Page 1 of 2
ive seen people that says that its harder to shred on a LP and i wanted to know why and how much because i was thinking on buying one
A few words

AJ, formerly in Human Abstract, (on Nocturne) before they sucked
Obligatory Gear List
Ibanez S2170SE Prestige
Epi LP Std w/ SDs
Morley Bad Horsie
Mesa Stiletto ACE 2x12
EHX Small Clone
Line 6 DL4
ISP Decimator
Guild Acoustic
My Band
My Youtube Channel
it's just harder to get to the upper frets because of the round part with the pickup selector, and the necks are a little thick
Quote by l3estever
harder to shred in comparison to what?

^^^^^agreed. plus les pauls wouldent be your best choice of guitar for shredding
wtf are ya talkin about man

just look at Zakk Wylde, he tears his les pauls to pieces

Buckethead

Slash
Quote by Windwaker
Buckethead has a custom neck on his LPs though.

it's still a les paul
Yes but the thickness of a standard Les Paul neck is one of the factors that make the Les Paul harder to shred on than other guitars
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
ah but that is part of the allure of playing a les paul :-)
GEAR

VOX AC15 / AC4
Fender MIM Sunburst Strat
epiphone les paul custom in white
Yamaha FG730s
The Tweak-O fuzz pedal
It's all in the player.

It might be harder, but you can "shred" (i hate that word) on any guitar
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
the mods need to baleet all of these goatse's, thats the second one I've seen in 2 minutes >:[
"A guitar is the human soul, speaking with just six strings..."- Eddie Lee

Irvine Kinneas of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
Quote by skvvisgaar
the mods need to baleet all of these goatse's, thats the second one I've seen in 2 minutes >:[

Agreed. I've seen Tubgirl in a few other threads. Jesus...

Anyways, on topic: It's supposedly harder to "shred" a Les Paul because the neck is thicker. It shouldn't be a big deal as long as you keep practicing.
I have no problem shredding the **** out of my LP
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Personal choice.

Ive got the 59 rounded neck on my lp custom, and I can shred so much better on it than my ESP
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
They have pretty thick necks, which makes shredding a bit more difficult than a guitar with a thinner neck.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by JLT73
I have no problem shredding the **** out of my LP

I am currently practicing really hard to improve my shredding skills and I stand away from my Les Paul Standard, because it has so low an action and is so easy to shred on that I use my other guitars to improve, because they are harder to play (ESP Hybrid, Charvel 750XL, Ibanez somenumberiforgot).
You can shred on any guitar that feels comfortable in your hands. Some people prefer an LP neck over an Ibanez Wizard neck, it's all personal preference.

That said, I prefer LP necks to shred on.
I like LP necks better. The only thing thats gonna help you play better is you. A guitar having a thin neck isnt going to do very much, especially if youre used to a thick one. I have an LP and an RR1 and I like both of them, but the RR1 doesnt help me play better. It's just different.

If the LP feels comfortable in your hands, then get it. It's not harder to "shred" on a LP, nor is it easier.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know what you meant
I Wanna know,
I Wanna know what you meant
Quote by Ghold125
well, buckethead shreds and uses a les paul. Nothing is impossible.

Bucketheads hands are abnormally huge and he is also very tall so his fingers are extremely long too. Buckethead even asked for one of his "V" shaped guitars to be made bigger because he said it looked like a toy in his hands.

Unless you have big hands its gonna be fairly hard to shred on a les paul. The heel of the neck is pretty big and the neck is thick. Get a Jackson or something with a thin, fast neck if you want to make it easy on yourself.

In short, Yes you can shred on an LP but why make it harder for yourself?
PSN ID: Blade3195
"A true shredder can shred anything, including small children." - Shred Gods
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
Thinner/thicker necks, larger/smaller frets and longer/shorter scales are not inherently better or worse for any play style. Those factors all depend on your hands and basically, your comfort. Some people find thin necks more comfortable, so they can play faster on them; on the other hand some people find thicker necks more comfortable and can play faster on those.

Similarly, the fret access 'proble': again, it just depends on your own hands. People with smaller hands will probably struggle to fret anything past fret 18 on most Les Pauls. Other people with larger hands can do it just fine. Personally I've used 24 fret Les Pauls with thick set necks and been able to fret it at 24 no problem - but then, I have larger hands than most people.

Also keep in mind, not every Les Paul will have the usual thick neck and shallow cutaway. Gibson themselves make a slimmer '60s' neck profile which is akin to some of the more modern Fender necks - very thin by most standards. Other brands like ESP for instance also make Les Paul copies that have slightly different sized cutaways for easier access or slimmer necks and so on.

At the end of the day, if you can't shred on a Les Paul, then jumping to a super slim Ibanez or some such isn't going to suddenly make you shred like a heavy metal guitar god either.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Dude, I shred on my Epiphone Dot semi-hollow... anything is possible.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
^ lol, I think thats the funniest thing ever.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Matt Heafey used to use Gibson LP's too before he got with dean, it's easily possible, will just need some practice and adjustments in your style.
Quote by shredforbread33
"A true shredder can shred anything, including small children." - Shred Gods

BINGO!!!
Well Zakk Wylde is just fine with the LP, and I give him props for keeping it old school by using a Les Paul.

But Les Pauls (and similar Gibsons) are hard to play in general from my experience. The thing is, you can't get the sound you get from a Les Paul with any other guitar.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
You can shred on any guitar, it just depends upon the tonality and comfort of the neck and bridge on the guitar.

People assume that one cannot shred on a les paul because it has a thick neck compared to, lets say a wizard neck on an ibanez. The laquer finish also turns some people off, although that comes down to personal preference. Some people also say an ibanez low-pro bridge is more comfortable to shred on because a normal floyd restricts arm movement, again, up to personal choice.

Some people also assume you cannot shred on a fender. The single coil pickups do not handle high distortion well at all, which makes it hard to use for metal shredders, but it is still possible.

Really, shredding is not a style of playing at all. It is more a technique. Saying you cannot shred on a Les paul is like saying you cannot sweep pick on a fender, it does not make much sense.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Last edited by kranoscorp at Aug 16, 2008,
Quote by kranoscorp

Some people also assume you cannot shred on a fender. The single coil pickups do not handle high distortion well at all, which makes it hard to use for metal shredders, but it is still possible.

I understand that most elements of this is personal preference, but saying single-coil pickups can't handle high gain distortion is just dead wrong.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
larger radius neck, smallish cutaway, also the bridge on some models is pretty tall and you have to reach over to pick depending on what model you get and what brand.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Here's a couple relevant pics I took beside the stage at one of Buckethead's recent shows.

As you can see he has no trouble reaching the higher frets even with the obtrusive heel of the Les Paul. Giant hands ftw I guess...
Les Pauls have thicker necks and they're single cutaways. So its kind of hard to reach the higher frets...I face that problem alot with my Les Paul. BUT this is just me, it's different for everybody.
Les Paul's usualy have thicker necks right
~Vince~
Fender MIM Telecaster ('06) [Modded]
PRS S2 Custom 24 ('13) [Modded]
Squier Affinity Fat Strat [Modded]
Yamaha F310

Mesa/Boogie Lonestar 1x12 Combo
Mesa/Boogie Mark V:25

SD Vapor Trail
Xotic SL Drive
Xotic BB Preamp
Boss BD-2