Page 1 of 2
My favorite band in the world is Guns n' Roses.

I am a diehard fan of that Marshall overdrive. I play 60s 70s and 80s rock. Zeppelin, Hendrix, AC/DC, Metallica etc.

I originally wanted an amp between $500-$700 like Peavey Classic 30, Traynor YCV50BLUE, Hot Rod Deluxe...etc. But now I want something in the range of $1000-$2000. The less the better.

Even tho I love Marshalls and never owned one, I am opened minded.

1. Orange Rocker 30
2. Marshall DSL401
3. Fender Supersonic Combo

Or should I just get a frigging JCM2000 DSL100 head with a 1936 2x12 cab. Guitar center has 12 month finance deal this month. I need advice.

I would get DSL100 package, but its alot of money. And I play at bedroom volumes mos of the time so I think the DSL100 will be wayy too loud.

I want to upgrade from my Vox AD50VT...and I want an amazing amp, with great overdrive. Please don't give me a mediocre tube amp, I want a superb kick ass amp between $1000-$2000
"(Monster cable)....oh they're durable. You can
tie up people with it
"

- Slash
Are you in a band? Do you plan on being in a band? Slashrocks seems to get a great G n' R tone from his Blackheart and those are only 5 watts.
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
in my opinion the dsls suck

any new marshalls suck

get a ceriatone and an avatar cab, this way your not doulbing the price for a 3$ logo

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

No Im not in a band, but I need a kick ass amp.
tie up people with it
"

- Slash
If i can finance it then its all good. But if I can't then, I can't afford it
tie up people with it
"

- Slash
Quote by timzee117
in my opinion the dsls suck

any new marshalls suck

get a ceriatone and an avatar cab, this way your not doulbing the price for a 3$ logo

The DSL50 and 100 don't suck at all....

anyway to the TS:

True Marshall overdrive does not cater to bedroom volumes. Unless you're ready to be pushing the volume on that amp to 5-6, you're not going to get the tone you paid $2000 for. Thats as simple as I can put it. If you want the most authentic sound, get a plexi (take the quoted above advice, look at Ceriatone) but they are louder than balls. My 30 watt plexi on 6 through a loud cab shakes the floor and has enough power to make most drummers sound like kids beating on pots and pans.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 16, 2008,
Quote by al112987
The DSL50 and 100 don't suck at all....

anyway to the TS:

True Marshall overdrive does not cater to bedroom volumes. Unless you're ready to be pushing the volume on that amp to 5-6, you're not going to get the tone you paid $2000 for. Thats as simple as I can put it. If you want the most authentic sound, get a plexi (take the quoted above advice, look at Ceriatone) but they are louder than balls. My 30 watt plexi on 6 through a loud cab shakes the floor and has enough power to make most drummers sound like kids beating on pots and pans.

Ok...so I went to Ceriatone and clicked on the full cabinet of JCM800 2204 and the price came at $840.

So ur suggesting me to buy from Ceriatone a "head" (I picked JCM800 2204) and go buy an avatar cab at guitar center? I fear it will be super loud and I want to know te quality of Ceriatone.
tie up people with it
"

- Slash
Quote by Irocknroll1990
Ok...so I went to Ceriatone and clicked on the full cabinet of JCM800 2204 and the price came at $840.

So ur suggesting me to buy from Ceriatone a "head" (I picked JCM800 2204) and go buy an avatar cab at guitar center? I fear it will be super loud and I want to know te quality of Ceriatone.

Yes. Buy a Ceriatone head and a speaker cabinet. You won't find Avatars (unless used) at GC. They're sold direct and provide decent cabs for very cheap.

If you want something more usable in a bedroom, home practice environment, I suggest you look at the 18 watt TMB clones rather than a 2204. Even the 18 watt will be really too loud to turn up in a bedroom, but at least you will be able to somewhat drive the power tubes at a more reasonable volume.

And Ceriatone makes very good amps, they're all handwired, ptp and far ahead of Marshall's reissues.
18 watt TMB is that good?? Like even tho its lower wattage, can it roar? Cuz I need a great 80s rock roar.
tie up people with it
"

- Slash
I also like ALOT of "omph" sound. Can this 18 watt TMB with a 2x12 marshall cab create an oomph? Cuz if so, then I found an amazing deal without blowing $2,000 and my ears.
tie up people with it
"

- Slash
Quote by Irocknroll1990
18 watt TMB is that good?? Like even tho its lower wattage, can it roar? Cuz I need a great 80s rock roar.

The 18 watt sounds similar to a plexi and gets very dirty, very quickly.

Like I said, Marshall overdrive comes from the power tubes, you have to turn an amp up loud to get the tone Marshall is famous for. $100000 says you will not be able to turn a 2204 up past 1-2 in your room. If even that.

This is what an 18 watter sounds like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFvhHbSRkf0&feature=related

If you want more gain on tap you can have Ceriatone install a PPIMV or do a mod to cascade your gain stages (like Randy Rhoads superlead), it sounds like...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v4VzrEbm-o&feature=related

edit: Don't get me wrong. I said its quieter than a plexi or JCM800, but if you've never played those, you have no clue how loud they are. Playing an 18 watter at full volume in your bedroom will still blow out your ears, make no mistake. But they are good for gigs because they break up early and you don't have to blow up the stage to get a nice distorted tone.

Also, do not take the price of the Ceriatone lightly. It is "$840", but the company is based in Malaysia, and the shipping costs are particularly crippling to customers in the US. It will cost you another $130 or so in shipping. Despite this, people still love them, they still make the best amp you can buy for under $1000.
I've been quite interested in Ceriatones myself. My question is, do they come with head boxes, or just the completed chassis?
Gibson.
You can have Nik build and assemble a full amp head. You can get it without the head's cabinet if you wanted to.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Yeah, some people like to use Mojo cabinets, but I mean, its a head, any wood box should do.
So conclusively.

The 18 watt Ceriatone TMB will give me the best Marshall sound for the best price. The overdrive will be crushing at loud volumes, but since its 18 watts its also a good choice for bedroom playing.

I can play Guns n' Roses and frigging nail that sound.

Am I correct?
tie up people with it
"

- Slash
Quote by Irocknroll1990
So conclusively.

The 18 watt Ceriatone TMB will give me the best Marshall sound for the best price. The overdrive will be crushing at loud volumes, but since its 18 watts its also a good choice for bedroom playing.

I can play Guns n' Roses and frigging nail that sound.

Am I correct?

In a nutshell, yes.
Marshall Vintage Modern Combo (2266C)

It goes for around 1,800 dollars online and such, but I'm sure you can find a better deal in your local guitar dealership. Apparently, they have a GREAT sound and a GREAT Marshall tone. The guitar is 50 watts, which is plenty loud.

edit - sorry for stretching the page
Quote by SloppyJoseph
It doesn't fit my playing style at all so I figured it would be good for me
So my 1 month hardcore search is over. I found a great amp

Thank you very much, I appreciate ur help, uve been extremely helpful. I trust you, cuz u seem to know ur marshalls and obviously ur a gibson fan...well I have a Gibson Les paul studio and Im hapy with it. Cab't wait to hear how it sounds thru that amp
tie up people with it
"

- Slash
Quote by Irocknroll1990
So my 1 month hardcore search is over. I found a great amp

Thank you very much, I appreciate ur help, uve been extremely helpful. I trust you, cuz u seem to know ur marshalls and obviously ur a gibson fan...well I have a Gibson Les paul studio and Im hapy with it. Cab't wait to hear how it sounds thru that amp

No problem, I can't ever turn down the opportunity to talk about Marshalls especially on a board where Marshalls seem to take a backseat to Peavey's, Mesas, etc.

I still suggest trying to find an 18 watter in a store somewhere (a Marshall reissue), it sounds great, but if you've never actually owned a Marshall before, make sure its what you want. The 18 watter is tube rectified which gives it kind of a distinct feel, and its low on frills (no channel switching, no master volume), but is big on sound which is what is most important after all. And Nik does a great job with his builds so outside of defective parts, reliability should never be an issue.
Nik has defective parts?

Isn't the 18 watt Marshall reissue kinda expensive, the Ceriatone is cheaper and its a head & cab package which would give a better omph.
tie up people with it
"

- Slash
Oh also...I can't help but notice. Do you actually own a Marshall clone from Ceriatone? Cuz u said u own a Plexi. If u do own the Plexi clone from Ceriatone, how is it?
tie up people with it
"

- Slash
i'd be looking into splawn, roccaforte, thd, etc. etc. etc. if you ask me you have much nicer amps than marshalls available in the USA, and often for lower prices.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Irocknroll1990
Oh also...I can't help but notice. Do you actually own a Marshall clone from Ceriatone? Cuz u said u own a Plexi. If u do own the Plexi clone from Ceriatone, how is it?

No, I use a Metropoulos (http://www.metroamp.com/) plexi. You can take a look at those as well but they don't make anything smaller than the 30-35 watt JTM45, and they cost a fair bit more than the Ceriatone as well.

I'm not saying Nik has defective parts, I'm just saying theres always a chance that a part is defective (the case with any amp), and that would likely be the only issue you run ito.

And about the MArshall 18 watter, I meant find one to try out to see if you like the tone. Not buy, yeah. Don't buy the Marshall reissue. You can get the same amp for less money from Ceriatone.

Ceriatone has always gotten great reviews from everyone who has played them. I don't own a Ceriatone nor have I played the Ceriatone 18 watter. I have heard them and played various other 18 watters (same circuit) and I know that Nik does great work and uses good components.
More questions come to mind.

How many channels does this amp have? (18 watt TMB)

Why are there 2 input jacks? I saw youtube vid of ths kid playing the amp and he had 2 cables plugged to both inputs.

CeriaTone never mentioned a footswitch with these amps. How do u change between channels?
tie up people with it
"

- Slash
Quote by Irocknroll1990
More questions come to mind.

How many channels does this amp have? (18 watt TMB)

Why are there 2 input jacks? I saw youtube vid of ths kid playing the amp and he had 2 cables plugged to both inputs.

CeriaTone never mentioned a footswitch with these amps. How do u change between channels?

There is only one channel...

Oh and the other cable might have been going into some separate recording hardware.
I think you should use a Ceriatone as mentioned before but buy one with more wattage and purchase an attenuator tro use with it. An attentuator allows you to get the cranked tone at a portion of the volume because if you constantly play tube amps at lower volumes, it does wear out the tubes. Also, consider a JCM 800 if you really are looking for that Marshall tone, I had one and it served me well (have my Orange Rockerverb now)
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
If theres only one channel? How do I switch from a clean to overdriven sound??? There has 2 be a way
tie up people with it
"

- Slash
Quote by Irocknroll1990
If theres only one channel? How do I switch from a clean to overdriven sound??? There has 2 be a way

You use your guitar's volume control to clean up the sound.
Quote by Irocknroll1990

Volume control on your guitar dude...

Don't take this the wrong way or anything but can you write your sentences a bit Neater? It just makes it easier to read.
Quote by IncubusMan999
I think you should use a Ceriatone as mentioned before but buy one with more wattage and purchase an attenuator tro use with it. An attentuator allows you to get the cranked tone at a portion of the volume because if you constantly play tube amps at lower volumes, it does wear out the tubes. Also, consider a JCM 800 if you really are looking for that Marshall tone, I had one and it served me well (have my Orange Rockerverb now)

This is pretty bad advice.

An attenuator is several hundred dollars, and over attenuation (ie. bringing a 50 or 100 watt to bedroom levels) will make the sound compressed and lose its dynamic response. Playing at low volumes will not wear out the tubes, because you are not pushing the output section. Playing at high volumes will, and turning the amp up high while attenuating is no different from cranking the amp normally. The power is dissipated between the power amp and speaker.

And an 18 watter sounds like a small plexi. How can you get any more Marshall tone than that? That IS the Marshall tone.
Ohhhhhhh. This is how it works. Cuz I was watching Slash vid of him playing, and when he went from lead sound to clean sound, I didn't see him press a footswitch. He just flicked the pickup selector and turn some knobs around.

So the guitar's volume control doesn't control the actual volume, it controls the sound's distortion?
tie up people with it
"

- Slash
Quote by Irocknroll1990
Ohhhhhhh. This is how it works. Cuz I was watching Slash vid of him playing, and when he went from lead sound to clean sound, I didn't see him press a footswitch. He just flicked the pickup selector and turn some knobs around.

So the guitar's volume control doesn't control the actual volume, it controls the sound's distortion?

The volume control does both. If you turn the volume control all the way down you know longer have any sound. But if you turn it about halfway you get less distortion.

Hope that cleared that up for you.
Quote by Irocknroll1990

Well...

Don't think of it in terms of volumes, think of it this way, the lower the volume on your guitar, the more you're decreasing the output of your pickup. And you can turn your volume down about halfway and really clean up your sound quite a bit without losing a whole lot of volume.

For a les paul its really convenient, what Slash was doing was most likely turning down the volume on his neck pickup so he could use it to play clean, and switching to his bridge for dirty.

Heres a better example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oquRsYxruKw

edit: however, this has a lot to do with the pickups you're using. This works extremely well with lower/mid output pickups, and doesn't work quite as well with high output pickups. My Seymour Duncan '59 cleans up extremely well, but my JB can get a bit unruly at higher gain settings and will not clean up quite as well.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 17, 2008,
Oh k. I was worried that it had no footswitch and I didn't kno how 2 switch from 2 diff sounds.

If this is how Plexis and other vintage marshalls are (one channel and using guitar volume to change sound)...then no problem
tie up people with it
"

- Slash
Quote by al112987
Well...

Don't think of it in terms of volumes, think of it this way, the lower the volume on your guitar, the more you're decreasing the output of your pickup. And you can turn your volume down about halfway and really clean up your sound quite a bit without losing a whole lot of volume.

For a les paul its really convenient, what Slash was doing was most likely turning down the volume on his neck pickup so he could use it to play clean, and switching to his bridge for dirty.

Heres a better example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oquRsYxruKw

Ok this guy explained it better
This amp does have a master volume or sutting to keep the volume from blowing my ears off right?
tie up people with it
"

- Slash
Quote by Irocknroll1990
Oh k. I was worried that it had no footswitch and I didn't kno how 2 switch from 2 diff sounds.

If this is how Plexis and other vintage marshalls are (one channel and using guitar volume to change sound)...then no problem

Well, technically a plexi is 2 channels (or even 4 if you're talking about tonal variations), a bright channel and normal channel, each with a high gain and low gain input, but they're non switchable so you can't jump between two channels. Effectively, its a single channel and most players simply use the bright high input. All the old rockers were masters of doing this.

Check out this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HSV7vwXxRA

Jimmy Page runs a clinic on how to use his guitar's controls to get a huge variety of tones without ever having to touch the amp.

edit: The amp does not have a master volume. You're going to have to crank it if you want to get overdrive. That's why I suggest the 18 watter over a true plexi (I cannot even begin to emphasize how loud these suckers are). Instead of blowing the roof off your house, it will just be very loud. The plexi's also generally require a 4x12. The 50 watt puts out about 100 watts (plus or minus 10) when its cranked up, the 100 watt puts out over 200 watts(!!!) when its at 10. Marshall's get their signature gain from overdriving the power stage, and the only way to do that is to crank the volume. You can get an attenuator, or have Nik install a PPIMV which works well to attenuate maybe 1/4th or so off the volume, but I wouldn't use it anymore than that. In the end you want to get the power stage working as hot as you can to get that signature Marshall crunch.

Its the dilemma that all vintage style Marshall users have. How do you get that great Marshall crunch at low volumes? Attenuators, master volumes, all suck tone. Not to mention, a lot of the sound comes from pushing the speaker as well. Thus, the 18 watter is a very popular amp. True Marshall roar, at more usable volumes for those of us who don't play stadiums.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 17, 2008,
Quote by Irocknroll1990
This amp does have a master volume or sutting to keep the volume from blowing my ears off right?

EDIT: Sorry i kinda misread that...

And once again someone else answered the question better than i could
Page 1 of 2