Hey guys! I have a recently aquired junker, an Ibanez RX170. I got it for dirt cheap, it had no pickups, horrendous tuners, no backplates (including the one for the control cavity), and a strat style bridge. Here are some questions about it.

#1: Although it has a strat style bridge, can I fit a floyd on it without routing it out? I understand it would be flush mounted and would have very little bend compared to a normal floyd, but would it work?

#2: It is made of plywood. Is this an issue? Why? Would it be a problem with a floyd considering how much pressure it puts out?

#3: I want to refinish it, but I want to use its origional finish as a base coat and stencil in racing stripes. I am thinking of roughing the topcoat with sandpaper to prime it, then adding the paint and finally a clearcoat. What kind of paint and finish should I use? I am thinking of polyurathane, but I am worried it might not stick. The paint must come out of a spraycan, I am terrible with the brush. Also, I do not want to deal with the hassle of finishes that take weeks or even a month to fully dry.

#4: The guitar has an HSH pickup configuration, but I really only care for a bridge humbucker. How can I fill the pickup slots inbetween refinishing it? I was thinking of using a block of wood, and then touching it up with woodputty, but I am not sure that the refinish will hold it in, and it sounds rather difficult.

#5: Do Ibanez guitars have a standard backplate for rear-routed control cavities? If so, where can I buy one?

#6: I got a real cheap humbucker for it, it doesn't even have any brand markers on it, but I am having issues figuring out the wiring from it. The large green wire splits into 3 wires, a red, white, and black one. I assume the black one is the ground, butI amlost on the other two, mind shedding light on the situation?

I know it is a lot of questions, and many of them may be answered in the FAQ, but I have been looking for the past 1/2 hour and I have either not found my answers or have not understood them.

Another thing, I REALLY do not want to use specialized supplies for this project (I.E. Stewmac, warmoth), exceot for the control plate. The more stuff I can get at Home Depot, the better.

Thanks in advance.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Last edited by kranoscorp at Aug 16, 2008,
It may be a turd, but it is my turd. And if I have a turd, it better darn well be a shiny one.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
Quote by kranoscorp
It may be a turd, but it is my turd. And if I have a turd, it better darn well be a shiny one.

that's the spirit!
sex, drugs, and rock and roll have turned into aids, needles, and techno..
#1. Look into Kahler Tremolo's (2600 series I think) if you don't want to have to route too much. Most people don't use this brand but the few that do say the tone and feel of this tremolo is superior to FR's. They are very expensive new, but sometimes you can find one cheap on eBay. I found one on ebay about 3 years ago for about $40, I ended up not being able to use it and re-sold it on eBay and sold it for $120. Nice profit.
#2. Mounting a tremolo to a plywood body will be fine as long as the mounting screws are the right size and are good and secure.
#3. Paint out of paint cans will look like crap. If you're gonna just do that, then don't bother with sanding it down. If you're wondering what to go with poly or water based, I'd talk to the home depot sales person at the paint department.
#4. You could just leave the other pickup cavities empty but clean them out and paint them to match, or a possible other solution could be to find some cheapy pickups to just to fill in the space, but don't even bother wiring them. If you insist on filling them with wood blocks and putty then expect that you will be able to tell it was filled in no matter how much time you send on it.
#5. Yes, I'd probably try to find one on eBay or you could find a good piece of black plastic and make one yourself.
it is really worth it to save up $450 and either buy a guitar or make one yourself. Don't try to rehash your turd because you can't get past the low quality wood.

#1: Although it has a strat style bridge, can I fit a floyd on it without routing it out? I understand it would be flush mounted and would have very little bend compared to a normal floyd, but would it work?

Yes, but too expensive. Any non-sucking FR's are $100+ Plus you need a locking nut. You'd have to route out the back and that can be a bitch.

#2: It is made of plywood. Is this an issue? Why? Would it be a problem with a floyd considering how much pressure it puts out?
Yes and possibly yes. The worse quality the wood, the more your tone is going to be stifled regardless of your amp or pickups. Some squiers are not even made of plywood. Best not to fool with it. You can make a basswood body for $25. You should do that instead if you want to proceed.

Also... Your holes need to be exact or your guitar will never be in tune. I.E. holes are right where they are now. That could cause a bit of issues when your drilling your holes.

#3: I want to refinish it, but I want to use its origional finish as a base coat and stencil in racing stripes. I am thinking of roughing the topcoat with sandpaper to prime it, then adding the paint and finally a clearcoat. What kind of paint and finish should I use? I am thinking of polyurathane, but I am worried it might not stick. The paint must come out of a spraycan, I am terrible with the brush. Also, I do not want to deal with the hassle of finishes that take weeks or even a month to fully dry.

No, strip it. Primer it and then paint it. You want acrylic lacquer and wood primer. Both via spray can. Decent finishes take time. Also wear a mask when removing that paint because the paint used on cheap guitars is TOXIC TO YOU when airborne.

#4: The guitar has an HSH pickup configuration, but I really only care for a bridge humbucker. How can I fill the pickup slots inbetween refinishing it? I was thinking of using a block of wood, and then touching it up with woodputty, but I am not sure that the refinish will hold it in, and it sounds rather difficult.

This is the way to go and the only way. Lots of primer and paint coats will take care of it. You can make it look like they were never there, it just takes time and patience along with some extra sandpaper, an extra can of primer and another can of paint to help cover it up.

#5: Do Ibanez guitars have a standard backplate for rear-routed control cavities? If so, where can I buy one?

Not sure. Try ebay, samash, warmoth or stewmac.
Last edited by ESP_Shreder at Aug 16, 2008,
like a couple of others are saying... you're going to be spending a lot of time and money to put great parts on a plywood guitar. it's not worth it in my opinion, unless you have money to burn. it would be a fun project, but just buy a better guitar.
Quote by ESP_Shreder
You can make a basswood body for $25. You should do that instead if you want to proceed.

The biggest issue I have faced with all of my projects is that I do not have any routers or heavy equipment, I would need to buy it pre-routed and pre-shaped. Even just the routing would cost $200 alone in costs for a luthier. If there is a site that can give a body of basswood, rear-routed control cavity, floyd rout, and a rout for the humbucker in any finish for $75, I would gladly consider, but I doubt.

Quote by ultrablue
like a couple of others are saying... you're going to be spending a lot of time and money to put great parts on a plywood guitar. it's not worth it in my opinion, unless you have money to burn. it would be a fun project, but just buy a better guitar.

Many of you are vastly overestimating my budget. I am looking to spend a combined total of $100, I have already spent $25, and Guitarcenter sells floyd sets for $60. These are not quality parts by any means, but I just want it to sound decent and not fall apart. I already have a nice guitar (my PRS SE), so I am looking to make this a fun project that ends up as an 80's shredder/superstrat.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
#6 has still yet to be answered.

Responses have yet to have a positive outlook on my project, but I will carry on!
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
not a clue for the #6, but for the plates, you can buy acryllic sheets and cut them with a fine-toothed hand saw...

the paint, you will probably be better off repainting the entire thing, but the time and paint cost alone will probably be more than the guitar's worth, especially if you're looking to fill in two pickup cavities.

check pawn shops or ebay for some cheap deals, there are ripoff ibanez bodies kicking around that'll probably be made of basswood, or alder if you're lucky.

the tuners won't be cheap, but then again, nothing for guitars that's quility-made is.

check out pawn shops, they're awesome for this kinda stuff. (i got a squier p-bass and a palmsander for $125!)
------

Shwiggity.