So I have a Strat rigt now which is great for all the bluesy stuff I play, but I also like to play alot of classic rock and hard rock/heay metal (mostly NWOBH stuff), so I'm looking to buy something with humbuckers to get tha fatter distorted sound. Since I play alot of classic rock and not as much really heavy metal, Im not really looking for something with active pickups or emgs, or anyhing like that, Im looking for tat classic 70's crunch. So Im debating whether to buy either a Epi Les Paul Standard, an Epi SG G-400 or an Epi Firebird Studio. Im srtof leaning torwards the Firebird because Ive always liked the look of it and Im a big Johhny Winter fan. But my question is, what is the difference in the actual sound between an Epi Les Paul, a SG and a Firebird.
Quote by Aquaman788
So I have a Strat rigt now which is great for all the bluesy stuff I play, but I also like to play alot of classic rock and hard rock/heay metal (mostly NWOBH stuff), so I'm looking to buy something with humbuckers to get tha fatter distorted sound. Since I play alot of classic rock and not as much really heavy metal, Im not really looking for something with active pickups or emgs, or anyhing like that, Im looking for tat classic 70's crunch. So Im debating whether to buy either a Epi Les Paul Standard, an Epi SG G-400 or an Epi Firebird Studio. Im srtof leaning torwards the Firebird because Ive always liked the look of it and Im a big Johhny Winter fan. But my question is, what is the difference in the actual sound between an Epi Les Paul, a SG and a Firebird.
The Les Paul will sound bigger and warmer, the SG will be thinner and bitier (not in the bad way, though, they're still plenty warm), and I'd imagine the Firebird would be somewhere in between.

In my experience, the G-400 is the best value for the money out of those three.
^with the g400 ih eard that it feels amazing and if youreally want to make it perfect just upgrade the pickups

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Go with the SG.
I got an SG Deluxe in honeyburst, and it's beautiful. I did upgrade the pickups to EMG's (81neck, 89bridge) because the stocks were a bit too twangy for me. But after about a year with the EMG's I'm thinking of trading them out.
I've done a lot of research online and found that a Seymour Duncan SH-2N Jazz Model Pickup in the neck, and Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB Humbucker Pickup in the bridge would give me a good balance between warm cleans, and good distortion.
Good luck.
Ok I think Im gonna go with an SG, guitar center has a couple nice epi's on sale, one is a g-400 with the alnico pickups and one is a 1966 model with classic alnico pickups. Any ideas on what the difference in tone is between these two setups?
My epi is the tony iommi sig which is bassicaly a standard G-400 with some gibson pickups and sweet looking cross inlays
I'd imagine the classic alnico's will have a warmer tone = crunchier type old school distortion?
And the regular alnico's will be a bit higher sounds = smoother distortion but not so good for cleans unless you're good at EQ'ing. But either one you get, I'd still suggest investing in some new pickups within a few months after buying the guitar. I personally really like the look of the 1966 if you're looking at a Silverburst finish. What is your price range anyways?