The game plan:
I have a piece of **** Squier right now, and the last purchase I made was an upgrade from a 15 watt Fender Frontman POS to a nice 65 watter. Now I am upgrading guitars. The plan is to sell the Squier and the amp (interested? Link in my sig), and either:

A - Buy a guitar. I really like Epiphone (and Gibson, but they're way out of my budget) Firebirds, and they're $400, not too much. I don't want to spend much more than this.

B - Make one. Of course. I could make a Firebird, but I'd end up spending more money, not having a neck-through, it being my first build and all... etc. So I decided on maybe making a Super-Stratocaster! Yeah, that sounded gay.

But I had this in mind:
http://www.fender.com/products/prod_images/guitars/0263270530_xl.jpg
I love that hot sunburst on the flame maple top, which was also something I had been looking for in guitars (or quilted maple, which I also consider holy). A Fender-style neck with a painted headstock, but with the body's contents, leaning more towards your conventional Gibson's setup: Humbuckers and a tune-o-matic. And string-through ferrules. Beautiful. Than another idea was to incorporate a ton of electronics into it, with a rear rout, and perhaps, maybe, a transparent pickguard in a not-yet-used shape that floats above the body like on a Les Paul, only not with a pickguard bracket. I think they look ugly with transparent pickgaurds. Nay, instead I'd mount two wooden "poles," which represent really thick washers under the pickguard, and going into the body. Standard bolt-on neck (I don't have a problem with bolt-ons) either bought of eBay or something, or if not too hard, make it myself. Don't know about that yet though.

Since this would be a custom guitar, I'd be willing to spend $500 on this project.

Again, this is possible, but not certain due to limitations in my budget and lack of experience. After all, I've never built a guitar before.

So "possible" specs:

Color: Amber burst dye (probably, not really sure yet, could turn out to be something totally different)
Body: Strat-shaped
Wood: Alder or mahogany, with flame or quilted maple top
Neck: Maple or rosewood(any other ideas?)
Fretboard: "Vintage" stained maple (any other ideas?)
Frets: 22
Scale: 24 3/4
Type: Bolt-on
Inlays: Abalone or black dots; perhaps something special at the 12th fret
Pickups: Two humbuckers (haven't decided yet)
Controls: Seperate volumes in one concentric pot, master volume (push-pull) for LPB-1 (built-in, homemade) and switch portion of pot turns LPB-1 on or off, master tone (push-pull), master coil tap (taps both pickups) in switch portion of master tone, 3-way selector switch (probably in mini-toggle switch form, maybe strat-style)
Bridge: Tune-o-matic with string-throughs
Tuners: Haven't decided yet, but probably non-locking because there is no tremolo
Hardware: Chrome or black
Pickguard: Probably none, but perhaps a clear pickguard that floats above the body, similar to a Les Paul, but a totally different shape
Strap buttons: Standard strap buttons
Input jack: Stereo (turns LPB-1 battery on or off), side
Knobs: Knurled
String tree: One, holding E and B strings
Mount: Rear mounts
Nut: Standard non-locking (don't know which material yet, probably just a standard StewMac one)
Pots: All 500K except for LPB-1 volume (100K)
Capacitor: Sprague orange drop

Now keep in mind that the above things would be for if I made a neck myself. If I didn't, I'd have to deal with whatever I bought.

Anyone have an idea of how much this would cost approximately? And yeah, probably much more than $500, but I just need an idea.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
I don't want to spend much more than $400 unless I'm building one in which case I'll spend a bit more. And... please just discuss this idea. Don't just say "no."
Gear:
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Can you build that for less than 500? Yes. BUT the price will entirely depend on how much you spend for each piece. Pickups you could easily spend $150 on 2 really good humbuckers or you could spend half of that. And then you'll just have to look for a good deal on the wood (for both body and neck). And if you buy the neck that's another thing that can have a wide range of cost, you could spend < $100 or you could spend a lot more than that. All the rest of the stuff is pretty much going to cost you about the same no matter the quality. For all that stuff you're looking at... pots and switch $15, bridge $40, jack $5, string trees $5 - 10, strap button $5, tuners $30+, pickguard no idea...
So you'd be looking at about $100 - $150 for everything apart from body, neck, and pickups. So yes you can do it for under $500, but it will be pretty close to that.
Part-o-Caster
Ibanez Destroyer
Ibanez 321MH
You are not going to be able to do a burst anywhere near that unless you have both a spray booth and a lot of experience spraying utiars
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
I've always love the look of the Fender Showmasters, and it's good to see that you're tasteful with customising.

I'm not sure how successful you will be though, with lack of experience.

I have an idea though, depending on how good the body of your Squier is, how about stripping that back and using that?
Quote by BGSM
I've always love the look of the Fender Showmasters, and it's good to see that you're tasteful with customising.

I'm not sure how successful you will be though, with lack of experience.

I have an idea though, depending on how good the body of your Squier is, how about stripping that back and using that?

The body is alder, just a solid color over it. I don't think I could cut the top of and glue on a flame maple top... could I?
Gear:
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Since this is your first build maybe you should do some mods on your current guitar as practice. It would suck to buy all that stuff and mess it up. Get some experience on a cheap guitar then build the guitar you described above. It will turn out better that way and you'll be glad you did.
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
Since this is your first build maybe you should do some mods on your current guitar as practice. It would suck to buy all that stuff and mess it up. Get some experience on a cheap guitar then build the guitar you described above. It will turn out better that way and you'll be glad you did.

... Not a noob. I've repainted a guitar before and turned out great, done tons of electronic mods, and I can always get a scrap piece of wood to practice routing and using a jigsaw on.
Gear:
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
You could buy some maple veneer and bind around the edges, I think that's how it's done.

Maybe wait / PM a luthier here before going ahead with the veneer idea though, I've never done it before.
Quote by asfastasdark
... Not a noob. I've repainted a guitar before and turned out great, done tons of electronic mods, and I can always get a scrap piece of wood to practice routing and using a jigsaw on.

Sorry didn't mean to make you feel like a noob. It said first build and I was just trying to help.
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
Sorry didn't mean to make you feel like a noob. It said first build and I was just trying to help.

It's alright, I know how it is here when some people ask you how to drill a hole or if it is necessary to solder or something like that...

I'm considering buying a rear-routed body from stew-mac with a quilted maple top, and calling them to see if it is possible for them not to include and bridge or single coil routes. That would be awesome.
Gear:
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List: