the back. You just pop open the little plastic cover, stick a new battery in and off you go. Like changing the batteries in a toy.
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
Quote by RG_FANMAN
I've actually got another question; looking on guitar center's website, they list that there is a tap for the 81TW in the bridge, but it doesn't mention anywhere about a tap for the 89 in the neck. Can you tap the neck pickup? Having access to a tapped coil in the neck would really make me happy.

I don't quite think that is possible. The 81TW is designed specifically to be tapped. You might have better luck dumping that question in the Gear Section where someone who has experience with that pup config would be able to answer that.

At a guess, if you switched over to the neck pup and attempted to tap, nothing might happen.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ManInAClownSuit
No, there's a little cover on the back. You just pop open the little plastic cover, stick a new battery in and off you go. Like changing the batteries in a toy.

so doesnt that mean id have to take the pickups out? theres nothin on the back of my guitar that would give me access to them. sry im a total n00b lol ):
Ah, because it's a Tempest. I'm not really sure actually. I've never installed active pickups before.
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
haha mkay. im jsut hesitent to get them if im gonna have to be like.... tearing my guitar apart to change the batterys all the time lol
Quote by RG_FANMAN

The 89 is a tapped version of the 85.
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
Quote by QuebecMetal
The 89 is a tapped version of the 85.

Yes, I know that already, but on the GC website they don't list that any of the knobs tap the neck pickup, only the bridge. I'm asking if stock one of the knobs will tap the 89, or do I have to rewire one of the knobs to act as a coil tap.