I own a 1960a(slant cab) I heard that the 1960B(strait) produces a larger, bigger sound. Good for rock, is that true? how much of a difference does it make?
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
technically the straight would have a bigger sound, but i doubt it is enough to overcome the advantages of slant cab.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
advantages being what?
I play Metal, so a big sound is kinda important
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
So do I, and trust me, I very much doubt it is worth selling yours a buying a new straight one.

They are angled for a reason. The speakers are tilted to up to your ears, instead of your thigh. This means you can hear yourself in the mix better.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by dcdossett65
So do I, and trust me, I very much doubt it is worth selling yours a buying a new straight one.

They are angled for a reason. The speakers are tilted to up to your ears, instead of your thigh. This means you can hear yourself in the mix better.

Jim Marshall has actually said in interviews, the only reason they came up with the slant cab was for cosmetic purposes, just so the heads looked better on the full stack. Nothing to do with the sound.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Thats what I assumed most of it was, but still, technically it would make it more audible. My original point stays the same. It wont make a difference.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by Erock503
Jim Marshall has actually said in interviews, the only reason they came up with the slant cab was for cosmetic purposes, just so the heads looked better on the full stack. Nothing to do with the sound.

And humbuckers were created for the sole purpose of "bucking hum," not more output.

Not all accidents are bad.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
thanks guys
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by dcdossett65
Thats what I assumed most of it was, but still, technically it would make it more audible. My original point stays the same. It wont make a difference.

I get what you are saying and your point, but technically it would also be 2 speakers pointed at the rafters if you're playing in front of a crowd, so only more audible to you really.

I've even seen guys that turn them on their sides for live use. The straights sound a little beefier to me too, maybe not a huge difference or anything, but enough to form a preference. Granted, I haven't tested a lot of same manufacturer slant/straight for comparison though. I personally haven't really seen any advantages to slant cabs unless you like the look more, which is fine.

Quote by Haha, Crackhead
And humbuckers were created for the sole purpose of "bucking hum," not more output.

Not all accidents are bad.

never said either was bad crackhead.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids