Page 1 of 2
1. So I bought it, and I'm not really sure what cab to buy. Any suggestions that don't sound too loud (budget=about the Swedish equivalent of 700 USD, can get some more if needed, or buy used). Music style? Isn't the name of the head enough - METAL
2. Anything I should think of the first time I play it? How long does it take to warm up the tubes etc? (This is my first tube amp)

Thanks
Tubes should be fully warm after a minute but give it at least 30 seconds.
Guitars:
Carvin DC145
Epiphone Explorer with Seymour Duncan JB and '59
Ibanez RGT42FXQM with Dimarzio Evo 2 and PAF Joe
Amp:
Carvin V3 2x12 combo with JJ 6L6GC tubes

Bass:
Ibanez SR300IPT
Amp:
Carvin BX600 2x10 half stack
Yea leave it a minute if it's the first time it's been turned on. Other than that, just plug in, play it loud and fiddle with the EQ.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
avatar cabs are good....generally they ll all be loud but if its TOO loud just get an attentuator(worry about that later imo). avatar cabs with celestions (preferably vintage 30s cause they re warm and middy and will make up for the harshness of the amp). they re really good priced just look em up

and then about warming it up...just turn on the on switch but keep the other switch on standby...this warms up the tubes but without the amp coming on....keep it on standby for 30 seconds at least and then turn it on...if u wanna play loud warm it up for 2-3 min

EASY
Marshall 1960BV

and

30 seconds - 1 minute for bedroom, longer for gigs
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
I wouldnt say get the Marshall cab, everyone overrates them to some extent.

Do you want a 412 or 212? For a 212 I recommend the same cab I picked after comparing many. The Genz Benz G-flex is seriously kick ass. Great bass response.

I wait about 2 or 3 minutes to warm mine up even if you onl have to really do 30 seconds. I feel like its really harsh when only give 30 seconds or so. It interesting how it sounds better the longer you play it.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
I suggest an orange 4x12 or 2x12 for less volume. Celestion V30's and looks amazing. Plus they're made of think wood and have acoustic coupling to the floor for increased bass responce and definition. The only downside of the 4x12 is the weight, it's definatly a two man job to carry. Great value for money and will suvive anything but a nuclear blast [even then i'd give it a chance] You can even get custom black orange cabs.... but that kinda defeats the object, even if they do look badass.

What the other guys said as far as warm up goes. And to be kind to your preamp tubes try not to crank the gain, treble or presence. Feel free to crank the post gain tho

Oh and the first few times wait a few seconds between turning the standby off and the power off.

VERY GOOD CHOICE OF FRIST AMP
Ibanez RGR08LTD
Spear Gladius [with BKP Nailbombs] (soon)

Peavey valve king 212
Orange 212 cab

Pedals of assorted typed
try avatar cabs like i said....they re great quality and come with any speaker u ask for...plus u can have any speaker AND choose what type u want 1x12, 2x12, 4x12 AND choose if u want a stereo or mono one and all for a good price
Quote by georgakis187
try avatar cabs like i said....they re great quality and come with any speaker u ask for...plus u can have any speaker AND choose what type u want 1x12, 2x12, 4x12 AND choose if u want a stereo or mono one and all for a good price

avatar cabs are hard to get in europe and they are more expensive to since we have 25% tax here in sweden.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
if you want something with more of a bottom end, check out vader cabs, they have a european website now
Quote by Dopey_Trout
Marshall 1960BV

and

30 seconds - 1 minute for bedroom, longer for gigs

I'd personally go for the AV- the angled cab allows te air to be pushed upwards towards your ears) meaning the sound is much fuller.
but yeah, the AV/BV series is far superior for metal over the commonly suggested A/B
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
I'd personally go for the AV- the angled cab allows te air to be pushed upwards towards your ears) meaning the sound is much fuller.
but yeah, the AV/BV series is far superior for metal over the commonly suggested A/B

+9999
That, or the AC/BC.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Seriously for V30's and bottom end it's orange all the way. They sound amazing and the 13ply and skid pads on the bottom means tons of low end!!!!
mid price too, IMO you can't loose
Ibanez RGR08LTD
Spear Gladius [with BKP Nailbombs] (soon)

Peavey valve king 212
Orange 212 cab

Pedals of assorted typed
Quote by _xo_
Seriously for V30's and bottom end it's orange all the way. They sound amazing and the 13ply and skid pads on the bottom means tons of low end!!!!
mid price too, IMO you can't loose

I'd second this if orange cabs didn't cost an arm and a leg. They're really good, but we get raped on price over here.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

What exactly do you mean by bottom end? I want a kind of a bright tone, so that the palm mutes sound insane

And most of those amps are VERY hard to find in Sweden, like HelsinkiVampire said. And ordering is not an option I guess, since I wanna try them first.
So, I've read other threads about this matter, and the majority say Celestion, I've found Ashdown Fallen Angel (isn't it?) pretty cheap from a store (it is a demo sample). What about that one? Link then type "Ashdown" in the search box to the left. The one I'm talking about is the top one. It has Celestions right?

I have looked for Avatar and Vadar, but can't find them anywhere in Sweden.
Last edited by VikingMetalhead at Aug 25, 2008,
id recommend marshall 1960a or b cab...dont get vintage 30s there very trebley and middy...the head is a very bright head meaning you want a darker cab to even it out....

in flames use a 5150 and marshall 1960b cabs set up for there rigs
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
I've heard some 5150's with vintage 30's and people that swear by it. Vadar cabs are the best ive heard with any sort of high gain amps. But they aren't readily available so a lot of people don't get them.
Today I went to try the cab I mentioned and it sounded good. It was an angled Ashdown 4x12 cab with Celestion 50 w G(input something here). So it's gotta be Classic series or Heritage... probably Classic series. What do you think of my choice? I tried it with a 6505 with pre-gain on 10 and post-gain on 2 (yeah they had an isolated room lol) and it sounded pretty good.
Quote by numbfinger
dont get vintage 30s there very trebley and middy...the head is a very bright head meaning you want a darker cab to even it out....

They've got a lot of mids yes, but they're also very aggressive sounding which is great for metal.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Quote by Yngwi3

yeah just make sure you said metal not everything else, i've heard vintage 30's can be wretched for non metal users
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by VikingMetalhead
Today I went to try the cab I mentioned and it sounded good. It was an angled Ashdown 4x12 cab with Celestion 50 w G(input something here).

if those are the same 50 watt celestions i'm thinkin of (the same ones that come in marshall avt cabs) they are garbage. i would definately suggest either the vintage 30's or g12k75's....
imo i prefer G12-75 over Vintage 30. More versatile and better speaker voicing for me, and i play hi gain prog/prog death metal, sue me
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by acdclandon
yeah just make sure you said metal not everything else, i've heard vintage 30's can be wretched for non metal users

I did...
Quote by kayman121
imo i prefer G12-75 over Vintage 30. More versatile and better speaker voicing for me, sue me

Each to their own
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Quote by gordy420
if those are the same 50 watt celestions i'm thinkin of (the same ones that come in marshall avt cabs) they are garbage. i would definately suggest either the vintage 30's or g12k75's....

Just found out that the Celestions in the Marshall AVT cab are G-1265. I'll call the store on monday and see what celestions exactly they were. After doing some research on celestion.com I've found out that it could be Celestion Gold (which I doubt), but I guess those aren't all of their loudspeakers from all time.
Depending on your guitar don't get V30's for the 6505. For example, my Charvel is mid heavy, going into a mid heavy amp, with a mid heavy speaker. It sounds like mush.

Apparently the G12k-100's are nice for 6505's but I won't know until I get the Orange cab next year.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by numbfinger
id recommend marshall 1960a or b cab...dont get vintage 30s there very trebley and middy...the head is a very bright head meaning you want a darker cab to even it out....

in flames use a 5150 and marshall 1960b cabs set up for there rigs

I wouldn't.

When I used my 1960 with my 5150 I hated it. It sounded horrible with the G12T-75s, V30s + 5150 = Win.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I wouldn't.

When I used my 1960 with my 5150 I hated it. It sounded horrible with the G12T-75s, V30s + 5150 = Win.

Sometimes

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
I also prefer G12k75's over v30's, I had the choice when I picked up my cab and went with the G12 voicing over the V30's, my rhythm guitarist is also playing an Orange cab with v30's with his dual and it sounds excellent, but with my JSX the g12's sound better.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
Quote by jambi_mantra
Sometimes

I've tried 5150s with all types of speaker combinations. V12 Legends, Texas Heats, V30s, G12T-75s, Greenbacks, Sheffields, CL80s, EVM-12Ls, etc. It always sounded best (imo) with V30s, Legends were a close second, but to each their own
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
If you can get an Orange Cab or a Mesa Cab, I'd do it. Otherwise, the Marshall 1960 AV cab.
Found a used Marshall 1960a cab, with original speakers (G12T-75). Should I go for it instead? I mean, you were talking about v30s but this one's got the above mentioned ones...

By the way thanks for all the replies!
Quote by VikingMetalhead
Found a used Marshall 1960a cab, with original speakers (G12T-75). Should I go for it instead? I mean, you were talking about v30s but this one's got the above mentioned ones...

By the way thanks for all the replies!

I'd definitely try it out first. I didn't like my 1960 with my 5150 at all.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Yea it's always worth trying it out. If you like it, and honestly like it, not just the honeymoon period of liking it, then get it.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
5150 + G1275 is terrible. its too fizzy. It might be good if you want terrible tone as used often in bands like queens of the stone age and such, but for 'normal music'? Nah

That amp sounds UBERGREAT with greenbacks though. V30 is good, V60 is great also.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Ok then, I know what the Queens of the Stoneage-guitar sounds like...uuuh...don't want that.

But when you guys talked about Marshall 1960 with v30s, you meant that the v30s were put in after original purchase? Because they are not the original ones right?
Damn it's so hard choosing cabs! I think I'm going for that Ashdown and if I don't like it after a week I will either return it or possibly change loudspeakers to v30 since those seem to be like the ultimate loudspeakers for 6505. Because it's all about the loudspeakers isn't it?
Page 1 of 2