So right now it is sitting in the garage with paint remover on it. After I take the remover off Ill start taking pics and document the process, and of course put them up here.

For now however, I am curious as to what my next step should be. I think my final product will be a guitar that has a painted top, the design will be looping stripes starting in the bottom corner in a dark blue color and transitioning through a range of colors until it gets to the horn where itll be yellow, and I am planning on leaving the back and sides unpainted, and maybe even leaving some open spots on the top as well.

So, if this is what I want for a final product, what should my inbetween steps be? After I take the remover off what is the best next step? I will obviously sand it nicely, but should I go right into painting, or should I but some stain or sealer or something on? And then any tips for painting? I will probably hand paint it with acrylics. Will this be possible to sand so its a smooth clear coat?

Any help would be great, I am excited for this to turn out nice.
Quote by SilentCivilian8
Definatly put on a sealer, and or a stain if u want one.

Ok. First, ya I think I want to stain it so the wood that shows through is a little more dramatic. What exactly is the point of a sealer though? If I am going to clear coat it all, what purpose does it serve? (not arguing, just want to understand) And also, the stain I bought said that it seals, but its not a sealer obviously, would this be effective enough?
Quote by Ippon
^^ I'm impressed that you jumped into stripping the paint before you've figured out the next steps. TBH, read up on some refinishing tutorials and get yourself comfortable with the whys and hows.

Check out page 1, post 1 of the Refinishing sticky: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=542726

Well, I am on a bit of a time crunch cause my new amp comes soon and I want to play it, but also I am moving back to school soon, so its easier to finish it all at my parents'.

Really though, I have done a lot of reading already, and for the hand painting/leaving some wood showing, there are a lot of different ways to go about it, and many conflicting opinions, so I just left my plan really open when posting it as a question. If I had to continue on without any help I would be able to easily though.
Quote by bigtee212
... I think my final product will be a guitar that has a painted top, the design will be looping stripes starting in the bottom corner in a dark blue color and transitioning through a range of colors until it gets to the horn where itll be yellow, and I am planning on leaving the back and sides unpainted, and maybe even leaving some open spots on the top as well.

So, if this is what I want for a final product, what should my inbetween steps be? After I take the remover off what is the best next step? I will obviously sand it nicely, but should I go right into painting, or should I but some stain or sealer or something on? And then any tips for painting? I will probably hand paint it with acrylics. Will this be possible to sand so its a smooth clear coat?

Any help would be great, I am excited for this to turn out nice.

TBH, I'd probably make a stencil using masking tape ... as in cover the front with tape, draw the stripes/design that you want.

Then I'd use Acrylic Lacquer in a spraycan to shoot the Yellow first, shoot the next color (Orange? Red?) so it'll blend nicely. Blue would be the last.

When cutting the stencil on the guitar, make sure to do it in 2 o3 passes ... don't do it in one. You could easily cut through the wood! Patience is key.

After about an hour or 2, remove the tape in a 45 degree angle.

Then wetsand with 2000 grit that you soaked overnight. Do the edges very gently. The goal is to keep it flat, as in you can't feel the demarcation line from the stripes to the wood.

Then spray clear, etc. After 3-4 weeks, buff/polish.

Hope that made sense. Good Luck!