does anybody know any flamenco songs, that are cool or great, or maybe some chord progressions that i could use to help influence an instrumental i'm writing. Is it okay to mix in lets say a natural minor scale with a harmonic minor so i can get that latin/flamenco sound? Lets pretend the song is in the key of Am what progressions can i use? i was thinking of (Am-F-G-E) or (E-F-G-F) or maybe something like (Am-E-Am-E-F-E-F-E).

any ideas or recommendations are welcome.
thnx, in advanced.
not sure about the use of harmonic minor, but use the phyrigian mode a lot

as far as key's go, F minor has the name "key of passion", so try using that
I tend to use chords E, Em, Am, C and variations on D for flamenco chord progressions, and if I'm not mistaken the Phrygian mode is used. There is usually variations along the scale, usually on the 7th and 3rd of the scale. Try a wiki or google it, but at the end of the day flamenco was created with an extreme passion for music, and as long as you put that in, you're well on your way.

Try Paco d'Lucia for a flamenco artist, and there is a pretty cool guitar pro file of a belarusian flamenco on this site, by didula? or similar.
Last edited by Bonorly at Aug 16, 2008,
Quote by TeraBite
not sure about the use of harmonic minor, but use the phyrigian mode a lot

as far as key's go, F minor has the name "key of passion", so try using that

Phyrigian mode is definitely the way to go.
I'm actually interested in flamenco playing techniques. Anyone know of some good books, videos, websites, etc. that would be helpful?
well i use the phrygian scale of E (which is A aeolian) and i sometimes switch it to major and that makes it a harmonic A minor scale