Page 1 of 3
literally

We have been going out for probably a total of 5 or so months since November, and she told me she was Bi-polar around December I believe. I was shocked to say the least, but I didn't think of her any differantly and I treated her the same. I loved her too much to run. She told me she was on medications so it was under control for the most part.

Then her doctor took her off her meds in maybe April or May this year, and I havn't noticed much. (but i know next to nothing about bi-polar, so thats probably why) but tonight she told me our relationship wasn't going anywhere, but she still loved me. I was confused/frustrated to say the least, but I figure its her bi-polar kicking in and theres nothing she can do about it.

So, is there any way I can keep from getting mad at her about what she says? I know I cant blame all her decisions on her bi-polar, but i am positive it effects some of her choices. Also is there any way I could possibly help her? or things to avoid doing?

EDIT: her family issues are also a bit shakey, her dad tried to kill her mom, and they are pretty poor to say the least. I wouldn't call her "emo" but she does seem depressed ocasionally.

and i'm 16, and she is 15 if that matters at all.
had a gf just like her.....give up. theres plenty more fish in the sea
Guitars:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Epiphone SG w/EMG's

Amps:
Peavey Windsor Head w/ JSX Cab
MicroCube (for the sake of practice at college)

Pedals :
Fulltone Full Drive 2 Mosfet
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Crybaby
tell her if it's going to come between you in your relationship that she should be back on her meds
Nice beaver.

(. Y .) (. Y .)
You pedo.
Quote by SmElLy KiD
That is priceless man, you might be my new idol.

TS, whenever I see your username, I misread it as "isuckhardcocks."

Just had to get that out there.

We're ticking away, the moments that make up the dull days
Quote by brady12345
What does it mean to be bi-polar?

Your emotions and moods are very extreme.
Quote by SmElLy KiD

Quote by gtdude114

Yeah well, that seems to be the easy thing to do. She is pissing me off ocasionally, but our relationship just feels differant than what i've ever felt.

but i'm 16 so what the hell do I know?
Quote by Jeremy Clark
Yeah well, that seems to be the easy thing to do. She is pissing me off ocasionally, but our relationship just feels differant than what i've ever felt.

but i'm 16 so what the hell do I know?

A lot more than a 15 year old.
Quote by SmElLy KiD

I'm bipolar. It's something you learn to live with. Just give her support and she'll be fine.
You can't do much, you'd have to live with it if you stayed with her.

I have a little brother who is EXTREMELY bi-polar, he has been to a psychiatric hospital and seen countless therapists. Medication doesn't do much, it puts on a lot of weight (depending on what meds you're using) and wont stop people from their mood swings but it might help the intensity.

Maybe your relationship isn't really going anywhere? You should probably not blame the bi-polarity and go to the relationship thread.

Good luck.

EDIT: Then again, she IS only 15, that might be your problem there.
The best thing about life is knowing you put it together
ur not gonna like this but i think u should break it off, but be nice about it. because ur 16 and u dont know what love is. its infatuation and it makes u unreasonable. shes only gonna make u feel like ****, and she wont even know it cuz shes bipolar.
Quote by smb
I'm bipolar. It's something you learn to live with. Just give her support and she'll be fine.

i do support her as much as I can. Its just tonight out of the blue she states that sometimes she absolutely loves me and some nights i'm extremely boring. Some of our conversations are rather dull, but I feel like its just us settling into a steady relationship, since the newness is wearing off.

I dont know if thats her bipolar or just a crappy personality of hers though :S
Quote by gtdude114

That's not very nice. Bi-polar people need support, not abandonment.

Stay with her. Eventually she'll feel better after a while.
But TS, just remember, you don't HAVE to stay with her cause she's bi-polar.

Some of the posters in this thread make it seem like you have to.
Quote by SmElLy KiD

Quote by Abunai X
That's not very nice. Bi-polar people need support, not abandonment.

Stay with her. Eventually she'll feel better after a while.

Exactly, I support my little brother all I can.

It's hard to tell them something they don't want to hear though.
The best thing about life is knowing you put it together
Quote by Jeremy Clark
literally

We have been going out for probably a total of 5 or so months since November, and she told me she was Bi-polar around December I believe. I was shocked to say the least, but I didn't think of her any differantly and I treated her the same. I loved her too much to run. She told me she was on medications so it was under control for the most part.

Then her doctor took her off her meds in maybe April or May this year, and I havn't noticed much. (but i know next to nothing about bi-polar, so thats probably why) but tonight she told me our relationship wasn't going anywhere, but she still loved me. I was confused/frustrated to say the least, but I figure its her bi-polar kicking in and theres nothing she can do about it.

So, is there any way I can keep from getting mad at her about what she says? I know I cant blame all her decisions on her bi-polar, but i am positive it effects some of her choices. Also is there any way I could possibly help her? or things to avoid doing?

EDIT: her family issues are also a bit shakey, her dad tried to kill her mom, and they are pretty poor to say the least. I wouldn't call her "emo" but she does seem depressed ocasionally.

and i'm 16, and she is 15 if that matters at all.

Maybe you should look into what bipolar disorder really is first.

Easy place to start - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bipolar_disorder

Generally, it's periods of horrible depression followed by intense psychosis and unexplained energy known as mania.

It's not fun, to say the least.
Be nice

v CLICK v

Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"
Quote by isuckhardcore
But TS, just remember, you don't HAVE to stay with her cause she's bi-polar.
Yeah don't stay with her out of sympathy - that's no good for either of you.

But bear in mind that while there are low points and stupid moodswings there are also great times along with it.
Quote by smb
Yeah don't stay with her out of sympathy - that's no good for either of you.

But bear in mind that while there are low points and stupid moodswings there are also great times along with it.

Much sexy time.
Quote by SmElLy KiD

Quote by sixhundredsix
Maybe you should look into what bipolar disorder really is first.

Easy place to start - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bipolar_disorder

Generally, it's periods of horrible depression followed by intense psychosis and unexplained energy known as mania.

It's not fun, to say the least.

haha I was literally on wiki as you posted that. Trying to find patterns so I can predict a pattern. as to whoever said I dont have to stay with her just because she is bipolar, thats deffinately not the reason. I do love her (well, what I think is love) and I dont want to end the relationship. but if she does keep making me feel like crap I will have to result to ending the relationship...
My cousin is, and i can say that it can be very frustrating. Some days he would do nothing but try to explain his theory of the universe to me and was realty into it, like would draw **** on his walls and stuff, other times he was absolutely normal. On meds hes fine.
It would be interesting to see a bi-polar caveman.
Quote by SmElLy KiD

I had an old girlfriend who was bi-polar. As in frigid no matter which way you fucked her.
Quote by Jeremy Clark
i do support her as much as I can. Its just tonight out of the blue she states that sometimes she absolutely loves me and some nights i'm extremely boring. Some of our conversations are rather dull, but I feel like its just us settling into a steady relationship, since the newness is wearing off.

I dont know if thats her bipolar or just a crappy personality of hers though :S

DUDE!
my ex girlfriend and i had the exact same type of thing. some nights it was awesome, just talking, or whatever, and other nights it seemed like we had run out of things to say.

and for the record, we just broke up a few weeks ago after more than 9 months.
it's an extremely complicated set of circumstances.

and yeah i'm trying to get her back.

TS is your last name clark? mine is. lol
Quote by brandonmontana
DUDE!
my ex girlfriend and i had the exact same type of thing. some nights it was awesome, just talking, or whatever, and other nights it seemed like we had run out of things to say.

and for the record, we just broke up a few weeks ago after more than 9 months.
it's an extremely complicated set of circumstances.

and yeah i'm trying to get her back.

TS is your last name clark? mine is. lol

whoa, pretty crazy similarities! (sadly not for the best! haha) Goodluck with her...

and yes, i am one of about a million clarks in this world.
Alright, for those who have experience with this, what are some ways I can keep her happy? (for the most part)

I am planning on watching what I say much carefully to keep her happy, what else can I do?
Quote by smb
Exactly

Loneliness blows too.
Quote by SmElLy KiD

If you really love her, then do your best to support her. I know it's hard at 16...my fiancee and I have been together since my sophomore year of high school.

If you are really willing to deal with that, and understand that sometimes she's just not in her right mind, then you can make it....I think a big part of it will be learning to swallow your pride and not take a lot of comments to heart.

And for the love of all that is holy, get her back on her meds! It's going to be tough on everybody including her when she's off them. Both my Mother-in-law-to-be and my grandmother go absolutely insane without theirs.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
And for the love of all that is holy, get her back on her meds! It's going to be tough on everybody including her when she's off them.
It's up to her. Meds aren't for everybody. I much prefer to be without mine.
Quote by Mutant Corn
I think a big part of it will be learning to swallow your pride and not take a lot of comments to heart.

Thats the single hardest thing about my personality, I take EVERYTHING to heart, and it kills me. I have a lot of work to do here.

Quote by Mutant Corn
And for the love of all that is holy, get her back on her meds!

the doctor took her off of them... they didn't ask to be taken off. So there must have been a reason, right?
Quote by Jeremy Clark
Thats the single hardest thing about my personality, I take EVERYTHING to heart, and it kills me. I have a lot of work to do here.

the doctor took her off of them... they didn't ask to be taken off. So there must have been a reason, right?

The reason is so you'll go crazy and break up with her, at which point the doctor will take advantage of the situation and pedo your girl.
Quote by SmElLy KiD

Quote by isuckhardcore
The reason is so you'll go crazy and break up with her, at which point the doctor will take advantage of the situation and pedo your girl.

damn
Quote by Jeremy Clark
damn

So for the love of god, break into the pharmacy, get her some pills so you don't go insane and she'll keep her goodness.
Quote by SmElLy KiD

and what i forgot to mention,
the girl i was talking about is kind of like that,
not to the point of having to take meds i don't think tho.
i do believe you're doing the right thing by thinking before you speak. which really is a good skill in any situation.
As a sufferer of bi-polar disorder (formerly called manic depression), I have this to say...

People with metal illnesses need the same understanding that those with physical illnesses have. Statistically speaking, 1 in 1000 people on this website will suffer from a mental illness or 'episode' during their lives.

The odds are that, if she's seeking treatment, it will pass.

My girlfriend stays with me despite my manic and depressive moods, which can be quite severe. Don't stay with her out of sympathy, but, as smb said, remember that every relationship has high and low points.
some rather stunning similarities in our cases it seems, the more i hear about yours the more i think of mine.
Quote by Josh Shiells

The odds are that, if she's seeking treatment, it will pass.

As in meds, or seeing a psychologist? (sp?)

She was taken off her meds, and she used to go to a psychologist until about a month ago. Would it be bad if I suggested she started back with her psychologist?
Page 1 of 3