Epiphone So Cal 50
23 42%
Peavey Windsor
28 51%
Marshall MG100HDFX
4 7%
Voters: 55.
Page 1 of 2
Long story short, my 13 year old nephew got a $1,000 voucher at his local music store. He's decided he wants to get a half stack (sigh) and he has narrowed it down to 3 things.

Epiphone So Cal
Peavey Windsor
Marshall MG

I'm trying to steer him towards the so cal, because I know that I can get it off him one weekend and do the same mods I did to my old one and get a semi-decent amp out of it, but I'm pretty inexperienced in the Windsor. He uses his pod x3 live a fair bit, and he has a pedal board which rivals my own.

So feel free to offer the pro's and cons of each amp. Second hand is not an option, and there really isn't much else in the way of amps on offer there.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
good heaven! steer him away from the MG! get anything but the MG.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
i dont even think you can get an MG as pricey as that. Maybe split it equals on a good guitar and a good amp? Hmm maybe im thinking ££ here.

Well definately not the mg (from experience). No point spending money on the so cal if you're gonna just mod it to make it only half decent.

What music style does he play?
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
mg suck dont even touch it peavys are good but you should try them (except the mg) and see what sound he likes. it all depends on what music he plays.
LET THE CHIPS FALL WHERE THEY MAY

I don't trust anything that bleeds for 5 days and doesn't die (about women) - Jens Ludwig

Quote by leony03
That made me lol so hard!!!

yay
$1000USD?
He can get something way sweeter then a ****ing MG or anything else on that list dude.
MGs aren't all bad. everyone flames them, but you can get them to sound decent. they're no JTM45 or Bassman by a long shot, but they aer not as bad as everyone who jumps on the "MGs Suck" bandwagon would have you beleive. i say try all the amps out. get the one you like. don't go in there with the attitude that this amp sucks or that amp is sh*t.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Jhachey22
MGs aren't all bad. everyone flames them, but you can get them to sound decent. they're no JTM45 or Bassman by a long shot, but they aer not as bad as everyone who jumps on the "MGs Suck" bandwagon would have you beleive. i say try all the amps out. get the one you like. don't go in there with the attitude that this amp sucks or that amp is sh*t.

Hate the bandwagon, hate the amp

its all the same, they're still (largely) crap
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
What styles of music does he play?
What music store is it ? Do they carry mesa. orange?
Can the voucher be exchanged for cash?
Yes, an MG is that pricey. I don't live in America, an MG halfstack comes out around $1100 here, and no, that isn't RRP, thats after some basic bargaining.

He is 13, and a begginer. He doesn't play any particular styles. He plays the ****ty single note songs you learn in guitar lessons when you first start.

No, he will not listen to me. He's decided he wants a stack. My brother won't stop him.

No, the store doesn't carry any other brands worth looking at. No, it can't be exchanged for cash (who ever heard of stores giving away vouchers in a competition then exchanging them for cash?) It only applies to in-stock products, which is why it only comes down to these 3 amps in his search for a stack.

I would mod the so cal to make it a better amp. Why would I make it worse?

I've obviously tried everything, including offering him cash for the voucher, or telling him to get another guitar (a 13 year old learner who has a Gibson BFG and an American strat, he isn't going to listen). I've resigned myself to the fact that he is getting one of these 3 amps, so I'm trying to make the best of a bad situation.

These amps only fit into the price range after I've called the store and hassled them about prices. The MG as it is would cost him an extra $100, while the Windsor and the So Cal are right on $1k.
Quote by kyrreca
Here is what to do, buy an Epiphone Valve Junior, a Marshall 1960B 4x12, and a boss SD-1 they come out to around $1000. That will get you the absolute best tone for the money. The tone is closer to the vintage marshalls when it is cranked than any of these other peices of junk you are thinking of. If you want you could even mod it for him to have it take an EL-34 and the tone will get even better. He will not be disappointed.
2009 Engl Powerball 100watt
1985 Marshall 1960a 4x12 with G12-65s
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
Last edited by acdc51502112 at Aug 17, 2008,
Show him this forum. We'll set him straight. Of the three, I guess the Windsor or the Socal.
I don't have any experience with the epi but the Windsor is ok. Not great but alright.
Man, 1000?
So many options and he chooses three of the worst
Try to get him to go for a nice tube combo
Sounds like its lesson time for him. Good thing he's gonna learn it with free money this time.
I played the windsor studio thought it might be a decent amp but I don't know about the stack ver. Maybe stuck in the back of the stockroom there is something else hidden away
I'm wondering if there is a good combo in stock to play? I realize he is dying for a stack but... Admitting the problem is the first step to recovery.
sit him down infront of UG and type in the search: Marshall MG100DFX

Make him read the entire first page of threads, beginning to end, and supervise him. Then get him to summarize each thread into 10 points about it

Then make him recite the points for each thread that he wrote down
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by danyellenik
sit him down infront of UG and type in the search: "any of the three amps he has to choose from"

Fixed. Sorry but he shouldn't buy an inferior amp at an inflated price, ever. Buy lessons, strings and picks.
^that is either hilarious or an epic failure in reading comprehension. I'm hoping for hilarious.
Quote by gregs1020
^that is either hilarious or an epic failure in reading comprehension. I'm hoping for hilarious.

haha it's "hilarious"

I comprehended what you said
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
amp before guitars..
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
Quote by danyellenik
haha it's "hilarious"

I comprehended what you said

I did laugh first, then I thought - "no way!"
He already has 2 sweet guitars for a kid his age.

A Marshall 1960B is $1100. Again, not retail price. Try again.

I've told him over and over and over, but he won't listen to me.

Like somebody said, at least this lesson won't cost him anything out-of-pocket the first time around.

I already got my brother a VJ and modded it, my nephew doesn't like it.

I'm pretty sure they are purposley lying to us about whats in stock, the voucher does say whats on the floor, but one of the guys was pretty cool and told us what was in stock in the price range.
Quote by kyrreca
1000 dollars and your considering mg
get a tube combo, i'd suggest a fender HRD... or maybe a marshall dsl 401
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Quote by Cofflecakes
No, he will not listen to me. He's decided he wants a stack. My brother won't stop him.

I'd focus on your brother, then. Really try to get across the idea to him that his son is looking at the choice of a crappy halfstack, or a nice sounding combo that he could potentially have for the rest of his life. The kid sounds spoiled, stubborn, and stupid if you ask me - no offense!

Quote by Cofflecakes
I've resigned myself to the fact that he is getting one of these 3 amps, so I'm trying to make the best of a bad situation.

These amps only fit into the price range after I've called the store and hassled them about prices. The MG as it is would cost him an extra $100, while the Windsor and the So Cal are right on $1k.

My God, I can't imagine spending an extra $100 on the MG!

If you're really confident about the So Cal, that's definitely the direction you should push him in. Otherwise, I'd probably go with the Peavey. With either amp, it would be wise to find a better speaker cab. I know jerky wants a halfstack, but maybe you can steer him towards a higher quality 2x12 instead?

When he comes back in a couple years and realizes he should've gotten a nice combo way back when, make sure you slap him on top of the head. It would be better if it was his own money, IMHO, as the lesson would more likely stick.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
True, at least he'd learn his lesson that way!

I'm not 100% on the So Cal, because theres always the chance he will keep being a stubborn little prick and not let me mod it. I spoke to him more this morning about it, and he is adamant about a half stack, nothing less, potentially more! He's going to always use his POD X3 Live with it, so I guess it really depends how clean the windsor can stay across all volume ranges.

Side note, with my 8-6 shifts at work at the moment, I can't get anywhere with a windsor before they close, so I can't go sample one. Anyone know what would go better?

Xander, again, neither of those amps fit in the price range. If your going to ignore the rest of the thread and suggest other amps (which ive been doing, but been shut down, hence the thread!) at least do your research into prices in Australia.

Here is a nice little comparison for you. Everything will cost at least twice as much. So double the price, then convert into AUD, and THATS about what it's going to cost him.
Quote by kyrreca
The Windsor has a better overdriven tone, but the So Cal might be better for him if he needs cleans to run his POD. The Windsor is high powered, but that doesn't translate to a lot of clean headroom.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Well, he came on UG. Now he has decided he wants to go with the So Cal cab, and a 6260.

Thanks muchly guys. Now he has an amp which has surprisingly good hard rock/metal tone and reliability (anybody remember how badly I trashed mine?), but he has no style yet. At least I get a pod x3 live out of it for cheap :P
Quote by kyrreca
Last edited by Cofflecakes at Aug 21, 2008,
Thanks for the happy ending!

Edit: I swear I didn't realize the double-entendre, but that's funny.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 21, 2008,
Quote by Cofflecakes
Well, he came on UG. Now he has decided he wants to go with the So Cal cab, and a 6260.

Thanks muchly guys. Now he has an amp which has surprisingly good hard rock/metal tone and reliability (anybody remember how badly I trashed mine?), but he has no style yet. At least I get a pod x3 live out of it for cheap :P

Just make sure he doesn't become a little prick who brags about his gear.
'15 Fender Modern Player Tele
'88 MIK Squier Strat
'06 Ibanez RG5EX1
Peavey Vypyr 75

Currently GASing for: Orange TH30C
Quote by frozen_soul
dude tell him to buy a sick ass guitar and just get like a cheap decent amp.

Peavey classic 30, and an Agile.
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

More to the point, what need / is a 13 y.o old doing with an X3 and a $1000 half-stack
Gear:

07 Gibson LP Vintage Mahogany
90-91 Fender MIJ '62 Reissue Strat
Fender Acoustic/Electric
Marshall TSL601 Combo
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Boss Tu-2
Quote by Leper_Messiah_
More to the point, what need / is a 13 y.o old doing with an X3 and a $1000 half-stack

Or with a Gibson and an American Strat that, in this country, both cost him over $2k a piece? Or the promise of a brand new commodore for his 16th birthday? Then another new car for his 18th?

He has too much money. He got left quite a few assests, and his dad lets him spend some of the money he makes off them. And my brother is fairly rich. Now he's putting another $300 in on top of his voucher, and thats just if he goes the 6260!

Peavey Classic 30 didn't fit in the price range anyway.

I'm not saying the Bugera is a bad amp, but he was already making a bad choice. Throwing more money into it isn't making things any better for him.

He is already a little prick who brags about his gear. He goes to a private, snobby school where half of them refuse to touch anything that doesnt say Gibson or Fender on the headstock. The other half are PRS fanboys who won't touch anything that isn't a Custom series.

Funny thing is years 7-9 all seem to be playing at the same lvl. I'm sure they progress to open chords throughout their VCE
Quote by kyrreca
Quote by Leper_Messiah_

Or with a Gibson and an American Strat that, in this country, both cost him over $2k a piece? Or the promise of a brand new commodore for his 16th birthday? Then another new car for his 18th?

He has too much money. He got left quite a few assests, and his dad lets him spend some of the money he makes off them. And my brother is fairly rich. Now he's putting another $300 in on top of his voucher, and thats just if he goes the 6260!

I'm not saying the Bugera is a bad amp, but he was already making a bad choice. Throwing more money into it isn't making things any better for him.

He is already a little prick who brags about his gear. He goes to a private, snobby school where half of them refuse to touch anything that doesnt say Gibson or Fender on the headstock. The other half are PRS fanboys who won't touch anything that isn't a Custom series.

Funny thing is years 7-9 all seem to be playing at the same lvl. I'm sure they progress to open chords throughout their VCE
Quote by kyrreca
Quote by Cofflecakes

ha i went to one of those schools, f'ing hate those kinds of kids. if he's at that level then just get a Cube 60 and tell him to stfu and put the money in the bank.
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
Quote by Cofflecakes

What a little ass. You should have let him get the **** amp and let him deal with it.

Don't give him help if he's going to be a douchebag. Let him suck at guitar. Let him break his back lugging the half stack, and when he brags about his amp just tell him yours is better.

And tell your brother to grow a sack and discipline his kid.

Sorry if I offend you, it's just that little snobby kids piss me off. I've had the same 20-watt solid state since I began. And if he's playing the crappy one-note songs what does he need a halfstack and pod x3 for? Is he going to melt your damn face with some DISTORTED, BEASTLY, SHREDTASTIC Ode To Joy?
'15 Fender Modern Player Tele
'88 MIK Squier Strat
'06 Ibanez RG5EX1
Peavey Vypyr 75

Currently GASing for: Orange TH30C
Last edited by hotsnakes at Aug 22, 2008,
if those amps are the only options, then bye any of them, sell them else where, and use the cash to buy something worth while from somewhere else
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
And people are still just proving their ignorance by not even reading the first post, let alone the rest of the thread

He is a little asshole, I take no offence whatsoever.

To the people who think anything other than a poll is too long to read;

USE YOUR ****ING BRAINS. God you people **** me more than any 13 year old rich **** could. I obviously can't force him to get anything, otherwise why would this thread be here? He's decided on something, and there are only 3 things in his range, so he asks me what is better. DO YOU THINK I SAID THEY ARE ALL AMAZING AMPS? **** you people are stupid. If I could stop him from getting one, I would. But I can't. So we are trying to make the best of a bad situation. Ignorant ass ****ing americans don't always help. People who even bother to read THE FIRST ****ING POST would be able to help. This is where the stereotype of the ****ing American moron comes from. Have some respect for yourself, get off the ****ing bandwagons, read the ****ing threads and make yourself useful members of ANY society.

/rant
Quote by kyrreca
Page 1 of 2