Hey guys,
So I bought an epiphone masterbilt guitar a few months ago and in a few days ill be flying from boston to St. Louis to go to college. However, getting the guitar there is kind of a problem. I can check it, but I'm afraid it'll get banged around a lot. I also called the airline and they said that unless it's less than 35 inches, i can't bring it as a carry on.

I do have a fairly padded guitar case: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Road-Runner-Dreadnought-Guitar-Wood-Case-102549631-i1171642.gc.
But I'm still hesitant to check it. Anyone know whether it would be alright to check it or should I just get it delivered separately?
Get a hardshell. Most hardshell cases are built so you can throw it down three flights of stairs and your guitar will come out unscathed.

EDIT: Didn't even look at the link before.
But that should be just fine.
Last edited by foob85 at Aug 16, 2008,
Get a good hardshell case, and make sure you loosen your strings a lot, or take them off all together before you check it. If you don't there's a chance of the neck snapping from the increased pressure.
brnh.bandcamp.com
that's why they make cases in the first place. like the person before me said, if you dropped it off a building, i doubt the case would even break, let alone the guitar
Thanks for the quick responses. So the case I have should be fine then as long as I loosen the strings? I just want to make 100% sure because it's a new guitar and all.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
I transported mine in a Fender case that came with the guitar.
The airlines didn't mind.

Well I'm not worried about them being able to check it, more about the attendants throwing it every which way and possible damaging the guitar.
Quote by XyphR
that's why they make cases in the first place. like the person before me said, if you dropped it off a building, i doubt the case would even break, let alone the guitar

Watch the rock and roll acid test episode where they make a case that can take a 35 mph crash or something.

NOTHING HURTS BATMAN!

Quote by dannay
what this man says is correct.

Quote by clemm
WHAT IS THE PIT!?!?!!!!!!?!??
--clemm

n00b
Quote by boo54577
Well I'm not worried about them being able to check it, more about the attendants throwing it every which way and possible damaging the guitar.

You just have to tape it closed and wrap it in bubble wrap.