Well, i can tell u that it is best to try every epi u come across, even if its the same model. Its like picking a cherry from a tree, pick the good ones. This is due to epi's quality control, whcich seems to be improving. Love my Epi LP Custom Plus. Try looking into Tokai, Orville, Burny as well as they do offer good LP copies. Hope this helps!
Gear:
95' Fender Richie Sambora Standard Stratocaster
06' Symphony SD54
07' Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus
08' Recording King RD-17CFE
Fender G-DEC30
Line 6 POD XT
Blackstar Series One 45 Combo
10' Ernie Ball MusicMan JP6 BFR
the standards are great guitars
i love mine
Quote by rocker138
Wow...I can't believe no one thought of that, I actually have lost 5% of my confidence for not thinking of that, I bow to you

MY GEAR
EPIPHONE LES PAUL STANDARD
RANDALL RG75 G2 SERIES
MARSHALL JACKHAMMER
If it's a Les Paul you want and you can't afford a Gibson then yeah, Epiphones are the next best thing. They work great and unlike other brands that produce good quality versions, like ESP, they also have the more classic rock tone of the original.
Guitars:

Ibanez SZ320
Ibanez RG450
Ibanez SC620
Bc Rich Warlock 7 String
ESP LTD SC-607

FX:

Digitech Whammy 4
Line 6 PodXT Live

Amp:

Line 6 Flextone 2
I love my Classic to bits, sad that they don't make 'em anymore. It has a great neck, less beefy than the Standards.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Ibanez: I am verah good guitah prayah!
*mach 5 speed*
Read the agile thread - I've owned both and the agiles are much better.
i have a Epi les paul in cherry sunburst and i can tell you its awesome, very well setup right from the box i didn't even have to adjust anything, pickups are ok i may switch them eventually, overall very good guitar. very little difference to a real Gibson.
Gear

- Epiphone Les Paul
- SX Strat (w/ Fender Vintage Noisless Pickups, TBX Control, and an active circuit board for +25dB mid boost)
- Marshall DSL40C
Heres the thing, Ibanex,esp,schecter and jacskon fanboys never give epiphones a chance, ive played nearly all epiphone lp's and they are brilliant guitars. I advise the 56 gold top, it is a great guitar.
Bazza

Epiphone Les Paul Special ll w/ an SD Dimebucker and a Dean Zebra neck pup
Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
i love mine
GEAR

VOX AC15 / AC4
Fender MIM Sunburst Strat
epiphone les paul custom in white
Yamaha FG730s
The Tweak-O fuzz pedal
The new Standard and up ones are usually pretty nice for the price.
The old ones are either nice or terrible crap (being the last ones the most common ones, having owned 2 and having played lots of them).
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Epi Customs are a great value... better than low end Gibbys, but not as nice as a top end Gibby LP. I love my Epi Custom... but as the wisdom above says try a bunch out.

Also, you may want to change out the pickups to the Bursbuckers or 490's or Classic 57s so it will feel and sound closer to the Gibson.

My experience with them as well is that the standard tuners are not so great (you'll be retuning the G string after every couple jams.) Think about upgrading the tuners.

Hope that helps!
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.
I compared an Epi LP Custom (1 guitar) against Gibson LP Standards (5 different guitars) which did cost 3x more than the Epi and they are worth it. Yes, the Epis look the same but they do not feel, and play the same at all. My advice: Make a 1 by 1 comparison. But... Some 350,- EUR Ibanezes reached my heart like a 1800,- EUR Gibson and I bought it right away. So I agree to "Guitar Guy X": try the ones your guitar store has in stock because you might find an Epi that might feel better than a Gibson because you picked one that has been picked out by quality control. I've tried 5 different Gibson LPs and would not ever buy 4 of them, but the 4 Gibsons were still better than the Epi.
Get an Epi Explorer instead. The pickups are the same but its better looking and cheaper
Japanese made Epiphone Elitists = Gibsons with a thicker finish and half the price.

Korean made regular Epiphones from 2004-start of 2006 = on par with any guitar double their price, in some cases as good as the lower end Gibsons and can be better with some upgrading.

Much older Korean made Epiphones = total crap, not even made with the right type of wood, let alone good quality wood.

New Chinese made Epiphones = total crap, worst craftsmanship I've ever seen and the quality control is all over the place.

Bottom line is if you can get one of the Elitist range or a used Korean one from a couple of years ago, you're onto a winner. Otherwise, don't touch them.

Quote by IAMREALLYCOOL
Don't get an Epi Explorer instead. The pickups are the same but its much worse looking and cheaper
Fixed.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Well, there a classic guitar for a more affordable price - I personally love them and as the Gibsons come with a hefty price-tag its the next best thing.
Customized Fender Stratocastor Standard
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Lag GLA200BCE
"New Chinese made Epiphones = total crap, worst craftsmanship I've ever seen and the quality control is all over the place."

Highly disagree with this statement.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Acoustic-Electric CD140SCE
Hi, new to these boards. I have a one and I love it, I just put on some nice strings and it sounds wonderful. Pickups and action are amazing. I've only been playing guitar for about a year now but I bought a Epi Les Paul so I learned on a nice guitar and not some squire. And it's simply great.
Quote by IdiotWind
"New Chinese made Epiphones = total crap, worst craftsmanship I've ever seen and the quality control is all over the place."

Highly disagree with this statement.
Then I'm going to hazard a guess that you've probably never known anything better either, or otherwise aren't in a position to comment. Having owned, borrowed, rented and played many Epiphones, I can confidently say that the newer Chinese ones are some of the worst made instruments I've ever come across. On the other hand my older Korean one out plays Gibsons that cost three times the price.

Quote by KurtsJagStang93
so I learned on a nice guitar and not some squire.
Nowt wrong with Squier me'lad. The Japanese and American Fenders of course blow them out the water, but they're basically on par with the Mexican Fenders which cost twice as much.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Then I'm going to hazard a guess that you've probably never known anything better either, or otherwise aren't in a position to comment. Having owned, borrowed, rented and played many Epiphones, I can confidently say that the newer Chinese ones are some of the worst made instruments I've ever come across. On the other hand my older Korean one out plays Gibsons that cost three times the price.

Nowt wrong with Squier me'lad. The Japanese and American Fenders of course blow them out the water, but they're basically on par with the Mexican Fenders which cost twice as much.

I've played many-a expensive guitars, and I still highly disagree. Passing me off as a newb isnt gonna change that.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Acoustic-Electric CD140SCE
yeah the epiphone les paul is a great guitar..i've played standards, and they play very well..the only problem i have with les pauls is the single cut out, its hard to get use to playing up high..but its not to much of a problem after you get use to it...otherwise their made really well....if you have around 800 bucks you could get a gibson faded les paul..those are made just the same as standard gibson les pauls...same feel...just they dont look the same..and the finnish is faded...that could be another choice..and they sound great too..maybe check that out