So about five or six months ago I started taking classical guitar lessons and lately I have noticed that my whole left arm gets tired before I'm even finished with warm-up exercises. My teacher gave me this octave study to warm up with first thing before I'm about to play. Last week I told him I could only play the scale up and down about three times before I had to stop and take a break. He pointed out to me that my left elbow wasn't relaxed and he helped me fix this. Well this problem IS fixed (he assured me) but today I tried the exercise again and after the third time, my left arm was tired.

So I ask you UG, is there anything else that I could be doing wrong that could cause such an unnecessary strain? Or is it just because I am a beginner at classical guitar?

I should add that this does NOT happen when I play electric guitar.
Only your left arm? Weird. I dunno, I find that I have unnecessary strain on my shoulder sometimes, could that be it? Is it your whole arm, or just your wrist?
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
Quote by SchecterC-1+Man
Only your left arm? Weird. I dunno, I find that I have unnecessary strain on my shoulder sometimes, could that be it? Is it your whole arm, or just your wrist?

It's in my wrist, shoulder, and elbow.
i get the stress in my shoulder to, i think the pain will go away at around a year of experience the way yourplaying now
<\\\SuBLiME\\\> ~ ~ ~~

This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help him on his way to world domination ...
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Most probably you use too much tension. Try to feel it when you are playing especially care about the shoulder and the thumb of the left arm. It could also be a poor playing posture that is giviing you these problems. Post some pics of your position and your left arm (playing a piece) from some different angles and well see if there are any obvious errors.
you probably have contracturas. I don't know the name for it in English. Go check out a physiotherapist, preferably a private one, like a sports doctor, rather than one on the social security. He'll fix you up.

I had what you have in your arm amongst other things.
Quote by C4ll3
Most probably you use too much tension. Try to feel it when you are playing especially care about the shoulder and the thumb of the left arm. It could also be a poor playing posture that is giviing you these problems. Post some pics of your position and your left arm (playing a piece) from some different angles and well see if there are any obvious errors.

I do notice that I am squeezing the neck too tight on some harder chords and stretches which is most likely the problem. My posture is fine according to my teacher and when watching others play, mine is identical. Is there anything I can do to not squeeze the neck so hard with my thumb?
Quote by linfield4466
I do notice that I am squeezing the neck too tight on some harder chords and stretches which is most likely the problem. My posture is fine according to my teacher and when watching others play, mine is identical. Is there anything I can do to not squeeze the neck so hard with my thumb?

Sit down with your guitar. place your fingers like this
e---4 pinky
B---3 ring
G---2 long
D---1 index

Place the fingers as close as possible to the metal-thingies (What's the english word for them?).
First play like you would normally, then lift them up a teeny bit until you get a buzzy tone. Then press down very slowly and try to find the exact amount of tension needed to get a good tone. Apply this when practicing the chords where you press down too hard. I had the same problem but solved it in about a month. you have to stop playing the hard pieces where you get the problems and just focus on having the right amount of tension. It is boring but playing without pain was motivation enough.
Keep your guitar at a tilt, I use a foot stool for that...
Also, Keep your thumb behind your neck. Don't squeeze the neck hard.

Do you play in classical position? some people "try to hard" to play in classical position and end up putting a lot of tension in their body. If your playing in that position and you don't feel comfortable I would look at some other people that play classical guitar to compare yourself.