I'm not into much shred guitar, but do like to play some and even in a lot of John Frusciante stuff you can add it in and it sounds good, what I want to know is how is it done? Am I doing it right by just turning the pick a bit so it doesn't get too caught up in the strings and it cuts through better, and just play up and down fast.
Like Steve Vai says, the key to being able to play fast is to start really slow.
Don't buy Guitar Hero.
Buy Guitar Pro.

My Gear: (That I actually use)

ESP Edwards E-CY-165 CTM
Vox Saturator
Vox AD50VT
Vox Tonelab LE
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Well picking up and down is called alternate picking, and applying it to scales and arpeggios is ONE of the techniques of shredding. Other techniques include sweep picking, economy picking(a little uncommon), tapping, and legato. There are some good lessons on shredding in this website, so take a look at them, and practice them slowly, and gradually increase speed.
"Shred" is just very technically adept playing, you don't need to do anything different, you just get very good at playing the guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Learn your scales. You just need to play fast. Develop alternate picking and if you ever plan to take it seriously you will probably need to learn sweep picking.

maybe invest in a metronome. Free ones are online tho.
Quote by Egaot
I'm not into much shred guitar, but do like to play some and even in a lot of John Frusciante stuff you can add it in and it sounds good, what I want to know is how is it done? Am I doing it right by just turning the pick a bit so it doesn't get too caught up in the strings and it cuts through better, and just play up and down fast.

seems like you're interested in shredding w/ improvisation as well. learn theory.