Hi I've been looking to buy an electric guitar for some time now after playing acoustic for 7 months.

I've been looking on Ebay lately to try to get a deal on a PRS SE or either a Epi LP or SG but I don't know much about electric guitars so I was hoping for a little help. I want to play classic rock, rock, and punk rock. But any little bit of help is awesome so thanks for reading.
ALLWAYS choose a PRS over a epi! /thread
Quote by ealtdharkon
Sorry to break this to you, but you "hardcore" fans don't HAVE mosh pits.
You have epileptic line dancing.

Quote by NotTheSun3290
Well... I AM a virgin, afterall...
Naaa i would say an epiphone.

they are seriously good if you spend about £300 on one.

a PRS of the same price are just a bit.... meh.

Its like, you own a PRS but its just not a PRS.

a Les Paul custom is also pretty damn versatile.
Gear:

Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Fender Telecaster USA
Epiphone Les Paul
Epiphone Sheraton
Jackson KE3 Kelly Pro
Boss Super Chorus
Boss Super Overdrive
MXR Carbon Copy
Morley Pro Series Wah/Volume/Distortion
t.bone wireless system.
i played the PRS Single cut (one of the cheaper ones not sure on model) and the Epiphone Prophecy SG (black with EMGs) was wayyyyyy better. the PRS just didnt feel right, its hard to explain.

Id go with Epi hands down (if youve got more than 600 bucks)
I would only get a PRS if your going to spend over £500 seriously. so really it depends on your bank balance.
Gear:

Fender Telecaster USA
Epiphone Les Paul
Epiphone Sheraton
Jackson KE3 Kelly Pro
Boss Super Chorus
Boss Super Overdrive
MXR Carbon Copy
t.bone wireless system.
Get a good tube amp and a Yamaha Pacifica.
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
or not...
Gear:

Fender Telecaster USA
Epiphone Les Paul
Epiphone Sheraton
Jackson KE3 Kelly Pro
Boss Super Chorus
Boss Super Overdrive
MXR Carbon Copy
t.bone wireless system.
Please. The PRS Custom SE's are nothing compared to an Epiphone. If this was between a Les Paul and a PRS Custom 22, you take the PRS. But the Custom SE's really suck. I wanted to get one so I tried it at GC and it felt like I was playing a Walmart guitar.
Ok thanks I want to spend no more than $400 so I would have to get a preeetty good deal on a PRS to get one for under 400 and then I would still need to buy an amp. But I love the look of LP's especially the white ones but the SE custom looks sweet too
PLEEEEEAASSEE get the epiphone. please. it would make me happy
Gear:

Fender Telecaster USA
Epiphone Les Paul
Epiphone Sheraton
Jackson KE3 Kelly Pro
Boss Super Chorus
Boss Super Overdrive
MXR Carbon Copy
t.bone wireless system.
When searching for my new guitar recently, I had the same budget as you, only a little higher. I played a million guitars, including a PRS SE Custom, SE Tremonti, Epiphone G400, Epiphone Les Paul Std, Fender HSS Standard Strat, a couple Shecters, and an Epiphone Dot. I liked all of them, but I thought that the PRS SE's were severely overpriced, not something I'd dream of spending $600 on. I went with the Dot ultimately, and it does classic and punk rock just fine. It's tonally similar to the LP Std, but I liked the more full-bodied clean tones I got from the semihollow Dot. I'd say try a lot of different guitars. From every spectrum... erase an preconcieved notions you may have had previously and just play them all. One will stand out as the one you want.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
MortifiedLizard, thanks for the advice on trying and buying. What did you personally think of the G-400 and the HSS strat?
looks like i failed =/ my only experience is with the same one Mikael Åkerfeldt uses (custom 22 or 24 or sum? ) but i guess the epi will work out good then ^_^

(pls dont hunt me down n kill me)
Quote by ealtdharkon

Quote by NotTheSun3290
for liking Opeth... you are let off
Gear:

Fender Telecaster USA
Epiphone Les Paul
Epiphone Sheraton
Jackson KE3 Kelly Pro
Boss Super Chorus
Boss Super Overdrive
MXR Carbon Copy
t.bone wireless system.
Quote by KDReed12
MortifiedLizard, thanks for the advice on trying and buying. What did you personally think of the G-400 and the HSS strat?

An Epiphone G400 is a decent model for starters and intermediates alike; decent specs and can be upgraded in the future.

HSS Strat is a bit vague; I'm assuming you're talking about a MIM (Made In Mexico) Fender Fat Strat? If so, they are decent guitars but quality control is a tad sketchy; I would get one in store if I could.
lower end PRS models, in my opinions, aren't worth it
but then again, if you are gonna buy online (which i don't recommend), i wouldn't suggest epiphone
their quality control is not that great according to my experience...

play some epis yourself. if you find a good one their mid-price range guitars are excellent
yeah I meant the MIM fat strat sorry but thanks I need to take a trip to GC and try some models out
MIM HSS standard strats are great instruments with a lot of versatility
they also have high upgrade potentials

the thing is, you have to get the one that's made right. like the other guy said, MIM QC are not that great these days
If you find a good one at GC, get it
Quote by tilinmyowngrave
for liking Opeth... you are let off

If i say i just got a big opeth tattoo over half my back, will u give me a BJ?
Quote by ealtdharkon

Quote by NotTheSun3290
Quote by KDReed12

I didn't like the G-400 a whole lot, the neck joint scared me half to death, like it would pop out if I wasn't super careful... granted it was probably just in my head. If you are able to upgrade the tuners, you'd have a decent axe. The MIM Strat was also a very decent guitar, my favorite thing about it was the neck... I also like that when you had it in position 2 the humbucker was split, so you still get all the classic Strat tones.. the humbucker by itself wasn't very good, it had a shrill, tinny quality to it. Again, easily upgradeable, you can get a good GFS in there and it would cost around $40.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by magvol
If i say i just got a big opeth tattoo over half my back, will u give me a BJ?

yes... i will give you three
Gear:

Fender Telecaster USA
Epiphone Les Paul
Epiphone Sheraton
Jackson KE3 Kelly Pro
Boss Super Chorus
Boss Super Overdrive
MXR Carbon Copy
t.bone wireless system.
Quote by tilinmyowngrave
yes... i will give you three

then hand em over pwis!
Quote by ealtdharkon

Quote by NotTheSun3290
tbh, I love my Epi LP standard. I really scored with it. IMO Epi's aren't very consistent. The average SE is better than the Average Epi of the same price, but some Epi's hit gold.

Short verdict: I love em both, but try before you buy.