So I have a gig on the 5th September in a middle size venue and I need a multi-effect board so I can bring along my effects. Up until now I've just used my the effects from my amp plus a wah pedal so I have never been in need of a multi-fx board. So basically my questions is: would the boss me-50 be suitable for live gigs aswell as band practices? On the review page on UG I read that some people have had problems when cranking up the amp live and that it isn't good for switching effects during a song...

cheers and thx in advance!
why dont you just use your amp and wah pedal?

and yes boss me50 would be suitable for band situations. i wouldnt, but the other dude in my band uses one and loves it.
Not much time to learn a new piece of gear before playing live.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Its a great pedal for the gigging guitarist, very simple to use.

The overdrives aren't the best, but the fx are very good, you might want to use your wah wah pedal with it though as the one onboard is a little weak.

Just make sure you use it in manual mode as there is no delay when changing fx etc
Ibanez RG570
USA Strat
Epi Les Paul

Peavey Classic 30
Epi Valve Jnr
Laney LV200
Boss ME50
Daddy O
DC Solid Metal
GNX 3000
Well its sturdy, and the sounds aren't bad, its definitely tough enough. Switching between say a phase and a flanger may be difficult to do quickly, you'd have to switch to phase then maybe change parameters. The same can be said for switching between banks of patches, the button to move through is too small to hit with your foot, but they're only small things, I think you'd be fine.
Quote by tAkE iT aWay <3
why dont you just use your amp and wah pedal?

and yes boss me50 would be suitable for band situations. i wouldnt, but the other dude in my band uses one and loves it.

I need to use the amp they're using at the venue cause there are like 5 different bands playing that evening... gonna bring my wah but since we have a quite a range of different styles I need something I can just plug-in and go.
It also has a cab sim, so its good for direct recording or going direct into the PA
Ibanez RG570
USA Strat
Epi Les Paul

Peavey Classic 30
Epi Valve Jnr
Laney LV200
Boss ME50
Daddy O
DC Solid Metal
GNX 3000
multi effects are great, but there is one downside: that thing breaks down and you need an effect, you're f*cked. the chances of multiple effects breaking down all at once are less opposed to one multi effect unit breaking down. I'm not saying that multi effect units are unreliable, because i have used a Boss GT-8 in the past, and it was awesome and built like a tank. but, like i stated, if all your effects in one box goes down...

also, it takes a while to program your perfect settings, so if it's an emergency, you cant run out and but a new one, like a wah pedal or a chorus pedal, because you'll have to take time to program all your setting in there.

but besides that, they are great because all your effects are in one box which makes it easier to carry. it also leaves your tone cleaner because you don't run through five different boxes that add cable length and reduce your signal.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
The Me50 is like having individual stomps in terms of the layout and adjusting your settings.

It couldnt be easier, dont confuse this box with the GNX's or Pods or the Boss GT's, its totally different
Ibanez RG570
USA Strat
Epi Les Paul

Peavey Classic 30
Epi Valve Jnr
Laney LV200
Boss ME50
Daddy O
DC Solid Metal
GNX 3000
Dear god

You're playing a mid-sized venue with a spider?
true story, new band i'm in the other guitar player has a 75 watt 2x12 spider. My classic 30 can beat it when the spider is cranked and the classic is on 5. how the hell are you even going to be heard in the mix?!
Quote by Highwaytohell
Dear god

You're playing a mid-sized venue with a spider?
true story, new band i'm in the other guitar player has a 75 watt 2x12 spider. My classic 30 can beat it when the spider is cranked and the classic is on 5. how the hell are you even going to be heard in the mix?!

I think you misunderstood me... I'm not using my amp, that's why I need a multi-fx board to bring along my settings.

and cheers to all your help guys, really appreciate it!
Last edited by .:SwAmPmOnKeY:. at Aug 16, 2008,
Quote by .:SwAmPmOnKeY:.
I think you misunderstood me... I'm not using my amp, that's we I need a multi-fx board to bring along my settings.

and cheers to all your help guys, really appreciate it!

I pray for your soul... That will sound awful
Quote by Highwaytohell
I pray for your soul... That will sound awful

what will?

Do you mean:

my amp?
the boss me-50 through my amp?
the boss me-50 through the venue amp
the boss me-50 through any amp?

I don't get it...
Last edited by .:SwAmPmOnKeY:. at Aug 16, 2008,
Quote by .:SwAmPmOnKeY:.
what will?

Do you mean:

my amp?
the boss me-50 through my amp?
the boss me-50 through the venue amp
the boss me-50 through any amp?

I don't get it...

yeah, he wasn't too clear. my understanding is that you are plugging into the PA system with your Boss ME-50? if that is so, it won't sound terrible, but it wont sound optimal, either.

The ME-50 is not terrible, it won't sound like sh*t, which is more than i can say about Line6 spiders.

Ditch the spider, get a good amp, if it's in your budget. but don't buy the first amp you can afford, save up for a long while and get a really good, sturdy, long lasting amp.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.