I just never seem to remember to get a guitar pick when out somewhere with parents, I just figure its not that important. So I just use a quarter for replacement for a pick. It's just sorta difficult to pick sometimes, and sometimes tremolo isn't working out for me, is an actual plectrum that important?
Forever feels retarded in MT forum

-Equipment-
Squier Champ 15
Squier Bullet Stratocaster
-Shopping list-
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
1 guitar cable for that pedal
Depends on what you want to do... For tremolo, yes. Otherwise you could work on finger-picking..
"I am a remnant of the Forever Origin"

"The forest of October sleeps silent when I depart
The web of time hides my last trace
My blaze travel the last universe
Like the sights of magic
Wrapped in aeons
My mind is one with my soul"
not if you play finger-style =D

but at my old school, they used to give out bread-clips as picks, coz bitches kept thieving the picks...
so i dont think its that bad.
Yeah, the bread clips are the best substitutes for picks (I have only ever been without a pick once though). They seem almost identicle to real picks other than the shape. It isn't too hard to play with the corner of one.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Official Newbie Of The 'Australia FTW!' Club PM Alter-Bridge Or The_Random_Hero To Join. Australians only.
gene simmons!!!!?
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Whay are you worried about tremolo picking after just 2 months? There's other, far more important techniques that you should be focussing on so early on.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Whay are you worried about tremolo picking after just 2 months? There's other, far more important techniques that you should be focussing on so early on.

Knights of Cydonia

Got stuck on trying to understand theory and scales
Forever feels retarded in MT forum

-Equipment-
Squier Champ 15
Squier Bullet Stratocaster
-Shopping list-
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
1 guitar cable for that pedal
with a quarter you will weaken your string and dull the tone of the strings in a matter of hours.

goose
In Thirteen Seconds
It's been thirteen seconds
since you all last said
i've become the apparition
You predicted for my death

Myspace
I used to use a 20 cent piece (Aussie) when I first started. I found a pick much easier. trust me, its well worth the effort to remember it. Makes things much easier.
A coin will probably degrade your strings alot faster than an actual pick.

The sound of a coin on strings is horrible imo. It sounds like your doing a constant pick slide.
Just ask your parents to remind you to buy a pick.
Been away, am back
I read a post from one of our forums saying something, "you are a guitar player if you always carry a pick in your wallet."
It's not bad. I mean, it didn't stop Gibbons, Hendrix, or May from being awesome. I only use one when I play certain things.

If you like it, go for it. If it stops you from doing something, well, try new things.
You'll snap your strings pretty quickly, but it won't hurt anything beyond repair. Get into the habit of always having a pick in that little side pocket of your jeans (I usually carry 2 or 3), and keep a few in your gig bag/case. At 25¢ each you should buy a ton, I usually get $5 worth and they last a good 4 - 6 months (somtimes less depending on how much drinking I do when I play )
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Last edited by Garou1911 at Aug 16, 2008,
you might easily wear out ur strings
~Vince~
Fender MIM Telecaster ('06) [Modded]
PRS S2 Custom 24 ('13) [Modded]
Squier Affinity Fat Strat [Modded]
Yamaha F310

Mesa/Boogie Lonestar 1x12 Combo
Mesa/Boogie Mark V:25

SD Vapor Trail
Xotic SL Drive
Xotic BB Preamp
Boss BD-2
Boss DS-1 [MonteAllums]
MXR 10-Band EQ
Quote by XxDre09xX
I just never seem to remember to get a guitar pick when out somewhere with parents, I just figure its not that important. So I just use a quarter for replacement for a pick. It's just sorta difficult to pick sometimes, and sometimes tremolo isn't working out for me, is an actual plectrum that important?

Ha! Awesome... That's hardcore there . I remember once back in late January I ran out of picks, and took a piece of sheet metal to mounted grinder and made a pick that way. Still have that baby too... But, as other people have said, it sounds to crunchy, chunky, and grindy (and, of course, combined with a pick scrape like noise). And degrades the strings. Pick would be a best bet, since its really going to suck when you HAVE to remember strings or no playing when you get home.

Quote by camotehead
I read a post from one of our forums saying something, "you are a guitar player if you always carry a pick in your wallet."

Haha! I do that... Paid off quite a few times too.

Odd though... I carry all my picks in my wallet and all my loose change in my guitar case.
Quote by Aaron the 4th
with a quarter you will weaken your string and dull the tone of the strings in a matter of hours.

goose

yeah, you absolutely right. just go get a bag of picks for 2$ in guitar center
it can scratch the guitar.

I play with fingers mostly, suits my style better. Southern Rock- blues, is what im into atm.

But i use a pick often too.
Quote by camotehead

What about many picks? Lol
Quote by camotehead

Mines in my pocket most of the time or atm inbetween my strings and fretbord
This works for almost any situation....

Quote by PaulyVengeance
Punch it. Punch it until it goes away.
Damages your strings faster. Get picks, it's not like they are costy.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Quote by camotehead

One?!? 23 picks :P
Learn to use the back of your index finger (from the inside of it facing your middle finger around to the nail area) as your pick. Over time it will toughen up and be as effective as a pick, a little more reliable, if maybe a little thinner sounding acoustically. But it opens you up to greater flexibility later on, like mixing in fingerstyle with chord playing.

A lot of great guitarists eschew the use of picks - Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits and Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac come to mind.
Discolored skin gives me away.
I seem to lose picks all the time so I would recommend using a penny.

Actually Billy Gibbons and Brian May both use coins for picks. But if you simply forget your picks, get a key chain pick holder and stuff it full.

Example: http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/EFOB.htm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~ Storm Stenvold
~ http://www.guitarteacher.com
~ See It, Hear It, Play It!
~ Free Video Guitar Lessons, Jam Tracks + More!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~