Hey all.

I have a few audition pieces I will be required to play on Tuesday, one of which is a piece where I will comp while the band improvises down the line until it gets to me. Then its my turn. The piece is in the key of "C", yet it tells you to use the Bb Blue Scale to improv. Of course, I can't just run around the scale, so what other tricks, licks, or ideas do you all have for adding some depth for the solo?
Quote by divinecrossfire

step 7: run out the door towards your buddy and turn off the lights, all whilst fapping furiously with one hand, doing the "princess diana wave" with the other, and screaming "THEN WE SHALL FIGHT IN THE DARK!!!!!"
If you post the names of the pieces, we might be able to give you help on a piece-by-piece basis.

However, in general, you can add depth and sophistication to your soloing by working on development of phrases or motifs, and following the key changes.

When you begin improvising, come up with a short phrase. It can only be a few notes, if you like. Then, work on developing this motif... you can change the beat you play it on, transpose the pitches, alter the rhythm in some way... the list goes on. As you extend and add to this motif, you might come up with a new motif that you can move on to. Building on ideas like this shows that you're not just running through scales, but working on building your material. You can still mix in free, non motivic playing to build excitement; an effective mix will help balance familiarity with excitement. Don't forget to leave some space for the listener to digest your playing! For a little more information on phrasing, you might want to check out the Scott Henderson video, "Melodic Phrasing".

As a side note, the idea that you should solo over a C piece using Bb Blues Scale is weird, and probably not right.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
The key signature is plain C, yet the chord progression is Bb7, Eb7, F, Bb7, D(h/d), G7, C, and F7. Odd reading, but whatever, Bb blues goes fine with it.

The piece is "Kenny'll Make It" by Jamey Aebersold, out of "Blues In All Keys".

Thanks for the aid.
Quote by divinecrossfire

step 7: run out the door towards your buddy and turn off the lights, all whilst fapping furiously with one hand, doing the "princess diana wave" with the other, and screaming "THEN WE SHALL FIGHT IN THE DARK!!!!!"
Thanks for the help. Anyone else?
Quote by divinecrossfire

ouchies is right, the first 4 chords are a i iv v i blues in Bb, so just solo over that bit with whatever you'd use to solo over a blues.

Dh/d (assuming that is half diminished) you can use diminished scale or arpeggio, locrian scale, G harmonic/melodic minor.

the next two chords are a V-i in C and I assume you know what to do there if you're auditioning for something like that.
My sig used to be so awesome it got me banned