Page 1 of 2
yo how are you all first?... gurd. right i was wandering if anyone could tell me any tricks on guitar, basically i know how to finger tap and pinch harmonic but im mainly a rythm guitarist and ive been playing 3 years and i wanna improve my game a little if ya know any just tell what it is and explain it and ill be much obleiged. btw im into metal
Sweeping as complicated as that
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
killswicth only works if u have a volume control for each pick up turn 1 to 10 and anther to 0
then toggle the swicth
Quote by 08don
yes, thank you guitarfreak. free bj for you anytime. just not from me. no homo.
Quote by guitarfreak786
killswicth only works if u have a volume control for each pick up turn 1 to 10 and anther to 0
then toggle the swicth

you can actually wire a killswitch to your guitar you don't just need 2 pickups with independent volume controls.
yeah i have an epi les paul custom with a marshal avt 100. i know how to killswitch, i want a trick that i can learn thats a real eye opener and sounds ace so that i can almost trade mark it
Last edited by gooooog at Aug 16, 2008,
Try playing well, that's a good trick.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
^ im a big fan of that trick, its not done often enough. typically the people who can't do that trick are the ones trying to fling their guitars around or play'em with their teeth or some sh!t like that.
You've already failed. It's wrong to think of stuff like sweeping and tapping as tricks. The guitar isn't an instrument for tricks, it should be played musically. Things like sweeping and tapping are just means to a musical end.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Try playing well, that's a good trick.

Not too many kids do that one nowadays...
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
Quote by Veillantif

Number 4 is my favorite.
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
If you DO NOT have a whammy bar, I have a cool little trick for you. I'm going to teach you the art of whammying without a whammy. What you're gonna want to do is pick a note, i personally like using the E string 12th fret, and you play that note just as you would normally. Then what you do is pull the E string so it touches the A string, and if you want to be really cool you can move it back. Then if you keep moving it back and forth it sounds like a whammy. You see, you don't need a whammy bar to whammy, and you can save like...30 bucks per guitar just by not buying a whammy. You can whammy, with out a whammy!
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
Quote by alienboy18241
If you DO NOT have a whammy bar, I have a cool little trick for you. I'm going to teach you the art of whammying without a whammy. What you're gonna want to do is pick a note, i personally like using the E string 12th fret, and you play that note just as you would normally. Then what you do is pull the E string so it touches the A string, and if you want to be really cool you can move it back. Then if you keep moving it back and forth it sounds like a whammy. You see, you don't need a whammy bar to whammy, and you can save like...30 bucks per guitar just by not buying a whammy. You can whammy, with out a whammy!

ummm isnt that just virbrato?
Quote by alienboy18241

Exactly, that's what people like Buckethead do. That's right, the guy with the KFC box and the chuckie mask.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Sonicxlover
Exactly, that's what people like Buckethead do. That's right, the guy with the KFC box and the chuckie mask.

Damn straight man. Slash does the same. I don't see why anyone would buy a whammy.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange

Damn straight man. Slash does the same. I don't see why anyone would buy a whammy.

Because there's more to a tremolo than just bending a note down one or two steps.

People have been doing dropped bends and wide vibrato as you described for ever and ever, not really anything special, not in and of itself, anyway.

The best guitar tricks aren't really so much tricks, but well placed "normal" techniques.

Look at the intro to Green Tinted Sixties Mind (off of Mr. Big's "Lean Into It," an awesome album if you are unfamiliar). By all extents and purposes, it's nothing overly special, aside from the slide on the tapping finger, it's nothing really special at all. But listen to it being performed, it sounds very much like a guitar "trick" as you'd describe.

Guitar tricks don't have to be crazy out of this world ideas (like playing a guitar with a violin). The best "tricks" aren't tricks at all, in my opinion.

Like people said, the best guitar trick of all, is simply playing the guitar. One of the best examples I can think of is- Steve Vai. Listen to the intro to Yankee Rose, or Building the Church, or Bad Horsie, or The Audience is Listening. None of these use really "crazy" techniques, but I promise you they turn heads when people hear them.

I guess you could do something like Get Out of My Yard, that's a neat "trick" I guess.

Sorry Hermann, I just don't find running a whammy bar up and down the strings to make a slide effect (or the Pacman sound, or the Mario noise) a great "trick." Especially when you make out something that people have been doing for years in various ways to be your own totally original idea.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
Quote by AngusX
Because there's more to a tremolo than just bending a note down one or two steps.

Thank you for posting this, you have made my day
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
Play with your buttocks.

But in all seriousness, finger tapping and such exist to allow a guitarist a method of playing something they otherwise couldnt play. Dont think of them as tricks.
Quote by AngusX

It was a joke dude.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Hey Gooog well I'm into experimental stuff so that's alot of the stuff I do, but some of my tricks (usually stolen from other people) most guiatrist wouldn't use.

Anyway try some of these:
Fret Board tapping alternating patterens on seperate strings

The Killswitch (like everyones been saying ) is cool - Youtube Buckethead - or Tom Morello

You can create a seagull noise on some guitars by pressing a string against the sedge of your rythm p/up

Anything with an electric current generates an electromagnetic field which can be picked up by your guitar. Heard of EVH's Poundcake with the drill - Think watches, TV remote (push buttons) - be creative

Use your feedback - learn how to control it

Use a dime as a slide and rub the edge against the string while you fret different notes. You get two seperate overtones.

If you have a whammy or a slide practice making the car engine noise. A cool effect in the right conditions

Get a fuzz pedal with ALOT of distorton/sustain. I use a Big Muff Pi. Do a dive bomb (hit a high harmonic and put your whammy bar all the way down) then hold it there. If you have enough gain you'll not only get the cool divebomb but the floppy strings make a wind a fire sound, just like the aftermath.

The main thing is spend some time studying other guitarists. Watch EVH on youtube he did some cool stuff. If your not into Morello or Buckethead they can give you some good ideas.

I have more, but they are more experimental/wierd kinda stuff. Just PM me if u want.

Hope that helps man...
This is really stupid, but on a Dragonforce instructional guitar video "Herman Ri", talks about doing the "Pacman' trick, it's really simpler than he makes it sound though, basically you just completely mute the strings with your hand (over the pickups on electric, sound hole on acoustic) and strum the muted strings.

Once again that is really stupid.
Here's a trick I read Steve Vai uses a lot (at least he's more creditable than Li), what you do is, do a full Legato slide down the neck (fret 1 to 21 on most guitars) and rapidly move the whammy bar up and down while doing so.
whipe your ass with the neck of your guitar. It makes very unusual sounds. JK
Last edited by rebel624 at Dec 1, 2008,
mslide from the first fret all the way up the neck whilst dropping the bar trying to keep the note from ascending...sounds like a cat purring kinda and vai does it alot and I think I have seen satch do it before also.But in all fairness tricks are tricks...and they might make someone think you are cool for 30 seconds but awesome playing with soul is timeless....work on that
Andy
Use a rat's tooth as a pick.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
"tricks" are dumb. but.
Satch Squeal - pull the whammy bar down with your fretting hand, hit a pinch harmonic on an open string (usually G) and pull up on the whammy bar. He does all sorts of crazy stuff with this. Play with different points on the string and whammy manouvers. Try it with more than one string - a double stop pinch harmonic squeal, if you will
Quote by gooooog
yeah i have an epi les paul custom with a marshal avt 100. i know how to killswitch, i want a trick that i can learn thats a real eye opener and sounds ace so that i can almost trade mark it

So you wanna STEAL somebody else's idea and then use it as a trademark?

Very creative
+1 to sweep picking
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Quote by AngusX

Down?

I Agree that innovation is the best trick you can do.
What youre talking about are tools.
What about some crazy tools for a guitarist without a whammy.

Hell, it won't make me better, but it will sure turn my guitar playing friends' heads.
Quote by AngusX

I guess you could do something like Get Out of My Yard, that's a neat "trick" I guess.

Wish I could do that trick.

I feel like an idiot, cuz I actually enjoy making those Pac-Man noises with the whammy bar. Only occasionally. Very occasionally.
Quote by TheShred201
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wr62Dvd32k

Other than that, imo there are no such things as tricks on guitar, only techniques.
What a guy.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Some people don't realize that you can bend harmonics and open notes by pressing on the string behind the nut.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
Page 1 of 2