i saved up for a while to get a guitar, and i finally did about 2 months ago. but pretty much as soon as i did, my mom got in a car accident, and is currently not working, and she says she cant afford lessons for me! i tried looking on line for lessons, never found anything good, and i tried some youtube videos and they didn't help much either. i wanted to get really good and play songs like stairway to heaven, sweet child o mine, cliffs of dover, etc, but i don't think thats going to happen anymore.

so anyone know any GOOD lessons that can help me? ANY AND ALL responces would help greatly!

EDIT: i have tried to teach myself but have no idea where to start =\
Last edited by iwannarawk at Aug 16, 2008,
There are lessons here on UG.

On YouTube, check out Dave Weiner's Riff of the Week series.
There are very many decent lessons on the web, but you have to look for them. Youtube is a fantastic resource. The songs you listed are good, but your not going to be able to learn them on your first try. Listening (Or Reading) a lesson on one of those songs would seem like a foreign language. You need to start with the basics. Chords, maybe a few scales, just so you know your way a round the fretboard a bit.

Lastly, if you need any help at all finding some lessons, feel free to PM me, and I'll shoot 'em over to you.

Hope this helps!
Gear:

Guitars
Martin DSR
Taylor 214e
Fender Strat
Epiphone 335 Dot
Carlo Robelli Acoustic

Amps+Effects
1978 Fender Pro Reverb
Boss Blues Driver
Boss Super Overdrive
EHX Holy Grail
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
Umm you can learn thoes online, I've been learning Cliffs of Dover online.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
forgot to add something to post.. oh well ill edit it in...

i tried to teach myself but i get frustrated because i have to idea where to start =\
try justinguitar.com, as said above, guitar 4 dummies and theres alot of good lessons on UG
+1 to JustinGuitar.com
Awesome beginner resources.

Also, +1 to youtube. Just search "lesson guitar" without the quotes and you'll get a few thousand vids.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by Garou1911
+1 to JustinGuitar.com
Awesome beginner resources.

Also, +1 to youtube. Just search "lesson guitar" without the quotes and you'll get a few thousand vids.

Listen to this guy,he speaks the truth! There are alot of good lessons in youtube and justinguitar.com

Also save a around like $20-30 get the Hal Leonard Guitar Method theyre pretty good
~Vince~
Fender MIM Telecaster ('06) [Modded]
PRS S2 Custom 24 ('13) [Modded]
Squier Affinity Fat Strat [Modded]
Yamaha F310

Mesa/Boogie Lonestar 1x12 Combo
Mesa/Boogie Mark V:25

SD Vapor Trail
Xotic SL Drive
Xotic BB Preamp
Boss BD-2
Boss DS-1 [MonteAllums]
MXR 10-Band EQ
Get a paper round, what i do is get £20 a week from a paper round and me and my mate do joint lessons for the price of one. We go halves on the money
Its going to take time. Just know that. Even with lessons, ITS GOING TO TAKE TIME.

Not days, or weeks. MONTHS. YEARS.

There is TONS of stuff on the net. youtube is more than enough to get you up and running. theres justinguitar.com, cyberfret.com, discoverguitaronline.com, various beginner books etc.

Youtube will probably get you up and running faster than an instructor. I went to instructor for 3 months and everything he showed me, I pretty much knew already from stuff I learned online. I just needed to practice more.

My advice. Goto www.justinguitar.com and start at the very begining of his lessons. Do them diligently. YOU WILL SUCK AT FIRST. IT WILL BE HARD AT FIRST. Stick with it if you are really serious. Combine justins site with youtube vids and that should hold you for the next year. Seriously.

*Oh, and try to donate to justin. He's a good dude.
+1000 on Justinguitar.com!
That website has taught me much of my guitars skills in the beginning. Hey man we all know whats it's like to be broke but cut your mom some slack man, she did get into a car accident, just thank your lucky bloody stars that she is still alive and recovering. The internet is a great resource if you have the dedication to your guitar playing, because it is going to take a long time before you can play the songs listed. Everything in time, start slow and easy and you'll get there.
Now go tell your mom you love her.

Rudeboy out!
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
Last edited by SkaJon at Aug 17, 2008,
Quote by SkaJon
+1000 on Justinguitar.com!
That website has taught me much of my guitars skills in the beginning. Hey man we all know whats it's like to be broke but cut your mom some slack man, she did get into a car accident, just thank your lucky bloody stars that she is still alive and recovering. The internet is a great resource if you have the dedication to your guitar playing, because it is going to take a long time before you can play the songs listed. Everything in time, start slow and easy and you'll get there.
Now go tell your mom you love her.

Rudeboy out!

What he said.

Watch lessons. Go on these websites. Ask questions here. Get a good program like GP or Power Tab. There are so many things you can do.
cliffs of dover and the other songs you listed take months to learn. even with a teacher you probably won't learn it for at least a year.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
don't be a loser, i'm all self taught.
and get some friends.
that helped me some too.
My Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Ebony)
Ibanez RR250
Squire Strat

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Line 6 Spider III 15