Page 1 of 2
i have a chance to move to the states (NY, long island?), I'm 15 and i'm just about to go into year 11 and at the end of year 11 i have to decide whether i want to go or not (obviously i want to go to college either way).

Any way i come here to seek advice from the pit about whether i'd have to do any exams to be able to get into any colleges in NY. I mean over here we have GCSE's so would they count for anything or would i need to do whatever version of tests you have, i think they're called SATs or ACTs? not sure, but I'd like to know so that if i have to do them i may as well do them this year in England. Oh and any other advice about moving to NY would be great.

thanks in advance
I personally would go. You could tell your school you are moving, and they could probably get the exams from NY sent to you, so any qualifications you get would be as good as getting them in the USA.
Quote by Atomic_Assault
lololololol that was epic andyd93. you just made my day

PROUD EVERTONIAN
Advice about moving to NY? I hope you like traffic.
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty
Through sounds that make on cringe
The dogs only hear us now

yeah man, the SAt's and the ACT's are the two tests colleges use to see if theyll accept you. also, score high enough and you get scholarhsips for school. ummmm imo, the ACT is easier. I got a 30/36, and the scholarships make things alot easier lol. but thats all i got. good luck.

and why com here???? **** id rather move back over there =p
If you get you're GCSE's done over here the schools over the pond will probably look favorably upon you because apparantly we have a better education system,so my uncle informs me (he's a yank)
Quote by Mike!
This man IS the truth.

Quote by aznmetalhead93
Walk out naked with a sock around your dick. He'll be so surprised he won't shoot you. Then rape him. Hard. With melted butter as lube.

Join the Xbox Live group
Most of the US colleges accept SATs or ACTs exclusively, so it'd be a good idea to take both, since I don't know which the state of New York uses. (My money would be on the SATs, but I live in Tennessee where we use the ACTs.)

One cool thing about New York would be all the shows they get from some pretty major bands. Hope you find the States to your liking.
Quote by kaizerkhan13
yeah man, the SAt's and the ACT's are the two tests colleges use to see if theyll accept you. also, score high enough and you get scholarhsips for school. ummmm imo, the ACT is easier. I got a 30/36, and the scholarships make things alot easier lol. but thats all i got. good luck.

and why com here???? **** id rather move back over there =p

england's a bit dead to me, its great and all but i've always wanted to go and live in NY, do you think i'll be able to do the tests here? i don't mind if i have to go to the embassy or whatever, oh and why did you move from England to America if you don't mind me asking?
GCSEs don't count for much here, so I'm not sure if it's that relevant in America either.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by Greenie_777
Isn't college in America the equivalent of University here?

colleges and universities are like the same thing here in america, except i think only universities can give phds
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
NY is a sweet place with good stuff to do, even though it's more limited with college money

and SAT's are easier.... but they're both basic if you've gotta take 'em
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
"all fatties report to the gym!"

Quote by mosh_face

music should only sound like a train running into a wall of BC riches plugged into line 6 spiders
I'm always into new things, so I say go for it. It would probably be a huge change, and if you don't do it now, you might never be able to. As far as testing goes, take both the SAT and the ACT. They're designed differently, so you may do better on one than the other. With that accent, you'll probably get laid pretty often, too.

Edit: And by the way, a university is a grouping of several colleges into one school. For example, you could either go to a small liberal arts college, or a place like Notre Dame which has a College of Liberal Arts, a College of Commerce, a College of Education, etc.
Last edited by maroon5mustdie at Aug 16, 2008,
Quote by C.C. Deville
colleges and universities are like the same thing here in america, except i think only universities can give phds

Well do you have something like the equivalent to A-Levels? In England we have compulsory school until we are 16 and then afterwards we can choose to do A-Levels. After A-levels we choose whether to go to university.
Quote by maroon5mustdie
With that accent, you'll probably get laid pretty often, too.

Tickets booked. Oh and does anyone have any links to mock SAT papers? i tried google but all that comes up are the friggin easy british ones.
Quote by metallica92
i have a chance to move to the states (NY, long island?), I'm 15 and i'm just about to go into year 11 and at the end of year 11 i have to decide whether i want to go or not (obviously i want to go to college either way).

Any way i come here to seek advice from the pit about whether i'd have to do any exams to be able to get into any colleges in NY. I mean over here we have GCSE's so would they count for anything or would i need to do whatever version of tests you have, i think they're called SATs or ACTs? not sure, but I'd like to know so that if i have to do them i may as well do them this year in England. Oh and any other advice about moving to NY would be great.

thanks in advance

Where on Long Island?
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Long Island is a good place to live. The neighborhoods are peaceful where everybody knows everybody and are friendly. You'll probably have to take regents exams and the SAT's (Which colleges will look at). I say you should move.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Quote by metallica92
not sure, its a nice area though

Are you going to be up closer to the end or by the city?
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by metallica92
Tickets booked. Oh and does anyone have any links to mock SAT papers? i tried google but all that comes up are the friggin easy british ones.

I think its illegal to use past SAT exams
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

thanks for the advice I'm real excited about moving now, i just have to find out where and how to take the tests.

is the education level any different i.e will the exams be any easier or harder? i mean i'm expecting A*'s in all subjects except history (pah i hate it) so how much more studying should i think about doing?
Quote by LazyLatinoRocke

Haha in my school we basically learn the syllabus in the first half of the year. Then for the rest of the year we go through every single past exam paper and memorise almost every possible question.

My school is like the 17th best state school in the country.
Quote by LazyLatinoRocke

sheesh how do i know what to expect then :s
Quote by metallica92
thanks for the advice I'm real excited about moving now, i just have to find out where and how to take the tests.

is the education level any different i.e will the exams be any easier or harder? i mean i'm expecting A*'s in all subjects except history (pah i hate it) so how much more studying should i think about doing?

The same amount as you were, probably less. Our education system has gone to hell.

EDIT: You don't know, that's the point.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by Wulphy
Are you going to be up closer to the end or by the city?

well if it helps its not like high rise buildings and stuff, its the sual houses with garages and driveways, doubt that helps though

and the not knowing what to expect is pretty freaky, i like to practically go through every aspect of the exam requirements and make sure i know everything and anything they could possibly throw at me.
yes go.. our economy is going to collapse
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Quote by Greenie_777
Isn't college in America the equivalent of University here?

Nah. In UK college are the last two years of high school. I think.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by metallica92
well if it helps its not like high rise buildings and stuff, its the sual houses with garages and driveways, doubt that helps though

Heh, when you get here pass me a message, you may end up fairly close to me.

EDIT: Not to mention you'll have more money than all of us, seeing as the pound is worth almost double the dollar.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by Wulphy
Heh, when you get here pass me a message, you may end up fairly close to me.

EDIT: Not to mention you'll have more money than all of us, seeing as the pound is worth almost double the dollar.

sure thing, i'll add you so i don't forget
Quote by Greenie_777
Well do you have something like the equivalent to A-Levels? In England we have compulsory school until we are 16 and then afterwards we can choose to do A-Levels. After A-levels we choose whether to go to university.

mm well we have high school which the ages are usually around like 14-18 or then when you get out of high school you can go to "college"/university whatever
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Quote by Wulphy
EDIT: You don't know, that's the point.

That's a silly system. The UK system make it crystal clear on what you should be aiming for and get students to push themselves, and, without being cocky, from what I've seen, ours is at a higher standard, so it works out better.
Quote by urik
Nah. In UK college are the last two years of high school. I think.

Kind of. Most people go to college (although anyone can) and we leave school at sixteen. It can also be harder, depends what you do.
Quote by Craigo
That's a silly system. The UK system make it crystal clear on what you should be aiming for and get students to push themselves, and, without being cocky, from what I've seen, ours is at a higher standard, so it works out better.

yeah the UK system makes it pretty clear what to expect, not knowing what will come up is a real bugger, i guess i need to revise a bit more
Quote by Craigo

No doubt it's a silly system. I hold you're system to a much higher standard than our own.

Our educational system needs some changes.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by metallica92
yeah the UK system makes it pretty clear what to expect, not knowing what will come up is a real bugger, i guess i need to revise a bit more

You get out of school here at 18, heh.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by Wulphy
You get out of school here at 18, heh.
wait a second, so if i left aged 16, well nearly 16, i'd end up at a school or highschool or whatever you lot call it?
Pitmonkeys
I havent read all of your answers so what Im about to suggest may have been proposed already, I'm fairly sure that whatever exams you sit in the UK will be perfectly valid in the USA. I myself am in the middle of completing a Baccalaureat Generale in France and have been informed that this shall be enough to apply to a university in Dublin, Ireland, They'll merely take my score and apply a coefficient and extract their own score thus allowing them to assess my passage into university. I sincerely hope my advice has been of help to somebody.
Good Evening
BROCCOLIS
I ated them all.
Quote by metallica92
wait a second, so if i left aged 16, well nearly 16, i'd end up at a school or highschool or whatever you lot call it?

Yes, you'll be a sophomore or a junior.

EDIT: 10th or 11th Grade, 12th is your last year. You will have a good 1 or 2 years left of schooling here, unless you finish there and get a diploma.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
Pitmonkeys
I havent read all of your answers so what Im about to suggest may have been proposed already, I'm fairly sure that whatever exams you sit in the UK will be perfectly valid in the USA. I myself am in the middle of completing a Baccalaureat Generale in France and have been informed that this shall be enough to apply to a university in Dublin, Ireland, They'll merely take my score and apply a coefficient and extract their own score thus allowing them to assess my passage into university. I sincerely hope my advice has been of help to somebody.
Good Evening

thanks dude

oh and since I'd be at highschool that'd mean i wouldn't need to take any tests, just secure a place by applying right?
Quote by metallica92
thanks dude

oh and since I'd be at highschool that'd mean i wouldn't need to take any tests, just secure a place right?

Right.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Page 1 of 2