Poll: which is better
Poll Options
View poll results: which is better
practice hard songs
22 61%
practice exercises
14 39%
Voters: 36.
I don't see what the difference is TBH. There are some extremely hard songs I know of that I can't play at all. So wouldn't getting better at the songs make me better then practicing exercises over and over? It seems like practicing songs would benefit me more but maybe I'm wrong?
well u wont really be able to play the extremely hard songs that u dont no if dont do exercises.
and if by exercises u also mean practice scales, then if u DO learn those very hard songs without exercises, u wont be able to solo cuz u wont no any scales.
unless u wanna completely copy the solo thats in the song, but i wudnt do that
so just do both
If you find something in a song difficult, then practice it. If you think about it, it pretty much is an exercise. For example, you find a certain chord progression difficult, and you cant quite switch the chords cleanly. The best way to learn that progression would be to practice it over and over, starting slowly and getting faster. Just like you would with an exercise.

Some songs can contain several techniques and exercises to help you get better, and its a lot more fun than grinding exercises. There is also some traits you gain only from challenging songs, such as stamina or endurance.

Just make sure you don't hinder your progress by focusing on all easy songs, if you're gonna learn to play guitar this way you always have to look for a challenge.
Quote by Hezix
If you find something in a song difficult, then practice it. If you think about it, it pretty much is an exercise. For example, you find a certain chord progression difficult, and you cant quite switch the chords cleanly. The best way to learn that progression would be to practice it over and over, starting slowly and getting faster. Just like you would with an exercise.

Some songs can contain several techniques and exercises to help you get better, and its a lot more fun than grinding exercises. There is also some traits you gain only from challenging songs, such as stamina or endurance.

Just make sure you don't hinder your progress by focusing on all easy songs, if you're gonna learn to play guitar this way you always have to look for a challenge.

Well I mostly listen to technical death metal/Progressive Metal so I don't think finding hard songs will be an issue. It's whether or not it's better then doing exercises.

And I don't think of scales as exercises so these don't count.
Quote by stratdud39
well u wont really be able to play the extremely hard songs that u dont no if dont do exercises.
and if by exercises u also mean practice scales, then if u DO learn those very hard songs without exercises, u wont be able to solo cuz u wont no any scales.
unless u wanna completely copy the solo thats in the song, but i wudnt do that
so just do both

I don't think it's quite so black and white. What ever happened to non scale solos, and originality?

And I think there should be a good balance of songs, and exercises. Both have different things that they help you with.
Quote by pressyre
I tend to do both. I like to switch things up so I don't get too bored.

Yea, both is a pretty good way to go. Helped me anyway
Quote by Gummy Balls
Who the hell posts that they made up a chord on a guitar forum? He should of just called this thread " flame the shit out me".

~Founder of the Pokemon Appreciation Club~
Well I haven't been learning any hard songs in a while, all I've been doing is scales, penatonic scales over and over, and then all of a sudden I could do loads of fast stuff.

So I'm not gonna vote because doing hard songs will improve you, but exercises will set you up to learn even more advanced songs, and help you get into improv.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by I am wet
I've been doing scales, penatonic scales over and over, and then all of a sudden I could do loads of fast stuff.

That's exactly what happened with me
Quote by Gummy Balls
Who the hell posts that they made up a chord on a guitar forum? He should of just called this thread " flame the shit out me".

~Founder of the Pokemon Appreciation Club~
Quote by I am wet
Well I haven't been learning any hard songs in a while, all I've been doing is scales, penatonic scales over and over, and then all of a sudden I could do loads of fast stuff.

So I'm not gonna vote because doing hard songs will improve you, but exercises will set you up to learn even more advanced songs, and help you get into improv.

That what happened when I practiced some of the speed lives exercises

I guess I'll continue doing both