Guys,

Ok, so I am new at this (playing guitar) and I have a question. Please, if this is covered elsewhere, direct me to the thread and I will go there.

So, why is some equipment (guitar mostly) better for some genre's than others? For example, I have heard that a Fender Strat might not be the best choice for Heavy Metal. Well, why not? Is it in the pickup's or something in the guitar itself that it can't make the right tones?

I probably sound clueless and I probably am. But I am genuinely curious as to why the above is said. Thanks.
It isn't.

It's just, there's some tones that some equipment can get better for a certain genre, than others.

A strat can perfectly work in metal. Especially if it has humbuckers (considering you're deciding to go with high gain).
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
when it comes to guitars, it depends on pickups for different sounds, what kind of wood, how its built, wight and so on.. im pretty sure more peoples here will know this better than me xP
Quote by ealtdharkon
Sorry to break this to you, but you "hardcore" fans don't HAVE mosh pits.
You have epileptic line dancing.

Quote by NotTheSun3290
Well... I AM a virgin, afterall...
with that example its because of the pick-ups, the single-coil pickups found on the average strat dont sound as good as humbuckers for metal, they sound weak and lack punch.

overall, its the sound that is produced by equipment that makes it suited to a genre.
some amps are better at metal, some are more suitable for blues
It's to do with the amount of gain the pickups have and whether they're single coils or humbuckers and also the actual shape and design of the guitar itself, like les pauls are big and chunky and they have a nice big tone for full bodied classic rock riffs, but then it's not ideal for shred because the neck doesn't allow for easy access to the the higher frets and usually it's too fat, but then a jackson or an ibanez will have a really thin neck to allow for fast movement around it and so on, but as far as gain and tone are concerned about 80-85% of that is down to the amp.
As everyone has mentioned, for guitar tone, it depends on what pickup you are using and what frequencies they are wound to. Just for that metal tone, 70% - 90% is largely contributed by the pickups. Then the body shape, material, neck & fretboard contribute to the nuances of specific guitar tones.

Of course on the other end, the amp and anything else on the effect chain will also affect how you sound.

If you took a Fender or any other "non-metal" guitar and slapped a high gain pickup like the SD Distortion or Dimarzio X2N on it, and ran it into a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier you'll be well on your way to a metal tone. The tone will definitely be metal, but you potentially may not get your 100% death metal or doom metal tone.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Thanks, all, for the input.

So, if I have a Squire Fat Strat with a Humbucker in the bridge, I can get a "metal" tone out of it if I get a better amp? My amp pretty much sucks. If I turn on overdrive, I get a buzz above a gain of 4. I do have a DaneElectro Honey Tone micro amp that sounds better.

I also have an Ibanez GAX50 with dual Humbuckers...would that be a better choice?

Thanks again.