Hi. I'm pretty sick of my jcm 900, and want an amp that is great for rock and blues, with some shred tones on tap. The artists I'm thinking of include: Joe Satriani, Gary Moore, Guthrie Govan, Slash, Billy Gibbons, Richie Sambora, Joe Perry etc.
I also want usable cleans and reverb if possible.
I want a huge, dynamic lead tone... the sort that gives you goosebumps when you hear it
I'm going to be gigging this, but I want to be able to push it. Therefore, nothing above 30 watts really, although I am open to suggestion.
I'm also willing to buy used.

Amps I'm looking at : Cornford roadhouse combo, Cornford Hurricane, Orange Rockerverb, Cornell 18/20 plexi, Marshall 1974x reissue.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

This thread was practically made for me to lurk in.
*Lurks*
Last edited by Horlicks at Aug 16, 2008,
i would suggest a Splawn Nitro or Quickrod, although im not sure how accesible they are in England
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
any cornford would probably satisfy.
My band's one cover is in my profile!

Rig:

Charvel San Dimas Style 2 Pagan Gold
Traynor YCS50
Visual Sound H2O
Morley Bad Horsie
Ibanez TS9
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
If you're looking at that Marshall re-issue, you'd be better buying one by Metropoulus. Their clones of those amps are a lot better than the re-issues Marshall make.
Go Cornford.
Although, which model depends on you.

EDIT: But, the roadhouse is the only Cornford not handwired. It uses a PCB board.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
Go Cornford.
Although, which model depends on you.

EDIT: But, the roadhouse is the only Cornford not handwired. It uses a PCB board.

I know it's pcb's, but I've heard really good things. And it's £250 cheaper than the hurricane... the decision's irritating me now lol.
Hopefully DaveMC will be able to get on here. He's pretty knowledgeable when it comes to boutique amps and higher budget stuff.

Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

The splawns look pretty nice. Anyone know where I could get one from in the UK? and the pricing.

cheers
Quote by Skraeling86

Quote by Bubban

Quote by jimbob78
The splawns look pretty nice. Anyone know where I could get one from in the UK? and the pricing.

cheers

You'd have to import direct from US and it would be way over £1000
cornford sounds good to me. might as well try everything you can, though. i liked the cornell romany i tried, but they're a lot more vintage in tone, i think?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah. Nice amps though. I played the Romany plus. The nice thing about the Cornells, is that you can adjust the wattage and really make them cook. I'm more interested in the roadhouse and the hurricane though. I'll have to try them out, because although the roadhouse seems like better value, it's not handwired. Not to be a snob - but it could affect the sound tremendously. Only problem with that is, if I prefer the Hurricane, I'll have to lay out a grand to buy it o_0
Quote by Skraeling86

Quote by Bubban

How would being handwired affect the sound? I don't really see any way that handwired is better than machine.
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
That's it :|
Last edited by UpTheIrons! at Aug 17, 2008,
Quote by UpTheIrons!
How would being handwired affect the sound? I don't really see any way that handwired is better than machine.

Handwired is more likely to last forever, have fewer problems, and have a possible improvement in tone - but not too much IIRC.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by UpTheIrons!

Pretty much guaranteed to last longer than you if you treat it right. If it's wired well it can also improve tone and reduce noise.
Quote by jimbob78
Yeah. Nice amps though. I played the Romany plus. The nice thing about the Cornells, is that you can adjust the wattage and really make them cook. I'm more interested in the roadhouse and the hurricane though. I'll have to try them out, because although the roadhouse seems like better value, it's not handwired. Not to be a snob - but it could affect the sound tremendously. Only problem with that is, if I prefer the Hurricane, I'll have to lay out a grand to buy it o_0

it was the romany plus i tried too, haha, sorry about that. i think i tried a slightly older one, though, as it didn't have the switch down to a quarter of a watt. it's a cool feature, as you said, and the eq defeat switch was really cool too.

my biggest concern with cornford (and i said so when it came up on the bareknuckle forum just after the roadhouses were released) was that cornford spent the entire first couple of years of their company began banging on about how handwired was superior, and that there wasn't a pcb in sight. then all of a sudden, they release a pcb amp. What gives? Either they were lying about the benefits of handwiring, or the roadhouse is vastly inferior to their other amps- neither alternative exactly does them much credit, in my opinion.

Note, I am not saying that handwiring is necessarily better- i'm saying that cornford changed their tune just about the time they released a pcb amp. Which is extremely convenient for them... expediency isn't a trait which I admire. At all.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by necrophilic
cornford mk50?
soldano slo?

SLO is almost £2000 over budget
theres a laney TT50 combo going for £500 on the guitarguitar website

BARGAIN

and you'd have cash left for an attenuator (which you'd still need for a 30W) pedals, a speaker swap if need be and you'd have more gigging power
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
I too would go Cornford route. I have played a harlequin in some shop Bristol way (Jam is it?? can't remember!)

Just to throw a tiger in with the sparrows - what about a Vetta II? Great modelling, great tone, use for practice/gigging/recording. All bases covered there.

I would definately consider it.
Quote by UpTheIrons!

There are several reasons. 1 is that the type of solder they use for the machine wired amps is more likely to have problems and give you bad solder joint which will cause crackling after a few years time. Another reason is that the printed bords they use in machine wired amps have higher resistance and greater inductance than point to point wiring. Combine that with the fact that the signals have to travel much farther means that you get more background noise and less high end from a machine wired amp. Also, when amps are hand wired they tend to use higher quality components. The best caps and resistors do not fit well and a printed board and are therefore not used. Higher quality parts means you sound more alive.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Sep 2, 2008,
Hate to revive an old thread, but I'd rather not clog up the forums with a new one on the same topic. I'm still fairly indecisive, although I'm mainly looking at the Cornford Roadhouse 30, the Cornford Hurricane, the Cornell Plexi 18/20, and the newest contender, the Blackstar Artisan 15/30.
Any further input? especially from those that have played/owned any of these amps.

Quote by Skraeling86

Quote by Bubban

If I lived across the pond like you, my living room would look like a Cornford
dealers showroom. How could you NOT buy a Conford over like, well, anything else?
They are cheaper there right? They are the price of gold over here in the states. I will never forget the first time I heard a Conford amp this summer. WoW!
Quote by TheEsupremacy
If I lived across the pond like you, my living room would look like a Cornford
dealers showroom. How could you NOT buy a Conford over like, well, anything else?
They are cheaper there right? They are the price of gold over here in the states. I will never forget the first time I heard a Conford amp this summer. WoW!

I think the problem is, it's hard to try them over here so you can't really know much about the tone, how much gain it has etc.
Quote by Horlicks
SLO is almost £2000 over budget

A SLO is 3000 pounds sterling over there? Holy cats. It's four grand here.

anyway...

Check this out: http://www.matamp.co.uk/
Not too keen on what I've seen/heard from the matamp... not to mention I'd like a combo that's a little lore than 7 watts....
I'm sure they're great, but I don't think they're for me.
Quote by Skraeling86

Quote by Bubban

Quote by jimbob78
Not too keen on what I've seen/heard from the matamp... not to mention I'd like a combo that's a little lore than 7 watts....
I'm sure they're great, but I don't think they're for me.

The GT1 is 80 watts, and the King Street combo is 50.

Granted, there aren't that many clips of them, though. They are similar to Orange, but with more balls.

Was just suggesting, though, so if you don't like it, that's fine
I'd probably suggest a JTM45 with an external reverb.

The Metropoulos maybe outside your budget, but I'm sure there are good builders across the pond as well.

If you want a huge dynamic lead tone, the JTM45 is the perfect lead player's amp. Nails the Billy Gibbons, Angus Young type of lead tone. If thats what you're looking for. 30 watts. http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2977 And an amazing clean to boot. Far beyond than any other Marshall, has a Bassman character clean, but a huge crunch that sounds quite distinct from the later plexis.

Or you can look for the Marshall 20 watt "lead and bass" plexi head, or of course the 18 watt TMB.
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 8, 2008,
Quote by jimbob78
Hate to revive an old thread, but I'd rather not clog up the forums with a new one on the same topic. I'm still fairly indecisive, although I'm mainly looking at the Cornford Roadhouse 30, the Cornford Hurricane, the Cornell Plexi 18/20, and the newest contender, the Blackstar Artisan 15/30.
Any further input? especially from those that have played/owned any of these amps.

the hurricane is awesome, but i haven't tried any of the others.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?