Well, after many designs, I'm going with this:

I have one guitar and 2 amps.

I have a Dean Custom C450 guitar, coil tapped for a nice clean tone.

I use my Laney amp for a real heavy metal/crunch sound (using the Boss MT-2).

I use the other amp (an old 70's amp with lovely tone) through the clean channel (for clean sounds).
or:
Through the gain channel for a light overdrive (Pink Floyd-esque).

I have 4 Neutrik connectors on the left hand side (for those who don't know what they are: http://www.neutrik.com/us/en/audio/210_215481/NJ3FP6C-BAG_detail.aspx). One will be for my guitar input, the other three for the amps.

I haven't got all my pedals yet, but got all the space and everything sorted. And yes they're all Boss.
At present I have:
- an NS-2 Noise Surpressor
- a PSM-5 Power Supply Unit
- an LS-2 Line Selector
- an RC-20XL Loop Station
- a CS-3 Compression/Sustainer
- a BF-2 Flanger
- a Ph-1r Phaser
- an MT-2 Metal Zone

Looking to buy:
- an overdrive pedal
- a GE-7 Equaliser to replace the Power Supply as I can power off the NS-2 and LS-2
- a Wah/Volume pedal (most probably a cry baby)
- a delay pedal (most probably an RV-3 delay/reverb)
- a chorus pedal

Feedback on which ones to buy would be appreciated.

I am also going to build an amp selector switch into the board, and a channel select for my Custom Sound 70's amp.

This is my wiring diagram:

..............................LS-2 (Send2) - MT-2- Overdrive - Delay - LS-2 (Return 2)
..............................LS-2 (Send1) - CS-3 - BF-2 - Ph-1 - chorus - LS-2 (Return 1)
..............................PSM5 (R) - LS-2 (Out)
..............................PSM5 (S) - LS-2 (In)
..............................PSM5 (O) - Wah (In)
..............NS-2 (S) - PSM5 (I)
..............NS-2 (R) - Wah (Out)
In - N4 - NS-2 (In)
..............NS-2 (Out) - Amp Select - N3 - Laney Amp
..................................Amp Select- RC20 (In)
......................................................RC20 (Out) - Channel Select - N1 - Custom Clean
...........................................................................Channel Select - N2 - Custom Gain

At the top, is my effects loop and the bottom are the amp/channel selects.

I plan to cover the pedalboard in Tolex (for those who don't know what this is, it's what your amp is covered in: http://www.customguitarcabs.co.uk/tolex.html and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tolex).
To secure the pedals, I will remove the screws from the back of the pedals, pass longer screws through the pedal board and into the screw holes on the pedals, thus rendering velcro/cable ties obselite.
I will also wire everything underneath the pedal board and secure the wires underneath.

Well, that's the plan - I will update with pictures when I start building (as I'm on holiday in California at the moment ).

Feedback/criticism/advicewould be appreciated.

Thanks for reading,
Jamie
Last edited by wingsalumini at Aug 16, 2008,
Protip: Use code.
Html doesnt work.

Tip 2: Boss does not make the end all for pedals. Their reverb pedal is fair at best, as is the NS-2.

So, change your choice in upcoming pedals, and get rid of the HTML code and change it to code.

Edit:
Don't get a MT-2, please.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Last edited by kool98769 at Aug 16, 2008,
Quote by wingsalumini
What would you suggest I try out?
Jamie

What exactly are you looking to get as far as pedal additions?
As long as you dont need to play into the grand canyon reverb wise, a simple digital delay set to a short delay should work. The few times when i will actually suggest a boss pedal is now, their DD-7 is probably the best value for what you get as far as digital delays go.
As far as the GE-7 issue goes, it would be MUCH better to just spend a few extra greenbacks and go for the MXR 10 band EQ pedal. Slightly better bypass, and more options all around.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
All the pedals I could need are written in this post.
And I am looking to play into the canyons though lol.
I enjoy the ambience the RV-3 gives.
I shall take a look at the MXR Equaliser as I have heard other good reviews about this.
How about for a chorus pedal and an overdrive that is more than your led zeppelin/pink floyd OD but less than your pantera Distortion?

Btw, already got an MT-2, may change it though.
I only really bought it as my Laney didn't have the punch I wanted. It's SS so I may save for a Tube 2x12.
Any suggestions again? looking for a metal tone (was thinking 5150)...
Jamie
Last edited by wingsalumini at Aug 16, 2008,
any of the electro harmonix reverbs would work very well. and the boss ns-2 is a very good pedal on alot of professional guitarist pedal boards. now i'm sure it wouldn't be if it was a tone sucker. it just seems to be one of the bandwagon items on UG.
okay, you're missing a few things. for starters, stay away from only boss pedals. there are some much, much better options. the rv-3 is an amazing pedal, the rc-20 is good. the rest are balls.
1) where is your power supply going to go?
2) instead of the mt-2, get a turbo rat.
3) instead of the ph-1, get a small stone.
4) you probably don't need a compressor/sustainer get another delay or a looper instead.
5) ibanez ts-9 tubescreamer for overdrive
6) pick up a boss CE-3 for chorus

and **** noise suppressors.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Well I already have the PSM-5 as a power supply pedal. This will then be replaced by another pedal when I have the money and I'll power the board using the NS-2 and LS-2.
I may also save up for a voodoo labs power supply/something equivalent and place it underneath the board.

I already have the mt-2, cs-3 and ph-1.
Looking to replace the mt-2 or possibly save up for another amp. (valve instead of SS)

I would not play without a noise surpressor as it's a valuable asset to my set up.
Jamie
GE-7 Equaliser? The DOD one?

How long have you had it? I had massive problems with mine... Had to be replaced Three times in 6 months...
Also, Look into different Pedals Please

The ISP Decimator kills the boss NS-2
The MXR Dynacomp can destroy their CS-3
The MXR Phase 90 is a much better Phaser for your money (That or an EHX small stone)
Do not Get a metal zone. These things sound like trash compared to some other units I could name... Distortion pedals are overrated, get an overdrive (fulltone ocd, Bad monkey, Big Muff- well that ones a fuzz but meh). Will sound much better, but if you must have a distortion than an EHX Metal muff would be good.
For a chorus I reccomend a used Boss CE-2, or an EHX Small clone, or an Arion stereo chorus (surprisingly amazing for its price)
Quote by Highwaytohell
Also, Look into different Pedals Please

The ISP Decimator kills the boss NS-2
The MXR Dynacomp can destroy their CS-3
The MXR Phase 90 is a much better Phaser for your money (That or an EHX small stone)
Do not Get a metal zone. These things sound like trash compared to some other units I could name... Distortion pedals are overrated, get an overdrive (fulltone ocd, Bad monkey, Big Muff- well that ones a fuzz but meh). Will sound much better, but if you must have a distortion than an EHX Metal muff would be good.
For a chorus I reccomend a used Boss CE-2, or an EHX Small clone, or an Arion stereo chorus (surprisingly amazing for its price)

Im with you on the metalzone....

Awful pedal.
It's hard to know what you want when you probably haven't used them all. And if you have, I know you probably haven't used them all together, with your current amp. Take it one step at a time, otherwise you'll just blow your money on pedals, say it sounds good because you know you just spend so much cash on it, then 4 months later they'll all be for sale because you realize how **** most of them sound. Get each one by one, do your research on everything, try a bunch of stuff out, and I'm sure you'll have better results then you would doing what you plan on doing now.
Thanks, you're right. I mean I'm pretty happy with what I have now, bar the MT-2. I haven't tried the ph-1 yet as I only just bought it and I'm on holiday.

I guess I'm just trying to find things for myself to do/spend money on...
Jamie
I see where you're coming from dude, but rushing into stuff isn't going to get you anywere. Trust me, been there and done that already. Just take your time on things, try to find a sound you like by trying everything out a bit first. Look up what you need to and see what might be best for you. You shouldn't just stick with Boss because of the name. I mean, like the noise suppressor.. I have an NS-2, and it's descent, but nowere near as good as the ISP is. Are you interested in any rack stuff? It may be a bit more expensive, but there are some things you might be interested in as far as rack gear or something.

I don't mean to sound bossy or anything by any means, I'm just trying to save you from what might possibly be a mistake.