searched and didn't find a thread like this so...

What do you think? Who are some of the greatest guitar soloists?

I personally love David Gilmour's solos. They just drip with emotion. As my friend put it, "It's like he sings with his voice, and then with his guitar." I'm also a huge fan of Jimmy Page (then again, who isn't?). He's kind of sloppy sometimes, but his solos always sound so (for lack of a better word) epic.

And then of course you have Hendrix, Clapton, Beck, Van Halen (I'm not a big fan of his solos actually. There's no emotion, it's just "Hey! Look how fast I can play!"), Vaughan (even if half his songs are Hendrix covers), Blackmore, Vai, and Satriani.

I know I'm leaving out a bunch of guitarists here, but I just wanted to get the ball rolling and let you guys do the rest.
I read somewhere that 77% of the mentally ill live in poverty. I'm more interested in the 23% who are apparently doing quite well for themselves.
ace frehley, eric clapton, yngwie malmsteen, zakk wylde, marq torien does pretty kickass solos live
Ted: [Whispering to Bill] Your stepmom is cute.
Bill: Shut up, Ted.
Ted: Remember when she was a senior and we were freshmen?
Bill: Shut up, Ted!
Quote by Crimson Ghost
yngwie malmsteen

While he does write good melodies and chord structures, excessive use of arpeggios in solos tends to get a little repetitive.
Whenever i hear James Hetfield pull off a solo, it sends ****in chills up my spine...

Seriously, his mix of metal and blues in his solos just sound friggin amazing.
Epiphone SG - modded like crazy and sent through hell and back
Crate Flexwave 120 watt half stack -

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell
Quote by banshee620
Whenever i hear James Hetfield pull off a solo, it sends ****in chills up my spine...

Too bad he's only ever played 4 or 5 solos in all of Metallica's music. Kirk steals the spotlight too much.
Quote by banshee620

For me, not so much Hetfield, but some of Hammett's solos do. The ending solo to Fade to Black especially gets me every time. I read somewhere that he improvised the whole thing on the spot, and the whole time he just thought of the most depressing things he could, and it shows.
I read somewhere that 77% of the mentally ill live in poverty. I'm more interested in the 23% who are apparently doing quite well for themselves.
Quote by pwrmax
While he does write good melodies and chord structures, excessive use of arpeggios in solos tends to get a little repetitive.

i totally understand that, but some of his solos are just extremely beautiful in their craftsmanship and emotion (such as overture 1383 and Black Star)
Ted: [Whispering to Bill] Your stepmom is cute.
Bill: Shut up, Ted.
Ted: Remember when she was a senior and we were freshmen?
Bill: Shut up, Ted!
I like the Television guitarists, Richard Lloyd and Tom Verlaine.
Gilmour's great because his solos sound so calculated and memorized, but they still sound good. He doesn't solo just to solo, it serves an important part in the song.
Last edited by HiImKindaNewAnd at Aug 16, 2008,
Quote by splitman
i agree with gilmore hes an amazing soloist

lol

Gilmour is amazing, one of my very favorites is actually Ritchie Blackmore he's got some great chops, and he's very underrated.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Frank Zappa
Prince
Eddie Van Halen
Vernon Reid
Mike McCready
Eric Clapton
Quote by sneyob
Saw extended blue dick,
clicked X.

Sorry,
force of habit

Quote by Bmm386

There is only one solution. We need to bomb outer space. That should show those terrorist bastards who's who