What kind of gear/basses/amps was Cliff Burton playing on those early Metallica albums? He has such a distinctive bass sound. Sounds almost sometimes like he is running alot of overdrive and distorion, and i didn't think bassists could do that. Was it just the basses he used or maybe amps? Anyone with Cliff/Metallica knowledge, help me out.
Metal Muff I think
My gear:
-No Brand Classical Guitar
-Squier Stratocaster Affinity Series
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Boss GT-8
-Boss DS-1
-Roland Cube 60

FREE TACOS!!!
Aria I forget what model, Rickenbacher 4001 (in the earlier days?), Big Muff, Morley Fuzz wah, that one's probably very important for cliff tone, unfortunately they don't make the specific model he used anymore, sorry to not give specific names of things but its morning, I may come back and edit later.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Aria Pro II SB, Sovtek Big Muff (green), Morley Power Wah Boost (chrome), various amps that aren't that important.
thanks for saving me the time smb
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Well the short lived "Bass Player of the Month" section was supposed to cover that sort of thing...I think it'd be a great thing to archive.
Maybe what would be more useful than just listing the rigs of the famous would be also explaining how to get their tone or better on a budget.

For example a distortion with an adjustable low pass filter definitely sounds a lot better than Cliff's rig, and everything he used is rare and expensive now despite not being that great.
Quote by smb
Maybe what would be more useful than just listing the rigs of the famous would be also explaining how to get their tone or better on a budget.

Great idea. That could work with many of the frequent bass players whose gear is asked after. (Chris Wolstenholme, Flea, Cliff etc)
"Spiralling to the ground below
Like Autumn leaves left in the wake to fade away"
Yeah those were the other guys I had in mind.

I'll have a look through the FAQ thread since I might be covering ground Ben has already been over, but if there's nothing similar there Since there's nothing on this and it'll be useful I'll sort something out.

If anyone has any suggestions for it or wants to contribute, shoot me a PM
Last edited by smb at Aug 16, 2008,