So I'm currently saving up for a guitar, and I have my eyes set on either a Jackson King V or a Jackson Kelly (the KE3s). I also am interested in the Randy Rhoads RR3 but I'd say I'm more interested in the King V and Kelly. In your opinion, if you've played any of these or own them, what do you have to say about these guitars and which one should I get? I also plan to play them at stores before I buy one of them.

Jackson Kelly KE3

Jackson King V (was planning on the KVX10 but decided to go save up for a better one, so I'm just using this for the link)

Jackson Rhoads RR3

I'm more of an intermediate player. I can play most metal riffs with work and some of the easier solos. I'm starting to get into some more complex stuff right now.
"Music is my religion." - Jimi Hendrix

Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
ESP LTD Alexi-600
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Other Gear:
Carvin V3 amp head
Marshall MG15DFX
Digitech RP250 pedal
Rr3.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Randy Rhoads.

Good standing stability AND you can sit with it better.
I don't even shred
the rr3 has a horrible bridge pickup though and the pickups arnt that good to begin with.
i would go with the kelly all the way.
Quote by caskettheclown
the rr3 has a horrible bridge pickup though and the pickups arnt that good to begin with.
i would go with the kelly all the way.

I'm sorry?

The RR3 and KE3 have the exact same pickups! And Seymour Duncan JB (b) / Jazz (n) are not bad pickups at all; in fact I'd say they are pretty damn good! (However, a tad unimaginative).

To TS, have you ever tried out any of those guitars? I've played the KE3 and own a RR3 myself, so I can tell you Jackson guitars are pretty decent. The KE3 did suffer a bit of neck dive when I played it, but apart from that it was an alright guitar. The KE3 has 24 frets as opposed to the RR3's 22 frets, and I personally find the shape more easier to sit down with, but the RR shape isn't hard to accomodate after a few hours.
i own a kelly, its not a ke-3 but its the predecesor to it. and its an awesome guitar. i cant really think of anything i dont like about it except the lic. floyed rose. and only then cuz i cant replace the whammy bar. my fr is an older model of the 580. so jackson doesnt even have the part. other than that its my go to first guitar for most of my playing.....old school metal-hard rock.
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
Ke 3

Best looking guitar on the market imho.
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
Quote by Mwoit
I'm sorry?

The RR3 and KE3 have the exact same pickups! And Seymour Duncan JB (b) / Jazz (n) are not bad pickups at all; in fact I'd say they are pretty damn good! (However, a tad unimaginative).

To TS, have you ever tried out any of those guitars? I've played the KE3 and own a RR3 myself, so I can tell you Jackson guitars are pretty decent. The KE3 did suffer a bit of neck dive when I played it, but apart from that it was an alright guitar. The KE3 has 24 frets as opposed to the RR3's 22 frets, and I personally find the shape more easier to sit down with, but the RR shape isn't hard to accomodate after a few hours.

i mightve just gotten an "off" rr3 because the pickups sound really bad but i still love the guitar.
again try the guitars but i would get the kelly if i could.
Quote by caskettheclown
i mightve just gotten an "off" rr3 because the pickups sound really bad but i still love the guitar.
again try the guitars but i would get the kelly if i could.

You may have a pre-2006 RR3; Jackson upgraded their Pro Line models with proper Seymour Duncans (instead of Duncan Designs) and reinforced their trems with a steel plate.

What amp do you have?
Thanks for the comments guys. I definitely wanna try out the Kelly now.

I'm looking for a guitar with 24 frets, so thats why the RR3 isnt that much of interest to me.

Guitars:
ESP LTD Alexi-600
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Other Gear:
Carvin V3 amp head
Marshall MG15DFX
Digitech RP250 pedal
ahhh then go for the kelly then.
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
I used to own a KE3, it was very nice, too heavy for me though since I'm a rather small guy. The higher fret access is a tad hard to reach because of the neck heel but I have small hands too so it could have just been me. I haven't played a King V but I have a friend who owns one and likes it alot. If it were up to me, I'd get the King V since it stands out more on stage, is lighter, and just appeals to me more.
They all kick ass. Your getting a Jackson, and that means your on the right track. I personally love V's, but get the one that fits your budget and has the pickup configuration you want. If I was going to buy another Jackson it would be a RR24, and that would work for you since you said you'd like a 24 fret neck. They're not cheap, 1200-1300 but you get all the good stuff, active EMG, neck-thru body, original Floyd etc... Sharkfin inlay necks forever!
Jackson King V
Jackson RR Pro
ESP Jeff Hanneman - EMG 81/85, neck-thru, original Floyd Rose, Slayer eagle inlays
Fender Stratocaster 1968 Reissue
Line 6 120W Spider III Combo
Crate p.o.s. 10W practice amp
DOD Death Metal FX-86B
Last edited by Terror-Zone at Aug 18, 2008,
Well, my LP (Epi LP Standard) is kind of heavy too. Would you say the Kelly is heavier than that or lighter?

Guitars:
ESP LTD Alexi-600
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Other Gear:
Carvin V3 amp head
Marshall MG15DFX
Digitech RP250 pedal
I haven't played an Epi LP, but I would guess they'd be around the same weight unless someone else can clear that up.
kelly kelly kelly
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
People say a Randy Rhoads is "impossible" to play sitting down. It's not, it's more comfortable than any Strat-style guitar I've ever played. You can use your legs to really hang on to it. I would imagine a King V is the same way.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it's so neck-heavy. It doesn't bother me when I'm playing or anything, but if you let go, the thing basically goes vertical. But, in general, there are more Jacksons in my future.
Quote by guitarist792
Well, my LP (Epi LP Standard) is kind of heavy too. Would you say the Kelly is heavier than that or lighter?

I think the Kelly is lighter than the LP because an LP is made of mahogany which gives it the rich tone but is also very heavy whereas the Kelly is alder
My metal is more br00t4lz than yours

Gear:
Squier Strat
ESP B-10 Bass
Peavey Backstage
whichever you like more of the kelly and rr3
Quote by Hpda5121
im not a racist because racism is a crime, and crime is for black people

fender mexican fat strat (discontinued)
mesa triple recto
digitech grunge
digitech death metal
king v
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
You can't go wrong with either, but I think the King V has a classier shape.
I can't speak for the King V or the KE3 (though I do think the KE3 is a good looking guitar), but the RR3 is a fine instrument, in my opinion. The fact that it only has 22 frets has never got in my way, though I must admit the heel has (it's a bolt on neck...I'm not sure what kind of necks the other guitars use). It's a fast player, and quite easy to sit with once you have the method down.

Also, +1 to whoever said you should go try out the guitars.
Oh yeah, I definitely will try these out.

Guitars:
ESP LTD Alexi-600
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Other Gear:
Carvin V3 amp head
Marshall MG15DFX
Digitech RP250 pedal
I own the pre 06 KE3 with the old trem and duncan design. From the old model i can say it is a tad heavy and dips on the neck. However the new model will have obviously improved on that. The kelly doesnt feel awkward at all and plays great. The pickups on the KE3 and RR3 are both awesome pickups. If you want a King V but the KV2 is too expensive (i wouldnt get any other king v from jackson other than the KV2) then you should look at the LTD V-500, it is basically Dave Mustaines old sig...without the dave mustaine name. Its string thru plays awesome (i have 2) the only thing i dislike is dual emg 81s, but if you like emgs then i highly recommend it. So overall you cant really go wrong with any of these guitars.