Page 1 of 2
I've always been really interested in classical operas. After doodling around on my guitar for a few minutes, I thought to myself, "why not write a rock opera?"

Why not indeed. After some thinking, i've come up with a structure and story.

The story begins with our protagonist 'stephan', who is for all intents and purposes a doormat to society. He works a dead-end job, is a frequent drug user, and turns the other cheek when people walk all over him.

One day, as he OVERDOSES ON DRUGS (story changed). BLACKS OUT IN HIS APARTMENT (story changed!), we switch to stephan's point of view, where everything slowly blurs out and fades. Suddenly, he awakens in a dreamlike cosmos, and this is where the main story starts.

While in his EPIC DRUG TRIP (Story changed), he will go through several strange dreams that are hard to make sense through in context, very scattered, but will all fall together to paint a picture of stephan as a person. He'll come to terms with alot of his personal problems in this part, and most of this is obviously very drug influinced. Lots of trippy music through this part.

In the climax of the story, he'll be talking to himself, literally ( as in another him. ) and he'll have the choice to wake up. After sorting out all of his problems, he can see the world for what a f*cked up place it is, and turns away, choosing to dream forever.

Not exactly a happy ending, I know. But it's a tragedy, so that's sort of the point. The Musical structure is really strange, because I've constructed it around my own drug-based experiences.

What do you think, UG?
Last edited by GeneralGrim at Aug 16, 2008,
niiice
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.
Sounds good, just that to me almost all of the rock operas have something to do with a coma.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
I tried to write a metal opera revolving around Odin's life. Didn't pan out.
Quote by shut_up_n00b
Sounds good, just that to me almost all of the rock operas have something to do with a coma.

Seriously? I've never heard a rock opera before, so I wouldn't know any common themes.

Maybe I should just make it a really powerful drug trip instead, and he overdoses at the end.

Choices, choices.

EDIT: Noticed your Don Kanonji avatar. BWAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
</nerd>
Sounds very interesting. I wish you good luck in your endeavour
Good luck man, i've always liked the clasical and neo-classical stuff so maybe yours will be the next Bohemean Rapsodey or whatever.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky DK2L
Epiphone LP Standard
Yamaha Acoustic
Bugera 1990 w/ Peavey 2x12 cab
sounds good.
almost like dream theater's scenes from a memory album
except without the murder
and the past life
and the adultery
come to think of it, im not sure what they have in common...
but your's does sound very interesting
nick_b is currently obsessed with:
Pokemon
Pinch Harmonics
12/8 timing
7/8 timing
Lamb of God
Rise Against
Regina Spektor
Dream Theater
and many others...
Quote by shut_up_n00b

As much as I like the basic layout of the story I, too, think comas are a little over used in these stories a la The Mars Volta's De-Loused In The Comatorium. I do like the part where he turns away from reality sorta thing tho.
Quote by nick_b
sounds good.
almost like dream theater's scenes from a memory album
except without the murder
and the past life
and the adultery
come to think of it, im not sure what they have in common...
but your's does sound very interesting

geez, way to be supportive...
Gear:
Jackson Dinky DK2L
Epiphone LP Standard
Yamaha Acoustic
Bugera 1990 w/ Peavey 2x12 cab
Quote by soulflyV
I think Arjen Lucassen did this first.

Who is this? What do they sound like?
...DO THEY HAVE AMAZING 6 PART HARMONIES?!?!?
those bastards won't outdo me!

-writes more music with the fervor of a horny rapist-
Quote by GeneralGrim
Who is this? What do they sound like?
...DO THEY HAVE AMAZING 6 PART HARMONIES?!?!?
those bastards won't outdo me!

-writes more music with the fervor of a horny rapist-

Unless you can get Mikael Akerfeldt to sing on your songs, you cannot outdo them.

Look up The Human Equation by Ayreon. It's pretty much the same story.
Quote by soulflyV
Unless you can get Mikael Akerfeldt to sing on your songs, you cannot outdo them.

Look up The Human Equation by Ayreon. It's pretty much the same story.

if you want to know what my stuff sort of sounds like, look up this song, me and this guy share a very similar style, except mine is with guitars:

eric whitacre - water night

OR BETTER YET

eric whitacre - sleep
Quote by superunknown
So your writing Deloused in the Comatorium?

Thats cool I guess.

apparently comas are a popular thing in rock operas, so i'm going to change it to a drug overdose kind of thing.
That sounds pretty epic. I wish you the best of luck.

Eh, i've been working on and off on a concept album of my own. What is it about?

One word. Zombies.
Gear
Schecter C-1 Artist
Vox AD15VT
Epiphone EJ-200 Acoustic
Quote by GeneralGrim
Seriously? I've never heard a rock opera before, so I wouldn't know any common themes.

Maybe I should just make it a really powerful drug trip instead, and he overdoses at the end.

Choices, choices.

EDIT: Noticed your Don Kanonji avatar. BWAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
</nerd>

It's fine though, yours sounds like you can make it good. And yeah that's my favorite BLEACH episode ever.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Quote by Jersey_Zombie
That sounds pretty epic. I wish you the best of luck.

Eh, i've been working on and off on a concept album of my own. What is it about?

One word. Zombies.

I have a... weird... obsession with zombies. I had an entire series of flash games based around zombie slaughter.

4 games made. Only the first 2 ever saw the light of day. The last 2 were such an art that I could not let them be tied down by the public.

Check out the first 2:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/316574
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/349932

The second one got sponsored by armorgames. *BRAGBRAGBRAGBRAG*

But yeah, the last one was cool. You would walk around a city, raid houses, pick a building, group with survivors, barricade windows, make your own weapons... not to mention fully gibbable zombies.

...good times...
Sounds like De-Loused in the Comatorium.
Quote by GeneralGrim
apparently comas are a popular thing in rock operas, so i'm going to change it to a drug overdose kind of thing.

No, basically the story of De-Loused in the Comatorium is that a friend of the band ODd on rat poison when trying to get high, his arm shriveled up, and he went into a coma. As a matter of fact, the first track is made to sound like an Ambulance ride. The song goes back and forth between Julio's perceptions and Cedric's. While he goes into his coma, he goes into a dream world in which he meets a lot of scary people, gets on a train, etc, etc. Eventually when he comes out of his coma, he decides he can't handle being alive and jumps off an over pass, and then goes into the afterlife, which is basically like the world he just left when in a coma. Its the same story.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Aug 16, 2008,
Quote by GeneralGrim

Noo erm sorry I don't think you really got what I was saying...

Don't get me wrong it's a really cool idea and I really think you should do a Rock Opera but your story is %99 identical to The Mars Volta's Deloused in the Comatorium.

The wikipedia article has a short summary of the story if you don't believe me.

Unless that was what you were going for...
and in that case I must have missed something...
Quote by superunknown
Noo erm sorry I don't think you really got what I was saying...

Don't get me wrong it's a really cool idea and I really think you should do a Rock Opera but your story is %99 identical to The Mars Volta's Deloused in the Comatorium.

The wikipedia article has a short summary of the story if you don't believe me.

Unless that was what you were going for...
and in that case I must have missed something...

I just read the summary, they aren't really similar at all, sans the dream sequence part. The guy in theirs tries to kill himself at the beginning, and then actually DOES kill himself at the end. My guy just sort of OD's, goes on a wild ****ing trip, and never wakes up. Also, the main portion of the story revolves around how he relates to the other people in his lives, and realizing his problems and those of the world.

See, I use the 'trip' thing as a chance to give the protagonist an outside perspective of the world and how it relates to him. Like a maze, if you will. If you're inside of a maze, you can't really tell what's going on around you, but if you're looking down on it, you can see how all the corridors relate to each other.

</CRAPPY METAPHOR>
Oh, and you guys ARE under the impression that this isn't an album, right? This is literally an opera with guitars. As in, actors. On stage.

...WITH GUITARS, god damnit.
Quote by GeneralGrim
I just read the summary, they aren't really similar at all, sans the dream sequence part. The guy in theirs tries to kill himself at the beginning, and then actually DOES kill himself at the end. My guy just sort of OD's, goes on a wild ****ing trip, and never wakes up. Also, the main portion of the story revolves around how he relates to the other people in his lives, and realizing his problems and those of the world.

See, I use the 'trip' thing as a chance to give the protagonist an outside perspective of the world and how it relates to him. Like a maze, if you will. If you're inside of a maze, you can't really tell what's going on around you, but if you're looking down on it, you can see how all the corridors relate to each other.

</CRAPPY METAPHOR>

The summary in wikipedia is somewhat off. He doesn't try to kill himself in the beginning, he ODs on accident. He took the rat poison to get high. He doesn't really decide to kill himself until the end, then there is a song about his body, then the last song is about his return to a dream world. And Julio DOES go on a wild trip, and during his trip, there are a lot of bits about his relationships with others, though they're incredibly veiled because that is how Cedric writes. Trust me, dude.. When three of us pointed out that its basically the story to De-Loused, it is the story to De-Loused.
Quote by GeneralGrim
Oh, and you guys ARE under the impression that this isn't an album, right? This is literally an opera with guitars. As in, actors. On stage.

Unaware only because you didn't point it on to begin with. But, anyway.. Are you gonna put a ton of delay pedals and filters on it?
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Quote by GeneralGrim

O RLY? I thought you'll be recruiting Italian tenors for it...

Go listen to some Tommy, "Underture" will help you with your coma thing...
Quote by Jack Off Jill
The summary in wikipedia is somewhat off. He doesn't try to kill himself in the beginning, he ODs on accident. He took the rat poison to get high. He doesn't really decide to kill himself until the end, then there is a song about his body, then the last song is about his return to a dream world. And Julio DOES go on a wild trip, and during his trip, there are a lot of bits about his relationships with others, though they're incredibly veiled because that is how Cedric writes. Trust me, dude.. When three of us pointed out that its basically the story to De-Loused, it is the story to De-Loused.

Unaware only because you didn't point it on to begin with. But, anyway.. Are you gonna put a ton of delay pedals and filters on it?

Idunno, that depends. It's not going to be PURE guitars, but lemme throw you an example from the top of my head.

So let's say I want the theme of a scene of the dream sequence to represent how society is essentially a murder machine under a formal guise. (I'll base it off a really bad trip I had, for kicks.) Stephan will awaken in a fancy resturaunt, with a piano playing some fancy, slow jazz. All the waitors look exactly like the protagonist. Stephan, curious as to what the f*ck is going on, gets up from his table and walks towards the bathroom. While all this is happening, the jazz fades in and out, revealing an underlying guitar, sounding very low, dissonant, and chaotic. Terrifying. As our panicy protagonist walks towards the bathroom door, he notices an employees only door, leading to the kitchen. He pushes the door open, music cuts for an instant, and then SLAMS BACK IN FULL FORCE with some CHAOTIC, SCARY GUITAR. Human corpses hang from hooks behind the door, blood covers the walls. One of the walls is nonexistant in this room. The chaotic force of the guitar grows, brass section builds to meet the guitars, and for the final moments of the scene, what appear to be tentacles wrap around several dead bodes toward stephan.

music slams to a dead halt. All lights off. Scene change.
Quote by GeneralGrim
Idunno, that depends. It's not going to be PURE guitars, but lemme throw you an example from the top of my head.

So let's say I want the theme of a scene of the dream sequence to represent how society is essentially a murder machine under a formal guise. (I'll base it off a really bad trip I had, for kicks.) Stephan will awaken in a fancy resturaunt, with a piano playing some fancy, slow jazz. All the waitors look exactly like the protagonist. Stephan, curious as to what the f*ck is going on, gets up from his table and walks towards the bathroom. While all this is happening, the jazz fades in and out, revealing an underlying guitar, sounding very low, dissonant, and chaotic. Terrifying. As our panicy protagonist walks towards the bathroom door, he notices an employees only door, leading to the kitchen. He pushes the door open, music cuts for an instant, and then SLAMS BACK IN FULL FORCE with some CHAOTIC, SCARY GUITAR. Human corpses hang from hooks behind the door, blood covers the walls. One of the walls is nonexistant in this room. The chaotic force of the guitar grows, brass section builds to meet the guitars, and for the final moments of the scene, what appear to be tentacles wrap around several dead bodes toward stephan.

music slams to a dead halt. All lights off. Scene change.

I have no problem with the concept of a lot of the opera being a dream sequence, I just think you should avoid doing the coma thing as a result of drug use. That treads on pretty common ground. Seems to me he could just be a guy who day dream during his go nowhere job, it could still slam to a hault when his boss is yelling at him for slacking off. Otherwise, you might as well just make Stephan an amazing fooseball player, despite the fact that he has no arms.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by Jack Off Jill

+1

Sorry man but it really is kind of the same story.

Of course it isn't literally the same if you just look at the minor details but the architecture is almost entirely the same.

Deloused in the Comatorium
- man ODs on a drug
- man falls into coma
- man has visions of the world in all it's brutal reality
- man wakes up
- man decides that dreams his dreams were better and kills himself

Your story
- man ODs on a drug
- man falls into coma
- man gets to decide if he wants to wake up
- man decides that his dreams are better and chooses not to wake up.
Quote by superunknown
+1

Sorry man but it really is kind of the same story.

Of course it isn't literally the same if you just look at the minor details but the architecture is almost entirely the same.

Deloused in the Comatorium
- man ODs on a drug
- man falls into coma
- man wakes up
- man decides that dreams his dreams were better and kills himself

Your story
- man ODs on a drug
- man falls into coma
- man gets to decide if he wants to wake up
- man decides that his dreams are better and chooses not to wake up.

BALLS!

well ****, what the hell. I want a dream sequence, but the drug use is kind of important, I thought that would be a probable cause. How can I change this up?
Actually, here. Now, it isn't even a coma. It's just an immense trip. Take it from me, if you're on your way to an OD, a trip can feel like an infinate amount of time in an actual timespan of 5 minutes.
Alright, there. Now, no hospital is even involved, he just blacks out in his apartment. Poor stephan should lay off the 2CB.

This will give me even more leniency on drug inspired segments, since they're the cause of most of the story anyway. WHOOP WHOOP.

EVERYBODY HAPPY?!
Sounds like a great idea, but some parts sound a little too much like Genesis's Lamb Lies Down On Broadway rock opera.

But if you pull it off, its gonna be amazing
Quote by alaskan_ninja
Everyone is trying a comeback now. Metallica, Smashing Pumpkins, Rage, and now bin Laden? Come on. Give it a rest..

haha
Quote by IDon'tLoveYou
Sounds like a great idea, but some parts sound a little too much like Genesis's Lamb Lies Down On Broadway rock opera.

But if you pull it off, its gonna be amazing

NO, Y'KNOW WHAT? I'm not going to bend MY beautiful story around AGAIN to fit around some stupid thing i've never even HEARD.

SCREW YOU, 'GENESIS'S LAMB LIES DOWN ON BROADWAY'.

...I will not be tread underfoot.

...srrsly
Uh oh, I think he's about to lose it, guys.
Quote by vintage x metal

Good luck, may be as good as Green Day's Rock Opera as they call it...

*Runs away, flame sheild tied to back*
It sounds more like a blasted hippy opera than a rock opera.
He should have gone on his trip, been visited by the ghost of Lemmy past, the ghost of Lemmy present and the ghost of Lemmy future, and then woken up and gone and kicked Tiny Tim's sorry ass.
I'm not sure why I flagrantly paligerised Dickens there.
But hey.
That's pretty good man! Just don't call your character Stephen or Steven. Alice Cooper's character in Welcome To My Nightmare is called Steven and goes through a load of Nightmares, kinda similar I guess but negative and yours is happy in the dreams.
Quote by soulflyV
I think Arjen Lucassen did this first.

You took the words right out of my keyboard.
No animals were harmed in order to bring you the above post. However, several photons were greatly inconvenienced.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNO-TOAD
Page 1 of 2