So I'm heading back home to omaha, ne for to visit my hometown. And I'm greyhounding it up there from dallas because I dont have a drivers license. I'm bringing my guitars with me of course, like every other guitarist i cant live with out my guitar (seagull entourage mini & Ibanez gio). I called greyhound and supposedly they wont let you check in any electronics like speakers or amps as baggage/luggage. I guess they're afraid I killed pedro and stole his amp so i can smuggle it into nebraska? What am i going to do trade it for corn? So basically I cant bring my amp up with me. and if i could i probably wouldnt anyways... it'll cost too much because my geetar amp's too big. But I know that I have an ibanez IBZ10B bass amp back home. I know it wont kill my bass amp to run my guitar through it. But what I'm wondering is.. is it going to sound like crap? And is it gonna sound like even more crap if I run my pedals through the bass amp? I just need something to dick around on and practice with while im in nebraska and maybe even play for my friends a little when they come over and hang out. I just dont wanna be with an electric without an amp for three weeks.... that would kill me.

So guitar + IBZ10B bass amp = bad sound?
and does guitar + bass amp + pedals = crap in my grandpa's adult diapers?
-Linda
Some people prefer the tone of a guitar through a bass amp (The Fender Bassman is about as popular for guitar as it is for bass). Bass amps don't have distortion though, so you will have to use a pedal if you want distortion. Bass amps won't be damaged by plugging a guitar in, but guitar amps will break if you put a bass through it. The pedal shouldn't sound too bad through the bass amp, it will be like playing it through the clean channel of any other SS guitar amp.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Official Newbie Of The 'Australia FTW!' Club PM Alter-Bridge Or The_Random_Hero To Join. Australians only.
I use a "bass spec" plexi head (JTM-45), it sounds great to my ears (and many others as history tells us), and I've never actually even heard it ever being used by bassists. There is definitely increased bass response that will get overbearing and can flub out at high volumes if the wrong speakers are used.
Quote by grobbo91
Bass amps won't be damaged by plugging a guitar in, but guitar amps will break if you put a bass through it.

ohh... thats why my amp sounded like shortly after i got my bass
You'll probably just get a very low, dark tone, which might be a good thing depending on the sound you're looking for. Why don't you buy something like a microamp that you can carry inside one of your luggage bags?? There's also headphone amps (little cube that you connect to your guitar and hook to the strap and you just connect headphones into it; Vox has several of them) and Danelectro has a distortion pedal that has a built-in speaker.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by evening_crow
Why don't you buy something like a microamp that you can carry inside one of your luggage bags?? There's also headphone amps (little cube that you connect to your guitar and hook to the strap and you just connect headphones into it; Vox has several of them) and Danelectro has a distortion pedal that has a built-in speaker.

I know that dean markley makes a micro amp for 24.99.. but I've never messed with it. it looks like a tiny little toy... like something barbie would use it to rock out with on her malibu guitar. It doesn look like they'd be very loud and I'm assuming once you run pedals or distortion on them it's gonna make a noisy mess... and I have a feeling that my 150 lb dog with just eat the 4" x4 " cube. I wouldnt mind getting a micro amp but I'm not gonna shell out a hundred bucks to get a decent microamp since i dont travel much. But if i did... would would you guys suggest for microamps? That and for some reason I have a hate for all things tiny. Maybe because I'm only 5'1" and 115 lbs? I dont wanna have to look at an amp version of myself for three weeks.

The micro amp was a good suggestion. head phone amps? I hate wearing headphones when i play... and I dont like Danelectro. Man I'm a pain in the ass aren't i? lol.
Last edited by Insignia707 at Aug 16, 2008,
Quote by Insignia707
I know that dean markley makes a micro amp for 24.99.. but I've never messed with it. it looks like a tiny little toy... like something barbie would use it to rock out with on her malibu guitar. It doesn look like they'd be very loud and I'm assuming once you run pedals or distortion on them it's gonna make a noisy mess... and I have a feeling that my 150 lb dog with just eat the 4" x4 " cube. I wouldnt mind getting a micro amp but I'm not gonna shell out a hundred bucks to get a decent microamp since i dont travel much. But if i did... would would you guys suggest for microamps? That and for some reason I have a hate for all things tiny. Maybe because I'm only 5'1" and 115 lbs? I dont wanna have to look at an amp version of myself for three weeks.

The micro amp was a good suggestion. head phone amps? I hate wearing headphones when i play... and I dont like Danelectro. Man I'm a pain in the ass aren't i? lol.

Hahaha... yes you are!

I see your points though which are quite valid. Now that i remember, Danelectro has a micro amp called Honey Tone and it's not that bad or expensive. The bass player in my old band had one and would use it with his modified peavey strat-like guitar and like 4 or 5 dan pedals and it was decent-sounding.

I can't really think of any other suggestions.

EDIT: Marshall, Fender, and i think even Vox make several micro amps based on real amps (fender twin reverb?, marshall jcm i think?). Most ppl here will probably recommend you a microcube even though it's probably twice as expensive. Also, i found out Line 6 took out a micro Spider III. I know everyone in here hates them but you can look into that (i liked the fact that it's got some more functions than the micro cube).

Last edited by evening_crow at Aug 16, 2008,
Josh Homme of Kyuss played through a bass amp.I've also heard that Iommi played through the bass input on his amp (how many amps even have these?).
A guitar teacher I know uses a bassman, and he grets some seriously great clean tones out of it.
Quote by evening_crow
Hahaha... yes you are!

I see your points though which are quite valid. Now that i remember, Danelectro has a micro amp called Honey Tone and it's not that bad or expensive. The bass player in my old band had one and would use it with his modified peavey strat-like guitar and like 4 or 5 dan pedals and it was decent-sounding.

I can't really think of any other suggestions.

But no seriously I kind of really dont wanna have to spend more money to buy a tiny ass micro amp when I have a pretty fierce full stack in dallas. Call me crazy. But I also have a mg15dfx. If worst comes to worst... I was was thinking about sticking that thing in my carry on bag. It's 15"x 14" x 7" and it weighs only 18 lbs. the weight limit on carry on bags are 25lbs... so i guess that leaves me with 7lbs of room for clothes? I dont know if greyhound checks your carry on bags.. but I hope to god they dont look at me like im crazy for carrying a 18 lb practice amp in my carry on bag along with my lacey unmentionables? I mean I'm assuming that's not normal? or am i crazy guys?

because i know my bassist friend wants to jam with me in nebraska and my bass amp has only one input (he doesnt have an amp anymore). that's why i see sneaking my guitar amp up there as a good option?
Last edited by Insignia707 at Aug 16, 2008,
Quote by Insignia707
But no seriously I kind of really dont wanna have to spend more money to buy a tiny ass micro amp when I have a pretty fierce full stack in dallas. Call me crazy. But I also have a mg15dfx. If worst comes to worst... I was was thinking about sticking that thing in my carry on bag. It's 15"x 14" x 7" and it weighs only 18 lbs. the weight limit on carry on bags are 25lbs... so i guess that leaves me with 7lbs of room for clothes? I dont know if greyhound checks your carry on bags.. but I hope to god they dont look at me like im crazy for carrying a 18 lb practice amp in my carry on bag along with my lacey unmentionables? I mean I'm assuming that's not normal? or am i crazy guys?

because i know my bassist friend wants to jam with me in nebraska and my bass amp has only one input (he doesnt have an amp anymore). that's why i see sneaking my guitar amp up there as a good option?

Like i said in my first post, using the bass amp isn't such big deal and it'll sound decent. As far as i know they won't actually check the weight of ur bag or anything. Plus they can't really say anything about carrying an amp in your bag.

oh, and those lacey unmentionables sound tempting...

Quote by evening_crow
Like i said in my first post, using the bass amp isn't such big deal and it'll sound decent. As far as i know they won't actually check the weight of ur bag or anything. Plus they can't really say anything about carrying an amp in your bag.

oh, and those lacey unmentionables sound tempting...

Yea i agree... I'll just grit my teeth and hope that my old bass amp still works... I havent touched that thing in like 4 years. So that leaves room for my pedals in my luggage.
The bass amp will sound ok. Just go for it.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
imo, they can sound better than most guitar amps.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
get the best deal you can on craigslist then sell it when you leave. Maybe it costs you $20 as a rental or maybe you make $20. Maybe it becomes the next amp you must have.