Hi ....

So from the title you would have guessed that i'm pretty much a noob as far as acoustic guitars are concerned right .. i'm getting a new acoustic ...and a lot of people
have been telling me to get a solid top ...

So ....what is a solid top ? how is it better ?
Solid top is made from a solid piece of wood. Laminated top is made from several pieces stuck together.

Tone is subjective, IMO, but almost everyone will agree that solid tops sound better for virtually every application.
A solid top acoustic has a solid piece of wood for the top (the piece with the sound hole) as opposed from a top made from laminated pieces of wood. Supposedly the sound quality is better. Also it's supposedly stronger, but can also have it's own problems.

http://acousticguitartwang.blogspot.com/2008/02/acoustic-guitar-laminated-wood-vs-solid.html
how is it better ?

Well firstly, it isnt always. A well constructed guitar using a laminate top will be superior to a poorly constructed solid top guitar. Generally speaking though, a solid top is far superior. This is because wood is stiffer and resonates more freely whereas glue is flimsier and muffles sound. Laminate top guitars also have layers facing different directions which impedes the soundboard's ability to vibrate.

Also it's supposedly stronger

I dont agree with this.
Sorry for thread hijack but I also have a question:

So why do they make the laminated top at all? Is it that expensive to find this small thin piece of wood just for the size of a guitar?!
I mean we are not talking about diamond here. It's just wood.
Last edited by faramarz at Aug 18, 2008,
Quote by faramarz

So why do they make the laminated top at all? Is it that expensive to find this small thin piece of wood just for the size of a guitar?!

lol ....i agree....also ...is this a solid top ? what does spruce mean ?

http://www.tanglewoodguitars.co.uk/products/default.asp?cID=26463189&sID=26465122
for it's price you would assume it's solid top and probably solid back and sides.

spruce is the type of wood.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
^--Solid top? Yes. Solid back and sides? Dont think so.

So why do they make the laminated top at all?

Quicker, cheaper and easier to make.
Quote by GoDrex
A solid top acoustic has a solid piece of wood for the top (the piece with the sound hole) as opposed from a top made from laminated pieces of wood. Supposedly the sound quality is better. Also it's supposedly stronger, but can also have it's own problems.

http://acousticguitartwang.blogspot.com/2008/02/acoustic-guitar-laminated-wood-vs-solid.html

A solid piece of wood is softer than laminated wood. So if you're looking for a beater to take to the beach, campfire, house party.. take a laminated guitar b/c it's far less likely to get broken.
laminate should be stronger though, should it not? when laminate is made, they glue the grains in opposing directions in order to give it strength, no?
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
A laminated top is more rugged. By far. Since the grains are in opposite directions like you mentioned, it won't do things like crack or split the way solid tops do.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Quote by faramarz

You are sorely mistaken. Like any other material in the world, there are cheap types of wood and very VERY expensive types of wood. Laminate top guitars are often made from ground up wood scraps that are molded to the needed size.

Quote by captivate
laminate should be stronger though, should it not? when laminate is made, they glue the grains in opposing directions in order to give it strength, no?

Correct!