Well I'm saving up for a tube amp.
I'm hoping to save up about $1000 (Australian).
I'm looking for a valve combo with:
3 channels (1 clean,2 distortion each with their EQ)
Plenty of in/out jacks
Loud enough to be heard over drums (this option preffered as we dont always have a P.A)
No requirement for F.X channel

So my situation is:
14 playing in a couple of bands.Might be able to get an income of $25 a week soon (maybe some money for birthday/christmas).Playing mainly rock,punk and metal with a bit of clean stuff aswell.
Currently using a roland GC-405 with a digitech RP-50,washburn MG-24 and epiphone Tony iommi sig.
So I need it to be fairly portable and versatile as a lot of the people I play with don't have very good stuff so being able to plug 2 guitars into one amp is pretty useful.
Might be able to try out some amps once in a while.
So all of that considered I'm looking at 2 amps
Bugera 333 XL
Marshall DSL 401
Some people have suggested a mesa but I don't find many of them in my area in my price range.
The issues with the Bugera are that it's 120 watt which is a bit loud for me,that could be solved with an attenuator though.
I can get the bugera brand new for $1000.
The marshall doesn't seem to have as many of the features as the bugera and possibly reliability issues.
I might be able to the marshall for $1000 used.
So
Bugera
Marshall
Something else
What genre will you be playing?
Regardless I'm still 99.95% that the Bugera will totally slay any marshall that you can get for <$1000 second hand in Aus. Make sure you try out every bugera model if possible because they're all quite different.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
G'day
Sabbath,Kyuss,Wipers,Ramones,red hot chilli peppers,Motorhead,AC/DC,Led Zeppelin,Wolfmother,white stripes,offspring and geelong punk.
Hope that fill you in.
Thanks.
I think that the 333xl series would fit you best. 3 channels (clean, crunch, lead), it comes with EL34's which will be better for the more lighter gain stuff. It also has built in reverb and noise gate. It really is a killer amp man!
So would you be after the combo or a head version?
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
combo.Everytime I practice is a 45 min drive and hefting the amp from the car to the place where we practice.
.... Shouldn't that be a reason to buy a 2x12 with some nice speakers and a head ?
It'll be lighter, overall better tone and you'll save yourself money in the future. Just an option :S
I know you said $1000 but you can get a second hand 2x12 with celestions for $300 - $450 and the 333xl heads are what .... $800 or something. In the long run it would be the better choice imo.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Quote by howey
.... Shouldn't that be a reason to buy a 2x12 with some nice speakers and a head ?
It'll be lighter, overall better tone and you'll save yourself money in the future. Just an option :S
I know you said $1000 but you can get a second hand 2x12 with celestions for $300 - $450 and the 333xl heads are what .... $800 or something. In the long run it would be the better choice imo.

....wha?

what the hell is the difference. you could replace the speakers in a combo and the same result would happen...

Combo's are so much easier for tranpsort and you will find it easier to just get the 333xl combo man.
Quote by Highwaytohell
....wha?

what the hell is the difference. you could replace the speakers in a combo and the same result would happen...

Combo's are so much easier for tranpsort and you will find it easier to just get the 333xl combo man.

Nope. Having a 2x12 cab and a head is better because the cab and the head are easier to transport (eg. carry up/down stairs) than a 2x12 combo. The combo weights a LOT more than the cab alone, and the head isn't that heavy (I think).

The "combos are more portable than stacks" really only works with halfstacks and up.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.