I have a old Marshall Valvestate VS100 combo, and the OD2 channel is RIDICULOUSLY un-metal. I don't know if i'm setting it up wrong or whatever.

I use a jackson JS30 kelly with a EMG 81 in the bridge and it sounds fantastic through all the good amps i try at shops, but i just can't seem to dial up a good metal tone on this combo.

Should i just give up and buy a valve amp? any advice?
- Duvmunch
- Jackson RR24
- Marshall VS100 + Marshall 1960A Cab
Quote by Duvmunch
I have a old Marshall Valvestate VS100 combo, and the OD2 channel is RIDICULOUSLY un-metal. I don't know if i'm setting it up wrong or whatever.

I use a jackson JS30 kelly with a EMG 81 in the bridge and it sounds fantastic through all the good amps i try at shops, but i just can't seem to dial up a good metal tone on this combo.

Should i just give up and buy a valve amp? any advice?

How old is old? Have you checked the tube in the amp?

If all else fails, a Boss MT-2 or a Boss HM stomp box should do the trick.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
are you using any distortion pedals? If not, try, might be cheaper than a new amp.
"A guitar is the human soul, speaking with just six strings..."- Eddie Lee

Irvine Kinneas of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
Always check the local classifieds or craigslist or whatever for good deals. If you find something you are interested in, just take a look and see if you like.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Quote by skvvisgaar
are you using any distortion pedals? If not, try, might be cheaper than a new amp.

i have a Behringer UM-100 pedal but its pretty hideous, and was about $40..
- Duvmunch
- Jackson RR24
- Marshall VS100 + Marshall 1960A Cab
Well for metal the tube amps that marshall makes usually require at least an overdrive pedal to "push" it harder for a more metal sound
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Guys, it's a SS amp.

And I guess it can do metal just don't expect a Dual Recto tone out of it (Chuck Schuldiner from Death used Valvestates).
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Old Marshall VSs (another SS) amps were common in metal, especially in the early 90s. Yes, you VS should be a firebreathing metal-voiced monster. If it was an AVT, you'd want a new speaker first.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Put a Seymour Duncan Mayhem distortion pedal in front of it, strum an E5 chord and you won't be able to feel your teeth.

1980s Ibanez RG470
Epiphone G400
Peavey Vypyr 30
Vox DA5
Vox Cybaby Wah
Monster Cables
and Red Jazz IIIs

I donated 2020 grains of rice

http://freerice.com/index.php