I've just bought a new guitar, and the 13th fret isn't quite in properly, so is causing a bit of fret buzz. I'm planning on putting a block of wood over it, and hitting it with a hammer (seems recommended by several sites). is this going to be fairly easy? what chance do I have of ruining my guitar? I know to rest the neck on my knee or something as i do it! cheers
unless you hit the neck with the hammer you can't do much damage, just be careful with the block of wood.
right... so I gave it a go, and now the fret is more raised than it was before! it's like the fret has straightened, so it's flush at the middle, but the two ends are sticking out more. any ideas? admit defeat and take it to get the fret replaced?
You bent the fret wire most likely. Your best bet is to order a little bit enough for a couple of frets (if you mess up) and just take the fret out and put a new one in.

EDit: If you can't do that by yourself then take it in.
Weekend Warrior
When you say you bought a new guitar, how new are we talking?

because if it came like that from a shop I would send it back.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
only about a week old, but it;s a bit complicated as the previous shop went bust, got taken over, and this was severely cut price. I reckon they would tell me to do one if I complained, and don't think they've got repair facilities there.

I reckon I'll just take it to a tech then
sound control?

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
you could just pull the fret wire out and rebend it...then tap it back in (maybe think about clueing it in with PVA as well)......
also it doesn't matter how cheap it was when you brought it, the shop should sort it for free