Page 1 of 2
A few weeks ago I tired out an ENGL Screamer combo which I thought was pretty damn sweet, but rather than doing a whole, eggs in one basket type thing, I wanted to venture other options of similar amps.

Requirements need to be no more than 50 watts, high distortion, and not a 2x12, I can't justify the size at this moment in time and with lugging it around a lot, I can't be doing with going up and down flights of stairs carry more than my own body weight of amplifier that is two powerful for what I need anyway...

And I say not Laney because A) It's already been suggested, and B) I really need to try before I buy, and the main suggestions are discontinued models, or ones that aren't stocked within at least 2 hours of where I live.
Funny words.
i'm not sure to be honest. something like a valveking or a randall rg50tc, maybe, but be aware that (in my opinion anyway) the screamer is vastly superior.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
bugera?
peavey 5150?
line6 flextone?!!?!

(yes i know squat about high gain amps)
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
bugera?
peavey 5150?
line6 flextone?!!?!

(yes i know squat about high gain amps)

That's a 60 watt 2x12 so everything he didn't want.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
60 watts is hardly tons louder than 50 and he could get the head and an avatar 112 if he wants to be that picky
Tooshay.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
60 watts is hardly tons louder than 50 and he could get the head and an avatar 112 if he wants to be that picky

+1
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
The head is 120w (the 5150).
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo

120 watt speaker?
Quote by Horlicks
120 watt speaker?

Pull 2 t00bs.
vintage 30.
problem solved.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
go used and get a marshall jcm900 combo....50/100w selector switch and its 1x12....look for the 4101 model

i was gonna get a screamer but then i came across a jcm900 loaded with jj el34s for 450....needless to say i took it
Quote by aznrockerdude
The head is 120w (the 5150).

Bugger. I didn't see that coming.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by kool98769
Pull 2 t00bs.
vintage 30.
problem solved.

V30 is rated like 25W or something silly

it wasnt a real solution, as i said, i was stabbing in the dark with high gain amps
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
V30 is rated like 25W or something silly

it wasnt a real solution, as i said, i was stabbing in the dark with high gain amps

Fail
ah, i was thinking of a greenbak

DUH

the argument still stands >_>

EDIT: ^ youre ugly...but i can learn
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'm not sure to be honest. something like a valveking or a randall rg50tc, maybe, but be aware that (in my opinion anyway) the screamer is vastly superior.

Tried the Randall before, wasn't *hugely* impressed and I actually own a Valveking, I'm less than thrilled with that...

And by cheaper, I basically mean any price up to £750ish, so basically, an alternative to the Screamer that doesn't cost more would have been appropriate to say I guess.
Funny words.
<3 my Screamer 50

There isn't anything like it, under the price of the screamer, that I've played. Especially when you want 50 watts and a 1x12.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Quote by thefrigginbob
<3 my Screamer 50

There isn't anything like it, under the price of the screamer, that I've played. Especially when you want 50 watts and a 1x12.

Ahh, someone who owns one! Mind if I quiz you on it?

When I was trying it out, I wasn't really able to "push" it, what's it like at higher volumes, and, within the boundaries of the sound not going mushy, what is the highest gain setting like? Ie, compared to a current artist.

And I notice you have a TS-9, isn't it high-gain enough? Or do you just use it for tightening up the sound?

Cheers!
Funny words.
Quote by I_Am_Iron_Man
Ahh, someone who owns one! Mind if I quiz you on it?

When I was trying it out, I wasn't really able to "push" it, what's it like at higher volumes, and, within the boundaries of the sound not going mushy, what is the highest gain setting like? Ie, compared to a current artist.

And I notice you have a TS-9, isn't it high-gain enough? Or do you just use it for tightening up the sound?

Cheers!

I don't mind at all. I'm always happy to help the best I can.

It pushes really well, it really only sounds better and better the higher you turn it up. I live in a fairly chill neighborhood but I still don't push it past 5 very much.

The high gain setting is really sweet, it handles high gain well but it remains clear. It's hard to compare to modern artists because I don't listen to a ton of them but it does Dethklok and COB without a problem. I never tried to play something but wasn't able to because of the amount of gain, if that says anything.

I use the TS-9 to tighten up the sound(sounds so much better, its a must in my opinion) also it is nice to push the crunch channel. There seems to be a bit of a gain gap between crunch and soft lead.

I hope I was able to help, feel free to ask me anything else that comes to mind.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Quote by thefrigginbob
I don't mind at all. I'm always happy to help the best I can.

It pushes really well, it really only sounds better and better the higher you turn it up. I live in a fairly chill neighborhood but I still don't push it past 5 very much.

The high gain setting is really sweet, it handles high gain well but it remains clear. It's hard to compare to modern artists because I don't listen to a ton of them but it does Dethklok and COB without a problem. I never tried to play something but wasn't able to because of the amount of gain, if that says anything.

I use the TS-9 to tighten up the sound(sounds so much better, its a must in my opinion) also it is nice to push the crunch channel. There seems to be a bit of a gain gap between crunch and soft lead.

I hope I was able to help, feel free to ask me anything else that comes to mind.

Thanks man that's a great deal of help actually.

One more question, I've been so used to gigging with a 2x12, does the ENGL still push out a decent amount despite being a 1x12?
Funny words.
Quote by I_Am_Iron_Man
Tried the Randall before, wasn't *hugely* impressed and I actually own a Valveking, I'm less than thrilled with that...

And by cheaper, I basically mean any price up to £750ish, so basically, an alternative to the Screamer that doesn't cost more would have been appropriate to say I guess.

oh, ok. yeah, if you already have the VK, obviously another one isn't the answer (!), and a randall probably isn't enough of an upgrade (if it even is an upgrade) to justify its expense.

if you're willing to buy from germany, you might get the screamer slightly cheaper, though the pound has fallen against the euro in the last while so it's not as good as it used to be. a koch twintone might be worth a try, but i haven't tried it (i liked the multitone, but it's over budget).

a marshall jvm would be worth a try too, i guess. i think the 1x12 combo might be around the screamer's price.

problem is, around the £800 mark is a funny amount of money, it's sort of semi-pro... save a bit more and you can get some really kickass amps... if you can't stretch, there aren't all that many options- the screamer, laney tt (which you can't find to try), koch, marshall jvm... that's about it, for versatility and high gain.

there's probably something really obvious which i'm missing, lol. i guess you could try a peavey xxx combo, but they might be hard to find here (and they're quite expensive, being made in america).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by I_Am_Iron_Man
Thanks man that's a great deal of help actually.

One more question, I've been so used to gigging with a 2x12, does the ENGL still push out a decent amount despite being a 1x12?

Thats one thing I can't totally help you on. I am not experienced with loads of different speaker combinations like some of the folks on here. I will say that I think it sound very powerful for a 1x12, loads of bass and it remains clear. I would say a 2x12 would sound a little clearer if you are pushing tons of volume out of it. The neat thing about the Screamer is the stock speaker is not hard wired in(the speaker cable ends with a 1/4" plug) and there are quite a few output options. So if you decide later you want to add a cab it will be able to handle it without having to go in and mod things.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
I tried a Screamer last week and wish I could have cranked it abit more, I've been looking around for a LONG time and I haven't found anything as good as that. Hopefully I'll be getting one soon in a part exchange for my Orange.
Quote by thefrigginbob
Thats one thing I can't totally help you on. I am not experienced with loads of different speaker combinations like some of the folks on here. I will say that I think it sound very powerful for a 1x12, loads of bass and it remains clear. I would say a 2x12 would sound a little clearer if you are pushing tons of volume out of it. The neat thing about the Screamer is the stock speaker is not hard wired in(the speaker cable ends with a 1/4" plug) and there are quite a few output options. So if you decide later you want to add a cab it will be able to handle it without having to go in and mod things.

Ahh no worries, it sounded pretty powerful when I tried it, but I didn't have the chance to push it to see if it still remained clear at higher volume, I've found with some 1x12's that I got a lot of problem's with the speaker's when I really cranked it...

To Dave_Mc, all those suggestions sound great, I was listening to video demo's of a XXX and that sounded great. As far as the JVM goes, I've had a go with both the head and 2x12, both of which reminded me too much of the TSL...
Funny words.
Oh, another thing, and a shameless bump all at once really. I've heard from some that they find the tone of the Screamer to be a bit, "sterile", even when cranked, has anyone else experienced this?
Funny words.
i don't think the screamer sounds sterile, but i could understand that some people might, if that makes sense. xxx is another one that some people claim sounds sterile. it just really depends on the tone you're after.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by acdcrocks0323
I would really suggest a Mesa F-30 if you weren't in the UK. Maybe buy one in the US and ship it over there and still be cheaper?

Customs and tax and stuff would probably work out a LOT more expensive...Besides, no way of trying one out...
Funny words.
Quote by I_Am_Iron_Man
Well in store I've seen them go for £750, and taking into account heckling, part exchanging, worrying about postage and packaging from Thomann AND the fact that they used to be less than £500 on Thomann, not really problem solved..

yeah, the pound has fallen against the euro recently, thomann isn't as good value as it used to be...

postage is free from thomann, but you'd have to get another kettle lead, and you're saving about £20. not worth it, if you ask me, if you buy from a local store you have more peace of mind etc.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Engl thunder combos are pretty common now. Also, the new Cornford roadhouse range have a 30 watt 1x12 combo that looks awesome. That runs for £750.

Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by I_Am_Iron_Man
Well in store I've seen them go for £750, and taking into account heckling, part exchanging, worrying about postage and packaging from Thomann AND the fact that they used to be less than £500 on Thomann, not really problem solved..

Well you said that you're willing to spend up to 750 on an amp...My view is why spend less money on an amp that you don't really want when you can afford the one you DO want. Plus i'm pretty sure Thomann ship for free if the order is over something like £100.... And you could always wait a while until the pound strengthens again
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Quote by Bossman123
Well you said that you're willing to spend up to 750 on an amp...My view is why spend less money on an amp that you don't really want when you can afford the one you DO want. Plus i'm pretty sure Thomann ship for free if the order is over something like £100.... And you could always wait a while until the pound strengthens again

Pardon my ignorance with the economy...But is that even a certainty to happen anytime soon?
Funny words.
Quote by Dave_Mc
if you're willing to buy from germany, you might get the screamer slightly cheaper, though the pound has fallen against the euro in the last while so it's not as good as it used to be. a koch twintone might be worth a try, but i haven't tried it (i liked the multitone, but it's over budget).

... Have Koch gone down in price to £750-ish? (No sarcasm.. haven't checked them in ages...) If they are I've got a LOT of thinking to do about this money situation and have to wonder "Is food really THAT important?"

If you can get the Twintone for that price I'd do it... I actually prefer it to the multi.

If not I dunno what to suggest really I haven't played an amp with a proper overdrive channel in about a year. I'm so out of the loop these days... Damn degrees.. Get in the way of everything..

EDIT:
Quote by I_Am_Iron_Man
Pardon my ignorance with the economy...But is that even a certainty to happen anytime soon?

The great thing about currency is it always oscillates (or at least if the past is anything to go by.) It is the best thing to invest in if you consider the risks.. But it might just take a while.. I vaguely remember somebody saying they considered a load of statistic-y things and deduced that we should be out of recession by 2010 and should then gain strength even more.. quite rapidly... But take that as you will; you never know.

Oh and this assumption ignores variables such as people like Mugabe getting into power and other such things that make any statistical prediction worthless. =P

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Last edited by power freak at Aug 18, 2008,
Quote by power freak
EDIT:

The great thing about currency is it always oscillates (or at least if the past is anything to go by.) It is the best thing to invest in if you consider the risks.. But it might just take a while.. I vaguely remember somebody saying they considered a load of statistic-y things and deduced that we should be out of recession by 2010 and should then gain strength even more.. quite rapidly... But take that as you will; you never know.

Oh and this assumption ignores variables such as people like Mugabe getting into power and other such things that make any statistical prediction worthless. =P

Ahhh...Well again, my ignorance in this field comes up, I'm assuming we're talking years as opposed to months?
Funny words.
I'd honestly just get it man. You'll be glad you paid for it now and not needing to pay more for a quality amp later.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Page 1 of 2